U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 PM

1,547 posts, read 3,703,886 times

Advertisements

So for a month or so I have had a severe ant infestation and ants are coming into both my bathrooms. I will try to make this short but so far to rid of the ants I have gone under the house 3x and sprayed since they are coming up from under the house - I think. I don't see them anywhere in the yard coming into my house so I guess they are under the house. I have sprayed in the cracks, outside the house, inside the house, under the house and everywhere I can. I noticed they were coming up between the tile and molding so I used silicone to try to seal them out but they keep finding new places to come in. Fast forward to a few days ago I have them really coming in since I placed ant traps. They have been coming and going for days. I feel like I am feeding an entire army of ants somewhere. I am wondering - are all of these ants dying? They have not stopped coming for days. I thought about plugging this hole too but then I thought just maybe I could kill the nest. I'm sure calling an exterminator will cost a lot and really can they do anymore than I have? Should I plug and see what happens or keep going like I am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,734,754 times
Options:
* Give the ant traps a week or so to work (the ants take the bait back to the nest and it takes a bit)
* Squirt some borax powder in the hole.
* mix borax with corn syrup, place in a bowl, and leave it out for a week or so
* Clean the bathroom daily, especially the sinks (sugar ants go for the toothpaste scum), then wipe down the bathroom in white vinegar - it will cover up their scent trails
* spread diatamatious earth in their path, their hole, and around the perimeter of the house
* spread bay leaves around

These are mostly environmentally friendly way to kill them/get rid of them/keep them out of your house. My husband has a thing for ants and sprays any and all ants he finds.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
They could be coming for food or moisture if your area is now very dry. Usually when you see a line that means they have found what they are lookig for.Small black ants clled suger ants can come i one location and actually be finding what they want in another part of the house.Normally food.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM

1,547 posts, read 3,703,886 times
Thanks for all your suggestions and keep em coming. I am thinking I am going to keep going as I am. Hopefully soon they will die out - I hope.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions and keep em coming. I am thinking I am going to keep going as I am. Hopefully soon they will die out - I hope.
I have had more success with "gel" ant baits like this one: Gourmet Ant Bait Gel 1 box (6 Tubes, 1.5 Oz. each) Professional Pest Control Product | AST Pest Products

than anything else. It does take a while to work and the ants do focus and intensify their foraging once they find the bait, but I will be surprised if you do not have good results.

A lot of "DIY Pest Controls" seem to be of limited usefulness (forget it if you are trying to control roaches), but in my experience gel ant baits have been one product that works as advertised.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM

27,237 posts, read 27,151,544 times
I used Ant B Gone, and nothing much seemed to change. I put out Terro at someone else's suggestion, and I'd never realized there would be so many ants!!

I still get a few here and there.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Options:
* Give the ant traps a week or so to work (the ants take the bait back to the nest and it takes a bit)
* Squirt some borax powder in the hole.
* mix borax with corn syrup, place in a bowl, and leave it out for a week or so
* Clean the bathroom daily, especially the sinks (sugar ants go for the toothpaste scum), then wipe down the bathroom in white vinegar - it will cover up their scent trails
* spread diatamatious earth in their path, their hole, and around the perimeter of the house
* spread bay leaves around

These are mostly environmentally friendly way to kill them/get rid of them/keep them out of your house. My husband has a thing for ants and sprays any and all ants he finds.
Is that true about them going after toothpaste scum? That's interesting. I never even heard of a Sugar Ant till I moved south. But yes I see them in the sink. I thought that weird.

To add a twist to this subject, we live full time in a large motor home. Many of our traveling fellow RVers all have ants too. So I guess Ants dont just need a safe dry dark passage through a foundation to get into a home. They also climb up your tires to get into motor homes and travel trailers too.

I do see in RV parks people setting Ant traps at each tire. I guess it's time I follow.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,292,259 times
I use the ant poison granules from Home Depot since they are poison bait that is transferred to the home colony. If you spray it kills them but I don't think it is taken back to the nest, at least not as easy as the granules.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,022,400 times
I have always had the best result with Terro-use the inside and outside traps.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 PM

7,941 posts, read 6,470,764 times
Terro gets my vote. I bought my house in 2007 and had ants in the downstairs bath, hall, dining room and kitchen. My sister told me to put the little cards around with the Terro gel and I have not had a problem since. Terro products are awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House