U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 AM

41 posts, read 290,675 times

Advertisements

What do people prefer these days? Does one cost less then the other to maintain (ie electric bill cost vs gas bill cost?) Do you think either one help with resale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 AM
rfb

1,821 posts, read 4,894,087 times
Gas range top and electric oven for me, but my wife and I love to cook. The ability to instantly adjust the temperature is wonderful. But, it is much harder to clean due to the grates above the burners.

Unless you cook an awful lot, I doubt either will have a major impact on your electric or gas bill. Maybe the oven, but even that will probably be dwarfed by the HVAC and hot water heater.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 AM

9,540 posts, read 25,965,676 times
I prefer a gas range as well since I think they are the best to cook on. Unfortunately, although they can be found, they were not as common in the homes in our price range ( $165K). I think people in higher price ranges come to expect a gas range in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 AM

193 posts, read 169,845 times
Electric w/ a flat cooking surface is money.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 AM

3,021 posts, read 9,781,875 times
I totally agree with the above posts (gas stove, electric oven), but that is because I like to cook. We are far more likely to throw a dinner party than to go out to a restaurant.

I have basically given up on finding a gas range during our home search because it seems every house has an electric cooker - usually the smooth-topped ones. It says a lot about the status & priorities of today's families. Most people are far too busy to do a lot of cooking. It's more important to whip something up quickly & clean it quickly, too. I feel that I must be in the minority because I would rather cook with gas & deal with the extra bit of cleaning time.

I decided that I can deal with an electric cooker for a little while so I'm not ruling out houses just because the stove isn't gas. As long as the house has access to gas & we can install a gas range later, I'm okay.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 AM

22 posts, read 131,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post

I have basically given up on finding a gas range during our home search because it seems every house has an electric cooker ...

I decided that I can deal with an electric cooker for a little while so I'm not ruling out houses just because the stove isn't gas. As long as the house has access to gas & we can install a gas range later, I'm okay.
We came to the same conclusion - you cut out the vast majority of houses if you limit yourself to ones with gas stoves. The one we bid on is all electric, and the house doesn't have access to gas either. So our plan is to replace the electric stove (and hopefully dryer) with propane.

Cheers, Liam

Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 AM

653 posts, read 2,688,810 times
If you cook a lot, you'll prefer gas, but I haven't found it to make a huge difference in resale. I agree with pp, though, my personal preference is definitely gas! We bought our house early enough in construction to have a gas line run, and that was the best thing I ever did - because I wanted it, not because it added value to the house.

Cleanup is harder. If you can, get dark burner grates. We have cream colored GE profile appliances that came with gray grates, and they're hopelessly charred. Black or dark grates would have looked better in the long run.

And, on the rare occasion that the power goes out, we can still cook! We just light the burners manually, and poof - hot dinner! (My neighbor once brought a half cooked meatloaf to throw in my oven during a power outage. )

Old 04-09-2007, 09:14 AM

21 posts, read 87,508 times
Smile Gas or electric range

I cook a lot and prefer a gas range...however all the homes we looked at in our price range (190k to 240K) only offer electric. We did ask if we could convert and some places said yes but it will be pricie.
After looking at a lot of resale and new homes we decided to go with new construction and the gas range was an option It was included in the price of the appliance! depending on the appliance style it can cost between $700 and $1500.

Good luck in your home search and hopefully you'll be happy with your decision (gas vs electric).

Old 04-09-2007, 09:34 AM

548 posts, read 2,362,301 times
Definitely gas.

For resale, it does make a difference over about the $500-$750K mark. Gas is expected.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 AM

2,813 posts, read 11,756,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moesgirl View Post
What do people prefer these days? Does one cost less then the other to maintain (ie electric bill cost vs gas bill cost?) Do you think either one help with resale?
I prefer gas stoves only because I can control the temperature much more accurately and avoid a skillet from getting too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or