U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,044,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
1/5 of an acer? Knock them down an get on with the project.
I would still want to harvest the lumber if this is good, old-growth stuff. A big, mature, slow growing pine is a rare commodity these days.

However, if the wood isn't anything terribly special and you don't have a real purpose for it trying to sell the lumber may be a fools errand.

The company that I use to clear land for pipelines and such has a chipper that will lop the top off of a 36" tree and grind it into dust from the top down in a matter of minutes. Clearing all the land down to the dirt will probably run you a couple grand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:29 AM

3,020 posts, read 16,307,781 times
Default 1/5 of an acre can be gold...............

We don't see any pixs, have zero idea of the type trees, number, quality or value.

How can anybody be advising without the critical info? The right trees can furnish enough quality wood for a house, have a major budget impact. Especially the critical interior trim. Hey, might be hickory, some birch, puppies 4 -6 foot thick at the base and you all be telling the boy to ditch them. Horrible kitchen cabinet adviser Congress this is.

For golf keep the head down, arm locked totally straight, nice firm grip, swing thru the ball clean. Use the foot to get out of the rough and back in the fairway. Hand wedge is good when way down in the wood. Yell "Whack...................." when delivering the blow. Always try to position to putt up hill.

We need pixs of them there trees. Could be a forest in there.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,015,681 times
[quote=Cosmic;9554340] We need pixs of them there trees. /quote]

Something else to add: I live in the NE too and surrounded by huge, tall trees. Sometimes the trees look perfectly healthy on the outside but are actually rotted or eaten out inside. These trees pose a hazard as they could break or topple any time. So, many trees are cut down for safety issues. See if you can have your trees examined first and it will help you decide to cut right away or save/make timber.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,895,242 times
When we did this for about 1/3 acre, we learned that you need really huge huge trees and lots of them to interest a portable sawmill guy. We have some really big black walnuts some were 24" accross, but there were nto enoguh and they were not condiered really all that big. They only use a limited part of the tree.

We had the smaller trees rmeoved with a hydroaxe. It was cheap but messy. They threw the remains into a chipper and left us mulch and a bunch of hacked up stumps. The grader complained about the stumps but stil removed them for the original grading price. I told him upfront that we were cleaing wiht a hydroaxe.

The hydroaxe and chipping cost about 700 if I remeber correctly. It was thick forest but not many big trees. THe hydroaxe takes out all of the smaller trees (bout to about 18" I tihink). Then you cna pick and chose which big trees you can keep. Keep in mind that when you do grading work, most of the trees end up dying in two years anyway. Once you change the drainge patterns, the trees get pissed off and die.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,177,841 times
I agree with Cosmic, take a look at the trees there, needless to say you will want to save at least a few of them, but you may be able to sell them on the hoof to a logger.

1/5 of an acre - that seems like a really small lot to me.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,044,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I agree with Cosmic, take a look at the trees there, needless to say you will want to save at least a few of them, but you may be able to sell them on the hoof to a logger.

1/5 of an acre - that seems like a really small lot to me.
About 8700 square feet. Smallish, but reasonable methinks. There are some places in my neck of the woods where a 5,500 sq. ft. lot fetches over $500,000...

Also agree with Cosmic. If you don't know what you have you can't make the right decision and you must keep that left arm straight (or right arm if you are a southpaw).

Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM

186 posts, read 417,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
About 8700 square feet. Smallish, but reasonable methinks. There are some places in my neck of the woods where a 5,500 sq. ft. lot fetches over $500,000...

Also agree with Cosmic. If you don't know what you have you can't make the right decision and you must keep that left arm straight (or right arm if you are a southpaw).
It's a much bigger lot, that's just the area I would want to clear. I'm not sure the trees are that wide at the base. I'll find out though.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Default No Vision Thing ....................... For Shame

Well I can clearly see the problem. They have no vision thing. No ability to see what something can become. Standard old World thinking. Want experts to create their dreams. Only big time operations can create them, a zillion peeps must be involved in only very approved methods.

If you are a poor boy, want more than the average bear, you have to be able to create it by many means and approaches. Part of that is waste not, want not. You use every opportunity that comes your way. Everything is a gem hidden in the dirt when viewed in the proper manner and acted upon according.

