Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 25,827 times

Advertisements

Ok so my husband and I purchased our first home and are planning to rent out the basement. This is an old, small house but it does have beautiful wood floors on the first floor. The problem is that you can hear every single step that a person takes if you are down stairs in the basement. I am trying to figure out a way to reduce walking noise and creaking noise if possible. We put rug pad and rugs down and you can still hear the footsteps below. I know that soundproofing is usually done prior to laying down the floor but would it be possible to lay down some sort of foam insulation/sound barrier/flooring underlayment on top of my wood floors and then put another kind of flooring on top of that? I would lose height but I don't mind that. I really don't want to damage the wood floor, I'm trying to find a way around that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 03:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,751,792 times
Is the basement already finished off with a ceiling or are the floor joists of the first floor exposed? You might be able to quiet things down enough from the basement side with the right materials.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:19 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,391,831 times
Is it all over or just one or two places?

I've been able to "Inject" adhesive caulk between a bowed joist and plywood floor... really did the trick and it was cheap.

Some will use spray foam insulation and it really deadens sound transmission but is expensive to have it done.

Does your proposed basement meet applicable housing codes for your intended use?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-31-2016 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Is the basement already finished off with a ceiling or are the floor joists of the first floor exposed? You might be able to quiet things down enough from the basement side with the right materials.
Yes the basement is completely finished, it was that way when we bought it.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Is it all over or just one or two places?

I've been able to "Inject" adhesive caulk between a bowed joist and plywood floor... really did the trick and it was cheap.

Some will use spray foam insulation and it really deadens sound transmission but is expensive to have it done.

Does your proposed basement meet applicable housing codes for your intended use?
Yes it does.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:33 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,912,801 times
Don't laugh it does work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoVCy_z7jrk

Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM

15,686 posts, read 20,188,881 times
If you can't get to it from below, the only fix is to use screws on the topside designed to snap off.

Then you use a little wood filler to hide the holes.

3253 - (500) Squeeeeek No More / Countersnap Extra Snap-Off Screws - Fix Squeaky Floors | Stop Squeaky Floors DIY

There are dozens of products like this.

Only issue you may have is if your floors are recently done, it's hard to take a screwgun to them.

If you can get to any part of the underside in the basement, wood shims, a little condruction adhesive, of cault between the joists and subfloor will quet them doen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House