U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 PM

65 posts, read 241,308 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in the Princeton area (NJ) about a year and half back. We have a finished baement which has been dry through the massive rains we have been having lately. However, on sunday ( after saturday's afternoon deluge in this area), I noticed that the floor molding of a small section ( about 2-3ft) of the basement felt damp to the touch though the carpeting on the floor was dry. This area is directly below the kitchen dining patio door. I dont have water in there as yet. I have a concrete patio which has settled and about one third of it puddles up during the rains and the adjoining flower beds around the foundation there have settled so its easy to see the possible area where the water is collecting and seeping in case of very heavy rains like saturday. I dont have a downspout there and all our other downspouts drain water far away from the house. I want to fix this before it escalates. Looks like we have to regrade the area around that place. I would like to know the experience of others with similar problems. If someone knows a good and reasonable landscaper in this area who does this kind of regrading work, please let me know. I dont want to call in a waterproofing company rightaway who will not look for easier and more obvious external fixes but will insist on an interior drainage system. Thanks a lot for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 17,505 times
Default Regrading to prevent water infiltration

I just read your thread because I am searching for similar information. I'm not sure if you ever got a response but I'd love to know how you addressed the issue and if you were satisfied. We have a new house with a cement patio off the basement which is flush with the door and siding and water inflitration was sufficient (although not apparent) to rot the wood and create mold (also not apparent until we did a mold test before buying the house) and need to come up with a permanent fix to prevent future inflitration. We are thinking that removing the concrete (ie lowering the grade) and installing a drain and more porous surface is the answer but we are struggling to find the right person to help us with this and complete the work. I know you can't help us with this because we live in NC but I'd like to know how you resolved your issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or