If you have trees, you immediately think lumber, then what can I do with that lumber. Putting together a game plan to make it happen. Experts will never give you a house with a "Story", a house that has a "Past", one with "Romance" already built in. They always just give the same trendy shack with so much Oh-Hum.

If you have vision, can take your own trees and start your own house, you can not only save a lot of money but you can start the "Story" to the house that gives it appeal forever. Everything is always possible with the right peeps, approaches and methods.

You can not afford first class lumber, trim work in a new house if you are a working boy. Even a rich boy will drop a lot of change to get it. But it doesn't have to be so.

I had this problem of a shed all forelorn and the deep in the woods. I wanted to restore it to the former glory dazes but had just about zero budget. Also redesign it, make it bigger, use only the materials like the old dazes. Of course all the experts would scoff, totally impossible. You need big equipment, only some big operation will be able to do it. Experts by the score must be involved.

SIZE=2]

Shed reborn from the ashes. Torn down, dragged up the hill, expanded. Used local sawn oak to replace parts, retrim it out in new pants. Old oak a nail gun could not come close to driving a nail thru it. Shame I just had the vision thing and did not fully understand it could not be done at all.

Didn't even have all the parts, just using the vision thing as the guide, trusting to the force.

If you want the very nice features in any house, especially a new one, must figure out how to get the materials. Getting the wood off your own property is one prime way. I got local hickory from a dudes barn left there long ago. Paid nada. This stuff would run many dollars a foot if you can find it. Made all sorts of things for the shack. Like in the bath. Things you normally will never get in a cheap standard shack.

Bath access panel

Bath tile strip. Nothing was specified out of some fancy catalog. Always trust in the Force and the Vision Thing.

I needed lights for the living room. Used the scraps left over from the shed trim in oak, covered with hickory laminations. Built four wall sconces for squat. Recycled a ceiling fan light kit, bought the glass shades. You must have the vision thing in many cases. Everything does not have to cost a fortune. Each corner of the living room got one. Trust in the Force, everything can happen.

Sconce #2

Sconce #3

Sconce Lighted

Towel Bar. Always use every scrap.

Never throw away timber until you fully understand what you got. Never assume it can not be used in very creative ways, saving a fortune along the way and making many other projects possible. In addition it starts the chain to give that particular house a "Story and History" that no other fancy house ever will have. Throwing lots of money at the wall might buy another trash modern house, it will never buy one with a character all its own with a story that will only get better the more it is told.

Years down the road, it will be great grandpa cut this wood in his bare feet in two foot deep snow with a dull handwaw missing teeth just because the trees were there. He had vision and could see the future when the last tree was gone, now they only build houses out of recycled cardboard.

Always have the vision thing, trust the Force and go with the flow. The experts only order crap out of catalogs with dull numbers like SP#X-1004B.

They also tell you how many years they have in the business and you can not tell one ho-hum shack from the next. If everybody only knew the story behind how they got created and what really is in them.

Trees from a very small patch can be turned into the cream that will make the house special. You do need to first evaluate what is there, then develop a method and madness to make it happen. Is not that difficult. Plenty of folks around to help out in NH. Lots of dudes operating out of their basement with portable mills. They have seen it all before.

Basically one thing I particularly key on when going out to look at land. Does it have any standing timber and exactly what species and can I turn it into the wood for the next shack. You never know can get very lucky if somebody else does not think the same. A few thousand square feet of land can be enough. I could have built another shack with the trees I cut down in the last old place and that was only 4700 square foot lot. Shame was some super nice oak. Way too many trees close to the house.

Always think out of the box. Everything is possible if you don't know it can't be done. Always have the "Vision Thing" when you have little else. Those trees behind that shed I plan on turning into more lumber one of these sweet dazes. Ain't the best for sure but will beat anything I buy in the store by miles.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:46 PM

Default Here is how that shed looked to start........

Here is how that shed actually looked to start in that above rant. In order to change the World, you must be a dreamer and have the Vision.

Everybody said sure when I said I would move and rehab this puppy. Actually it all happened for about $600. Always think it can be done and it will happen.

Thought I got this one in above but the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray. Just like the real World. Nothing ever is impossible, you can make something out of nothing with the right approach.

Them two trees drive me nuts. They are going to get made into lumber one of these fine dazes. Drop crap on the shed and car, worry about them in a big wind storms. There is some board feet of at least prime shelving in those puppies.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House