Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times

Advertisements

I actually put in 2 cap fulls of Murphy Oil soap along with the detergent (whatever is on sale) and bleech and whites are really white. I was told this by a friend that cleans houses....plus I always use the clothesline, dryers make the white clothes a yellowish color.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,317 times
if you really want your clothes white use 1/4 cup of "Simple Green" to your detergent. i use tide, oxyclean and the simple green and all my clothes look brand new. amazing!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,170 times
I have a HE Amana Front load washing machine and it has 3 compartments one for your detergent,one for the fabric softner and one for the clorine bleach..Do i have to have all 3 of them in it before it will run? that is what I heard anyways.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
On our Kenmore, it has 3 cups on one slide, the slide has to be in for the machine to work.

If you have 3 separate slides, I would expect they all have to be in (and microswitches indicating that to the ECU working) for it to start. You can generally hear the switches click when they make up.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 37,888 times
I am like the original poster. I live in FL, water is extremely hard where we live. I also have a water softner over the whole house. I have tried all frabic softners and detergents, including clorox, and clorox 2. All HE. I have even changed the brands on my front loaders (Frigdere, GE, and LG). No luck. I will try the non-phosphorous detergent.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
^

I have the worst luck with Clorox. Either my clothes turn yellow, or I get holes in my clothes... particularly socks and underwear.

I guess I am using too much... but sometimes, I only use about 1 tbs for a large front loader washer load... still have problems described above.

White clothes turn yellow, browish from the dryer. If you hang the whites on a clothesline they will not get yellow, plus the sun bleaches them naturally.
Sorry, but I just hate dryers.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:33 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
In general front loaders clean better and are more gentle on your clothes. So if you are not getting the softness that you used to, it is likely that there is somehting wrong with the methods.

You need to consider what is different. If you are using the same water as before, then it is not the water that caused the problem, unless your water hardness suddenly changed by chance at the same time that you bought the front loader.

Try a different detergent. Maybe you are not rising all of the soap out. ALso front lodaing washers need a lot less detergent, maybe you are using too much. We found very little difference in cleaning with different detergents. The regular detergents tend to foam up more in a front loader and can require double rinsing. We always double rinse anyway becuase I am allergic to Tide and Tide cleans the best, so we prefer to use it. WIth a single rinse, the laundry sometimes gives me a rash. Double rinse and no problems.

It may be that you are overloading your front loader, but this is unlikely because front loaders can be loaded up more than top loaders and still function properly. You have to pack a front loader really full to make it not clean properly. Most people who switch to front loaders underload them (and waste water) rather than overloading, but it is a possibility.

It could be that the agitator in your old washer was beating up your landry and making it softer. If so, it was also wearing your laundry out faster. However beating the snot out of freshly washed clothing does make it softer. You could lay your laundry in the driveway and drive over it for a while to soften it up if you want, but put some plastic bags over it to keep it clean. Or you could take your freshly cleaned laundry and beat it with a hammer. That will have a similar effect to a top loading agitator.

We found that putting a small scoop of borax in the laundry makes it clena better and the clothes softer.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:38 PM

Bleach will turn your clothing yellow, especially if you use too much. I have never heard of a dryer turning clothing yellow or brown. I cannot understand how that would happen unless your dryer drum is dirty, or maybe your clothing is picking up color from other clothing. A dryer works the same as a furnace using gas or electricity to heat up metal tubes that have air blowing through them. The hot air then blows on your clothing. There is nothing in a dryer to turn clothes any color. The gas fumes do not touch the air that blows on your clothing. It is just hot air blown through a tube. (Do you live in L.A.? The air there is often brown, so maybe you are blowing brown air onto your clothing).

Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 PM

I jsut thought, maybe the sun bleaches your clothing while they are line drying. That might make them whiter. THe sun will bleach out colored clothing, so perhaps it also makes whites whiter.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,693 times
I dont know if youve found a solution yet, but i'm in the same spot. My husband and I switched to front load washers and I have noticed my whites are no where near as when I used the top load washer. I've pointed this out to my hhusband but he just accuses me of not liking the new washer because it doesnt make suds due to it being a HE appliance, but thats not the case at all.\\ Please help me someone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House