U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 02:36 PM

8,308 posts, read 34,907,180 times

Advertisements

Here's another one...

I don't necessarily already have the answer, but maybe...

I have a flourescent light fixture in my garage. In late 2007 this fixture was moved from an area inside the house. On the advice of my electrician, the ballast was replaced. It accepts somewhat unusual U-shaped bulbs. About a week ago the functionality diminished markedly. Neither of the bulbs wants to achieve full intensity; instead they hover at what appears to be about the halfway point. I can see a "pattern" in the bulbs, you might call it "myelinization" if your brain works similarly to mine. They started doing this at the same time. There is an audible crackle from the switch from time-to-time at start up. What's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,316,860 times
does your fixture have a starter? if so, replace that. if not, try a new bulb. if it still happens, replace the ballast.

different problems can give you the same result.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,634,971 times
Second Southgeorgia's suggestions. First thing that popped into my head was Ballast, but very well could be a bad tube.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Second Southgeorgia's suggestions. First thing that popped into my head was Ballast, but very well could be a bad tube.
I was thinking that I needed a new ballast since both of the bulbs manifested the same symptoms at the same time. It seemed pretty silly to not try replacing the bulbs first, had to go to a lightbulb specialty store and they had to order them. I'll let you know how it goes. No starter, by the way.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
i'm having a problem with a two fixtures in a single light cabinet as the bulbs also do not turn on all of the way. However, if you even lightly touch one of the bulbs in each fixture they light up all of the way. There's got to be something easy here..??... Any ideas?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,634,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger303 View Post
i'm having a problem with a two fixtures in a single light cabinet as the bulbs also do not turn on all of the way. However, if you even lightly touch one of the bulbs in each fixture they light up all of the way. There's got to be something easy here..??... Any ideas?
Sounds like they are not seated all the way in the sockets, or you have a bad socket.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 AM

Never did give an update. Replacing the tubes fixed the problem. It was counterintuitive to me that the tubes could both have the exact same problem at exactly the same time, but evidently flourescent tubes mate for life.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,316,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Never did give an update. Replacing the tubes fixed the problem. It was counterintuitive to me that the tubes could both have the exact same problem at exactly the same time, but evidently flourescent tubes mate for life.
could've only been one bad lamp, but the ballast was built to drive two lamps, and without one, nothing works.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
could've only been one bad lamp, but the ballast was built to drive two lamps, and without one, nothing works.
Aaaaah... I think a lightbulb just lit up...

Old 11-18-2009, 06:00 PM

19,207 posts, read 20,026,438 times
It has been my experience that it's best to replace both bulbs/tubes in the fixture at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or