U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM

2,073 posts, read 5,578,889 times

Advertisements

without using a power washer. I have some low areas that I can reach but what cleaner can I use? I don't want to invest in a power washer and it's just some dirt. Is vinegar and water a good cleaner for vinyl?

The side of my house had some mold so I used a weak solution of bleach and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM

22,274 posts, read 17,441,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
without using a power washer. I have some low areas that I can reach but what cleaner can I use? I don't want to invest in a power washer and it's just some dirt. Is vinegar and water a good cleaner for vinyl?

The side of my house had some mold so I used a weak solution of bleach and water.
I have a power washer and do not use it on my house. Just the garden hose. I use bleach on the mold.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM

3,728 posts, read 10,859,591 times
either home depot, costco, or online all do sell a product called house wash. You just hook it
up with the garden house and spray. That shoud work for you. Sometimes it is called by another name, but is same idea.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 PM

3,132 posts, read 7,578,693 times
my mom had a white, vinyl sided house and she used the windex window cleaner attachment that when on the hose..similar to yard fertizer attachment. she just shot it on there and said it worked great!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 PM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
I use a mixture of bleach;**** and spn and TSP which I got from a painter years ago that used it for prep work.It works well on vinyl too.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I use a mixture of bleach;**** and spn and TSP which I got from a painter years ago that used it for prep work.It works well on vinyl too.
Now that is funny. I dont care who ya are. That is funny as hell. CDs dirty word sensors picked out the name of that cleaning product and ****ed it.

I cant stop laughing.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,512,585 times
There is a product called Dirtex that supposedly works well too. It dissolves instantly in water and doesn't leave a residue (no rinsing needed).

Painters use it to wash down dirty interior walls before painting.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 PM

9,047 posts, read 16,465,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
either home depot, costco, or online all do sell a product called house wash. You just hook it
up with the garden house and spray. That shoud work for you. Sometimes it is called by another name, but is same idea.
I used that House Wash stuff a few hours ago to try to get the mildew off of my front porch. It didn't work very well, the mildew is still there.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:15 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,052,524 times
I just pressure washed half the house over the weekend- 2nd half coming next. One area is in a gable only accessed from the roof so I didn't want to haul a pressure washer up there (too long for the pressure wahsers hose which at least I can use on a tall ladder.) So I used Krud Kutter which is just like the cleaner described above- attaches to hose. Had to do it twice though but the area was really built up with pollen/dirt/you name it.

if you are close enough to the ground you could always supplement this efort with a boat brush or soemthing of the like.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 PM

858 posts, read 1,533,183 times
I painted our house last year and used a house wash/mildew killer called Jomax that comes in concentrate form before I did. Mix it with some bleach and water in a pump sprayer, spray it on, let it sit for a bit then rinse it off with a garden hose. We had some pretty good mildew under the eaves of a hip roof and some moss in a couple of places and it worked like a charm.

It's supposed to be safe for plants but I'm paranoid so I sprayed them all with water before and after anyway. No damage anywhere, although I can't be certain if it was my precautionary measure or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House