Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:03 PM

733 posts, read 1,927,626 times

Advertisements

Today it seems more and more things need to be done to safe guard a persons home. You hear of burglaries, home invasions, prowlers, or even things like fire....

what do you do to make things safe at your house????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:20 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Smith & Wesson.....

Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Smith & Wesson.....
LMAO!!! yeah mine would be Sprinfield.....

I just thought it might be interesting to hear what people have done.

Like you I have guns. But I also have a fully fenced in yard (6ft fence) with a gate (7ft). I have an alarm system on my house, motion detector lights: outside in the front, back and sides, as well as two Rottweilers.

I *know* no one is going to chance coming into my house, and if they do they aren't going to make it very far....lol

I couldn't imagine doing any less, but I'm sure most people aren't as advid about this as I am...lol

Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
We live WAY out in the sticks. We have a security system for the house and equipment barn. Loaded guns at each door. (and I an NOT kidding)

Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We live WAY out in the sticks. We have a security system for the house and equipment barn. Loaded guns at each door. (and I an NOT kidding)
Oh, I can believe that, we are in a pretty rural area, and the further you go, the more I would be making sure things are safeguarded.....

Obviously your family, but as you mentioned, an equipment barn is something you don't want to leave without an alarm system!

We are near the water, and it's amazing how many people steal boats! right out of peoples drives! another reason for our gate. I make sure to park one of the vehicles in the way as well...the more deterrents the better

Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
LMAO!!! yeah mine would be Sprinfield.....

I just thought it might be interesting to hear what people have done.

Like you I have guns. But I also have a fully fenced in yard (6ft fence) with a gate (7ft). I have an alarm system on my house, motion detector lights: outside in the front, back and sides, as well as two Rottweilers.

I *know* no one is going to chance coming into my house, and if they do they aren't going to make it very far....lol

I couldn't imagine doing any less, but I'm sure most people aren't as advid about this as I am...lol
Sounds like Y'all have it covered pretty well. The deer keep setting off the motion detected lights though.... I have a couple of driveway motion detectors in the driveway and garage that work great...bats and birds even set them off. I have too much area to fence out here in the boonies plus a small lake on the back side....

Old 02-01-2009, 08:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Hardware by Ruger, and a Rhodesian Ridgeback with a bark and growl that would scare the hair off lion at 20 yards.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Sounds like Y'all have it covered pretty well. The deer keep setting off the motion detected lights though.... I have a couple of driveway motion detectors in the driveway and garage that work great...bats and birds even set them off. I have too much area to fence out here in the boonies plus a small lake on the back side....
yeah, our property is only an acre, so it wasn't too big a deal for us. Though I know what you mean, thankfully the fence keeps out the larger animals like the deer, but we get cats, and of course birds that set them off occasionally.

Don't really pay much attention until the dogs bark or growl, then I'll go check

before we had the fence, our yard was part forrest. The original owners never cleared the land, and we have a few guest...animals and people. Wasn't too happy about it, so got it all cleared and fenced, and haven't had issue since...

course the cop car in the driveway doesn't hurt either

Old 02-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Hardware by Ruger, and a Rhodesian Ridgeback with a bark and growl that would scare the hair off lion at 20 yards.
The rotties can sound pretty evil....lol I got a number of guns in the house, got a ruger LCP but that's for concealed carry. However it does have a lazer.... I could always just give 'em a good scare....

Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
We live in a small rural town. We lock the doors. When and if we remember. The guns are locked up in the gun safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House