Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,740 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This is my first post. I'm buying a house in McKinney, TX. It is less than one year old and seems in good shape. I was making an offer and stopped when saw this on the brick wall. It runs from the top to the bottom of the wall. Is that normal? Again, it is a 2008 construction.

Thank you in advance

http://cbarroso.com/brick4.jpg (broken link)

http://cbarroso.com/brick2.jpg (broken link)

http://cbarroso.com/brick.jpg (broken link)http://cbarroso.com/brick3.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by old_parr; 05-12-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Nope it ain't normal.......

You got a major type failure in progress.

Somehow one section is sinking in relation to the other, forces are cracking the brick wall thru a line. Somebody has tried to patch it with caulk. Definitely not good, points to problems in the foundation or footing or whatever is supporting the brick. Definitely should not be happening in a new construction type project quickly.

Difficult to tell what might be the cause from the photos but they say, major forces are acting in a very bad way. Naw, I would be totally reconsidering purchase of such a defective puppy. This is not minor. Needs to be looked at very carefully, fully understood.

In my book, you never fix these puppies, especially if you don't already own it. Big tip off, something is seriously wrong at the support level for the house in general. Do not let them talk you into believing this is minor or should be ignored. These type defects are deal breakers. Depending on what else is involved, I would be walking away quick. Definitely not good. Would get me looking very, very carefully at the total house. This puppy has foundation / support type problems.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Isn't that what is called an expansion joint? The line is vertical and straight (single line)

Old 05-12-2009, 05:16 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
That doesn't look good. If you do decide to make the offer you will need to get the house inspected. The inspector should be able to tell you exactly what the problem is and that should help decide whether you should continue with the purchase or not..

Old 05-12-2009, 05:17 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
ask them about it.

it could be a support failure, but its a pretty clean line. it almost looks like it was cut.

was there a crack in the slab also?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_parr View Post
Isn't that what is called an expansion joint? The line is vertical and straight (single line)
could be. i'm not a mason so i can't say for sure.

but its a clean line. and the bricks are still perfectly aligned. i've seen foundations crack and fall, and it doesn't look like this.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_parr View Post
I'm a native Dallasite and that is NORMAL in a brick wall in THIS area of the country. It is for expansion as your house is most likely a slab on grade or maybe a post tension because most of the soils in this area are clay and they expand and contract. Look on every house on the block and you see and they will all have this. No big deal. Now if you see JAGGED cracks or mortar & brick repairs THAT is not normal and it does mean foundation problems or they have been repaired.

Your inspector should notice anything abnormal and alert you to it and you can then get a structural engineers report for the foundation. But an expansion joint is just what you saw on that house. No biggie at all

Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
It's a control or expansion joint. Nothing unusual.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Is anyone else get a real good laugh out of the 'sky is falling' responses?

Okay- maybe its just me. Usually they color match the sealant in the expansion joint to the mortar or the brick color so it does not stand out so badly. If it were a crack it would not be nearly as uniform.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 AM

Thank you very much!!! They accept my offer! Not my dream home, but a good and cheap first house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House