Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:52 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,215 times

Advertisements

We're going to replace the siding on our house. Not sure what to use. We originally thought about hardiplank. pros/cons? any other materials to consider? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM

169 posts, read 1,486,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
We're going to replace the siding on our house. Not sure what to use. We originally thought about hardiplank. pros/cons? any other materials to consider? thanks
you have to paint and do minor repairs on hardiplank every 5-6 years which will cost more money than putting vinyl sidings which just needs pressure washing which you can do by renting the pressure washer.

everyone has different choice as far as external appearance is concerned. i guess hardiplank looks better than vinyl siding.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM

23,513 posts, read 69,899,087 times
Hardiplank is also very fire resistant, which is one reason we chose it. I tested by building a fire under some of it and seeing if it would eventually burn. Nope. Not so with vinyl. Vinyl can also lose the UV inhibitors or crack from impact while cold. Vinyl can fade. Getting a color match on older vinyl can be an issue.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
I'd go hardie any day over vinyl siding as its said vinyl isd not final. Bascially any color other than whte is not able to be matched i teh future;it gets brittle with age;its reallt has to be put on loose as its expnds and contrct and 80% of vinyl job look like heck in a few years.Drive aroiud and lok for youreslf at viunyl.Besides it looks ceap IMO. Hardie actaully does require painting and repainting but not evry five years oif done with good quality paint and keep clean by house washing.many don't like to buy a house with vinyl because on so many the vinyl hides alot of problem behind it.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,215 times
Thanks for the responses. For the most part, I do agree about vinyl. I have seen some, however, that looks really nice. I was thinking about it in terms of low maintenance.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:58 PM

43,015 posts, read 76,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Thanks for the responses. For the most part, I do agree about vinyl. I have seen some, however, that looks really nice. I was thinking about it in terms of low maintenance.
Fibercement, aka Hardieplank is OK. It will buckle as it expands and contracts, so proper installation is mandatory.
Also, whether installing Hardie or Vinyl, make sure the installer puts a housewrap like Tyvek on the exterior of the home.

If you select a vinyl, I am partial to Craneboard, insulated vinyl siding. It is a top end product and superior to cheap builders' grade stuff.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,146,718 times
A good thing about vinyl siding is that it does not add any weight. I agree with mike about the insulated vinyl. It adds some insulation value without ripping the house apart to do it although you could also put firring strips over the sheathing, hang insulation board and then tack the siding to the strips.

I prefer old fashion felt paper to Tyvek. In my area as homes from the dawn of Tyvek are now being remodelled and repaired it really is not looking so great when it gets exposed. I am in the coastal south so it might be doing better in other areas but a lot of us in this area are returning to building felt.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM

733 posts, read 4,642,648 times
Hardie Plank or an equivalent cement board siding is my choice. We've used lots of it residing commercial property and in new residential construction. My 3 biggest beefs with vinyl are (1) OK, this is completely a matter of personal preference but I just don't like the look of a plastic building anymore than I like plastic shoes. No matter what brand or the skill of the installer, it's still vinyl siding, looks like vinyl siding, and feels and sounds like vinyl siding. (2) It melts. Have a neighbors home go up, or a prairie or woodland fire, or any nearby heat, the stuff will deform if not melt right off. (3) Wind. Once the wind gets under any part of it, good bye to lots of square footage. The only time we lost any cement board siding was when the tornado took the whole building.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:01 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,801,004 times
Would agree with the Hardi or equivalent choices as well. The fire resistance and low maintenance is far superior. Here in San Diego it is just about the only siding material we can use after the fires. One good mention was the added weight of fiber-cement board siding, when we spec Hardi for a house we design the engineer does have to know that for the calcs and some of the member sizing. It is likely not to have to re-engineer or make modifications to an existing house but there is that possibility to be aware of.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times
Cement board siding is the greener alternative because of the chemicals used in manufacturing Vinyl siding. Vinyl siding has been linked to health problems also because of the chemicals it contains.

HowStuffWorks "Is your vinyl siding killing you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House