U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:46 AM

3,155 posts, read 7,043,637 times

Advertisements

Sellers, do you ask that potential clients take their shoes off in your house?

Buyers, do you mind when sellers ask you to remove their shoes?

The last house we sold I was once on the way out the garage door and heard a woman say to her realtor "Do we really have to take off our shoes?" And the realtor said "That's what the sign says". And the woman huffed.

I just had my hardwoods refinished in Jan and carpets cleaned this week.
What's the verdict? Shoes or no shoes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,764,815 times
Having looked at many houses for sale over the last few years, both in CT and NC, I did run into a few places in NC asking us to remove shoes. I didn't really mind, although had I realized it, I would have not worn laced shoes : ) Plus, we had our family with us, so seven people had to remove/replace their shoes each time...I see why they ask that, it wasn't offensive, many feet make for tracks. Maybe place a basket for the shoes and a chair or bench to sit on to put them back on. A few places, I had to sit on the stoop to put the toddler's shoes on, and it had rained...

Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 AM

19,747 posts, read 31,573,215 times
Have your agent put it in the showing instructions, so they know when they are making the appointment. Put a small sign at the door to remind them.
I caution my Buyers to wear kick-off/slip-on shoes so they aren't stuck lacing up in a home with no furniture to sit on.

No shoes is fine. If the home is really clean.
We left a house one day and I glanced at my notes and said, "Whoops. We were supposed to remove our shoes in there." We broke up laughing. The place was just filthy.

Also, we were in a couple of vacant homes recently where the Sellers demanded no shoes and had turned off the heat. Not a good showing presentation!
Buyers liked one, and I said, "Put your shoes on. It is too cold in here to walk around in socks on wood and tile floors."

Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 AM

133 posts, read 542,471 times
Default I vote for NO shoes!

If you've worked hard at getting your place cleaned up and in "show-shape", I think you would have every right to ask that. As a buyer, I wouldn't find it a big deal. But then again, we always take our shoes off when we enter a home...ANY home. I think it's part of the Asian culture/influence here in Hawaii. I know in the new SDs here, they have clear signs on the front door that says "No shoes, food, drink...etc."

It might take a while to get used to when we make the move...leaving our shoes on. I just think it's kind of weird! Think of all the yucky stuff that's at the bottom of your shoes...and you're tracking that all over the house! Eeewww!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 AM

548 posts, read 1,844,983 times
I don't particularly like removing my shoes when looking, although I'll do it. Doesn't start me off "on a good foot" though.

I prefer when people have those little blue booties (like in hospitals) available which I can put right over my shoes. Protects their floors/carpets, I don't have to remove my shoes. Best of both worlds.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 AM

237 posts, read 744,561 times
It doesn't bother me if people wear their shoes while viewing our home. Lord knows my family doesn't always remove their shoes when they come in so I'd be hard pressed to think it is a potential buyer messing the floors but rather some "little feet" that LIVE here!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 AM

694 posts, read 1,906,306 times
Get the "hospital blue boots shoe cover" that was mentioned. They are great. Ah and let me know where did you buy them because I can't find them at the stores

Old 04-12-2007, 08:12 AM

193 posts, read 31,820 times
Sellers could just put down plastic or carpet runners in the high traffic areas and avoid the situation entirely.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:13 AM

19,747 posts, read 31,573,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheel View Post
Sellers could just put down plastic or carpet runners in the high traffic areas and avoid the situation entirely.
Not a bad idea.
But... if you ever tour with kids, the runner had better be room-sized.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:38 AM

959 posts, read 3,284,485 times
I never mind if there is a little sign saying to take your shoes off. In fact, I often take them off without being asked if I see pristeen carpets on the main level. We have a no shoes rule at our house. It's not cultural or anything - I just hate to vaccuum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House