Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,533,525 times

Advertisements

Don't use steel wool pads as they will put peices of the steel wool embedded in the stainlesss and then that will rust. Always use a non-rusting pad on stainless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 AM

275 posts, read 1,756,931 times
I use Bon Ami and a sponge, cloth, or scotch brite pad. Bon Ami is a nonabrasive powder that won't scratch the pan or pot.

It works, but sometimes does require some elbow grease!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
Just ignore it. The stuff has been sterilized. Cooked on carbon is why cast iron cook ware works so well. Cooked on carbon will come off if you simmer some tomato sauce in the pot for a while.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,362,769 times
Take baking soda and water and boil it on the stove, it will come right off. I got so tired of stuff sticking to those pans I went back to non-stick.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,030,720 times
If it's really that bad try the oven cleaner. Just spray a little in there and put the lid back on the pot. I'd put do it in the garage or on the back patio just so the fumes aren't in the house.

Cleaning stainless steel shouldn't be a huge chore if you are a bit careful. Spray or oil the pan first, keep stirring the eggs as they cook (if scrambled) and you shouldn't have a big clean-up. Soak in hot water if needed, scrape off the stuck stuff (I keep an old credit card, they make great scrapers!!) and a little bit of bon ami or stove top cleaner if there is anything else.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM

41,740 posts, read 74,721,167 times
Who says you can't use abrasive stuff on stainless steel pots? Steel wool pads work every time, and don't harm the pot.

Quote:
Don't use steel wool pads as they will put peices of the steel wool embedded in the stainlesss and then that will rust. Always use a non-rusting pad on stainless.
Uhhh, rinse the pan?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,172,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Definitely use the baking soda method recommended above. Years ago I threw away a perfectly good quality stainless steel pot because I didn't know how to get the cooked-on food off, having tried hot water, soap, etc. The next time it happened, I boiled some baking soda in a pot with burned on food, and the baked on stuff just came "sliding" on out.
If its stuck really bad, putting baking soda in the pan and then vinegar, letting it foam up, then putting water and simmering will take off what baking soda alone won't. It works especially well if there is grease.

The baking soda/vinegar method also works well with sinks when they run slow. Just give it time to sit for an hour or so and run hot water.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,934,101 times
Dobie Pads and Barkeepers Friend cleanser is good. Also try vinegar. I forget but I think you boil the vinegar in the pan but I like the special cleanser for SS and Dobie Pad. Wash with dish detergent after the cleanser.

BTW, nylon dobie pads you can get at local supermarket or walmart near the bon ami or barkeepers freind.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:24 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,934,101 times
I use SS for some things to cook but love cast iron as I can season it and food tastes better cooked in cast iron so I have all 3, SS, non-stick and cast iron.......lol.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,030,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Who says you can't use abrasive stuff on stainless steel pots? Steel wool pads work every time, and don't harm the pot.

Uhhh, rinse the pan?
It will definitely scratch the finish on the outside of the pot. Bon Ami doesn't scratch, but I rarely have to use it. I don't think I've ever had a pan so bad that it would take steel wool to clean it. What are you cooking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House