Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM

506 posts, read 2,279,474 times

Advertisements

the vinyl tiles just all came up as if the glue dried out....their is no water problem as it is on the 2nd fl hall way ...can i just go and glue new tiles over the old floor or will it just come up again the floor has only been down for about 6 years....I removed all the tiles, but their is still old dried out glue left, which is not coming up easy..................thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
When we had the laundry room covered the guy that did it has been instling floors for like 30 years. he used a underlayment that was designed for the purp[ose and it had a mositure baiire installed. go to Congoleum.com and they have a good installation instructions that talks about concrete and wood floor with vinyl and their other prodcuts. They give specifc recommendations on underlayment . I know the guy that did ours said that moisture ic a problem with the new envornomantal gluies compared to teh older glues. Check the site. As far as the glue ;you can buy a floor scraper at Lowes or about any place that sells flooring to teh public. Do it right and I doubt you'll have the unsticking problem again good luck

Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Yeah, just scrap it off.....

Maybe sand a bit.

You can actually contact glue them tiles in. Really makes them just about impossible to get out. About the only thing that will cause failure is excessive moisture enough to damage the floor. Even that takes a long time for them puppies to lift off again.

Was one of my standard ways to fix the problem. That standard glue is worthless. Especially those ones that come with the self stick stuff.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:32 AM

506 posts, read 2,279,474 times
Default what type of contact

glue do you think , i should use thanks...........

Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Beware when using

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
glue do you think , i should use thanks...........
Weldwood Contact Cement - Gel Formula, you can get it at any home center. Quart is about $10, gallon about $30.

Be aware it is dangerous if improper used. Shutdown any open flame source, stoves, water heater, furnace, etc. Open doors and windows, use a fan to establish free air flow thru the working area and make a path to exhaust any fumes. The fumes are extremely flamable. Leave the forced air flow through the work area for several hours after completed. It helps to close off all other doors to other areas of the house, put one fan blowing in (say a window / door) to the work area, put another fan blowing out from a window / door in the exit of the work area. This is one way to establish a very safe vented work area.

It probably helps to apply the glue to the tiles outdoors and leave it set up out there. That way you only have the fumes from the setting glue on the floor indoors to deal with. Both surfaces receive a coat of glue, they "Dry to the touch", it will also change color and appearance from a sort of wet look to a film looking covering, you have working time up to like 20 minutes and then are brought into contact with each other bonding extremely tight. Therefore you must have perfect placement methods in putting the tiles in place. Put one edge down first to judge alignment. If you are a total rookie maybe try a test on some scrap pieces bonded together to get the hang of it outdoors first. Temperature will affect setting times. The higher the ambient air temperature the faster you must work. Do only a few until you get the hang of it. There is a wait time involved.

DO NOT TAKE THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS LIGHTLY. IT CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS ESPECIALLY IF THE FUMES ARE ALLOWED TO COLLECT IN AN ENCLOSED UNVENTED AREA.

NO SMOKING WHAT SO EVER AROUND CONTACT CEMENT WORK, EITHER IN DOORS OR OUT DOORS. NO SOURCE OF OPEN FLAME OR SPARKS. IT WILL NOT JUST BURN BUT EXPLODE UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS.

It is actually quite safe with the right precautions, I use it routinely for many tasks. Always follow the safety precautions, read the directions on the can carefully.

Last edited by Cosmic; 06-18-2009 at 06:47 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 02:48 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Weldwood contact cement is an excellent product. Cosmic's precautions are excellent. One more to keep in mind - if you fail to properly ventilate and shut down flame sources not only will you risk explosion, but the stuff will make you goofy. I recall there's a warning on the jug that says the fumes and vapors "May Cause Brain Damage." Having worked with it in some less well ventilated areas, I can tell you they aren't kidding.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Use a floor scraper and a liquid product called "Krud Cutter" (available at Wal-Mart or Home Depot, maybe Lowes). Krud Cutter is non-toxic, biodegradeable and has a pleasant odor. Mop it on or put it in a spray bottle.

I had glue residue on my concrete garage floor after ripping up old linoleum, and after soaking it in Krud Kutter for about 10-15 minutes, I could scrape it off like butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House