Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 PM

153 posts, read 858,785 times

Advertisements

Today I decided to figure out why my bathroom sink was so slow. I figure its clogged with hair and soap scum. So I go to remove the sink stopper but it cannot be removed as it is attached. So I went under the sink and loosened the bolt that holds the pivot arm, so that I could remove it and remove the stopper and clean out the clog. Well all that worked fine. I Put it back together tightened the pivot nut and thought everything was fine. But nope it isnt. It now leaks from where that pivot arm is put in. I have taken it back off and redone it at least 6 times and it still leaks.
I have no clue what I could have done wrong. I need help. I dont have the money to pay a plumber. Any suggestions?

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to email me personally or on here if you can tell me what might be wrong.

breezmom@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
Today I decided to figure out why my bathroom sink was so slow. I figure its clogged with hair and soap scum. So I go to remove the sink stopper but it cannot be removed as it is attached. So I went under the sink and loosened the bolt that holds the pivot arm, so that I could remove it and remove the stopper and clean out the clog. Well all that worked fine. I Put it back together tightened the pivot nut and thought everything was fine. But nope it isnt. It now leaks from where that pivot arm is put in. I have taken it back off and redone it at least 6 times and it still leaks.
I have no clue what I could have done wrong. I need help. I dont have the money to pay a plumber. Any suggestions?

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to email me personally or on here if you can tell me what might be wrong.

breezmom@gmail.com
The pivot arm has a ball on it doesn't it?
Doesn't that ball set into the tailpiece, and the nut tightens to secure the ball?
If so, that ball also helps seal the assembly.
It may be that the ball is not seating right when the nut is tightened.

Or I could be all wet...

Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,319,301 times
Sounds right but you might have a concave plastic washer that is stuck in the hole where the pivot arm goes. Take it all apart and put it back together till it doesn't leak without the stopper. If it's still sorta slow you cover the over flow with your hand or a rag and plunge it till it breaks free. Reinstall the stopper and make sure it's seated right and you are not cross threading it. Make sure if you have a plastic washer it's not stuck in the hole and tighten hand tight while running cold water, if it doesn't leak under cold water then it won't leak under hot because of expansion. Verify it doesn't leak under slight pressure by filling sink and letting drain, if no leaks founds you're good to go.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Sounds right but you might have a concave plastic washer that is stuck in the hole where the pivot arm goes. Take it all apart and put it back together till it doesn't leak without the stopper. If it's still sorta slow you cover the over flow with your hand or a rag and plunge it till it breaks free. Reinstall the stopper and make sure it's seated right and you are not cross threading it. Make sure if you have a plastic washer it's not stuck in the hole and tighten hand tight while running cold water, if it doesn't leak under cold water then it won't leak under hot because of expansion. Verify it doesn't leak under slight pressure by filling sink and letting drain, if no leaks founds you're good to go.
Oh, yeah...

A washer.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,319,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh, yeah...

A washer.
They can be a pain especially if they are worn or warped. Occasionally I replace the whole kit n' kaboodle, it's easier than finding parts sometimes.

P.S. it might not be a concave washer either some have a typical plastic washer. Either way when I have had issues that's been the culprit.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
Sometimes if you just give that round knurled nut that covers the ball one extra gentle tightening that should be enough. If it dont then you may have to replace the drain. The part is less then $10 but are you handy enough to do it yourself? Or do you have a large water pump pliers?

Even if you end up hiring a handyman it should not be too expensive. The part is less then $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House