Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:03 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,702 times

Advertisements

I just saw a house today wich I liked very, very,very much. A very charming cottage on almost one acre. The location is superb, schools are great everything is so right, even the price is good, but the siding I was told is asbesto. The realtor told me if not disturbed it would not be a problem. But I don't know if it is that simple.Also I would like to know if a house with that kind of siding sits longer on the market. Is it expensive to have it removed by highly qualified professionals? When they are finished how do I know the job was done right?I do not have the money to pay for someone to do the job, someone else to inspect if the job was done right,etc...Buy it or forget it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 05:43 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,881,742 times
We had asbestos in our house (basement) and lived with it for years.
When it came time to sell, we had it professionally removed for about a thousand bucks. Maybe you could put removal in your contract?
A neighbor did it herself: she wet it down, wore protective clothing, and disposed of it at a hazardous waste site.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,792,778 times
I wouldn't think since it is on the outside of the house that it would present you with any health problems. That is a totally unprofessional opinion on my behalf though, so I would consult with someone who has the credentials to back up any opinion.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:19 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,016,190 times
From what I have seen on HGTV (lmao!) I think asbestos in the siding is okay; expensive to remove but since it is safe, it is usually left alone. But I wouldn't buy a house with asbestos anywhere; if others feel the same as I do, that could affect your resale value and how quickly you are able to sell.

If I were you, I would either make a low offer and plan to remove it myself (with a paid professional), or make a higher offer and request it be removed and the home be resided. Your realtor should be able to recommend a couple of places to call and get a rough estimate of how much it would cost to remove the siding and replace it, and you can make an offer based on that information.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:12 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,672,961 times
Default Before you go to GQ.....

Exactly what does it look like?

Is it the hardboard type of panels that look something like big shingles or is it a thicker softer type of sheet goods. A pix will help a lot.

Some of the shingle types, usually called Masonite in many cases did have asbestos in them along with some cement. Those are not a problem in most cases, the real danger was in cutting them. They can be carefully removed and discarded.

The real danger is in getting the micro fibers airborne and breathing it. If you have the really dangerous stuff it is actually illegal to mess with it yourself in many places. Plus you will need an approved disposal site.

In many cases you can just cover it with new siding. One of the approved methods is to encapulate it on site.

If you have the Masonite type shingle, they just paint it. They hold paint extremely well, good coat of oil based primer, with either oil or latex over top, in effect encapulates anything on the surface. It really does not shed fibers, they are buried in the interior of the product.

But first start by showing us exactly what it is. Good up close pixs help a lot. There is a thick softer product with a fiber base that is quite dangerous. But again that also can be just covered and left in place.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,690 times
Default Asbestos siding

Yeah, what Cosmic said! I have asbestos siding on my house and so does most of my neighborhood. The houses that don't have it, well, it's hidden under vinyl siding. It's NOT an issue unless you rip a skilsaw through it to put in a new french door to your patio. Wet it first to deter any of those nasty little asbestos fibers from becoming air born and entering your lungs. Dispose of it properly. Otherwise, don't let it deter you from purchasing your dream cottage. Paint it your favorite shade and consider it "vintage".

Old 04-16-2007, 10:07 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,690 times
Default For your peace of mind:

ASBESTOS SIDING FAQ’s from http://www.nachi.org/

What is the story with asbestos siding on the outside of a house? Take it off, paint it, or what?
If the siding is not powdery or flaky, it is usually left alone or painted (before it DOES get flaky).
If it IS flaky / powdery, a professional team is usually called in to deal with it (removal).
Most Sellers like to make sure that their home has a fresh coat of paint before it goes on the market.

Is working with asbestos roofing and siding hazardous?
Asphalt or cement roofing and siding that contain asbestos, when intact and in good condition, are generally considered "nonfriable" and are not hazardous. Nonfriable means they cannot be broken up by hand pressure. Paper-like vapor barriers can present more of a hazard. Just having asbestos siding and roofing on your home does not necessarily pose a hazard to your health.
Heat, water, weathering or aging can weaken siding and roofing to the point where they are considered friable. They can be crumbled, pulverized or reduced to powder by hand pressure. The siding and roofing can be made friable when it's being removed. Friable materials can release asbestos fibers into the air. Once in the air, asbestos fibers present a health hazard to people who inhale those fibers.

Do I need to remove asbestos roofing and siding?
Asbestos-containing roofing and siding in good condition is best left alone. You do have the option of repairing damaged roofing and siding. Avoid breaking, sanding, cutting, drilling and sawing the materials during repair. This can release asbestos fibers into the air. Asbestos concrete siding can be patched with caulk which can be used outdoors and can also be painted with latex paint. You can also sometimes cover asbestos roofing and siding with new materials. Check your local building codes.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:39 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,702 times
thank you all for the time took to help me out. It was very nice and I appreciated it very much. No, asbestos is not for me. I want to be free to drill holes any time I want.Love window boxes.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 16,532 times
Default asbestos

Asbestos is dangerous. You cannot side a asbestos sides house, unless you consult with a haz mat company, because as soon as you drill into the asbestos tiles, you release the DANGEROUS fibers. As soon as these 100 year old houses start to show siding wear down you are endangering others. Any real estate agent who tells you other wise is either:
a. uninformed
b. uncaring
c. only thinking you are a "sale" to them
Know your facts, get many opinions and realize tht whole generations of factory, railroad, shipbuilder workers are gone now, and died horrible asbestosis lung cancer deaths. Know your rights.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
We're all gonna die of brake asbestos poisoning then. We ought to sue all of the auto makers for these atrosities. I'm not meaning to being smart-alleck here, but we've got to draw the line somewhere.

In my experience, we've done the same kind of thing for asbestos flooring. It's not at all dangerous just sitting and covered up. It's when you get the fibers airborne and breathe the fibers into your lungs that it becomes a danger. We used to think it was not economical to have the professionals come in to remove it. That's also not true. It's just a process that requires the proper personal protection, isolation, ventilation, and disposal; if removal is absolutely necessary and the material can't be coated or covered up. That's as it applies to flooring. Should siding be any different? I've never heard of the material flaking off and getting airborne without some form of high-speed drilling or sawing.

I agree totally with Cosmic and repped him for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House