Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM

77 posts, read 469,141 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with getting utility boxes relocated? I'm building a house and I have three boxes smack dab in the middle of my yard. I would like to get them possibly moved to the corner. Is this even possible? If so what would it cost me or should the builder help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:38 PM

45,316 posts, read 60,489,441 times
What does your deed say about utility easements? That's what it sounds like you have.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,725,980 times
Default We do not have a clue what is in them boxes......

Guess what we do not have a clue what them three boxes represent.

Are all your utilities underground. If so, lots of luck.

Lord knows what all the ramifications are!

Guess you could start by calling the utilities involved. More than likely the builder had lil to say about it. The mains go in before the houses are built in general as part of the site overall development. As a general rule the utilities are responsible for most of the stuff up to the boundary of your house where the connection takes place, whatever that means. The placement is for their glorification, not yours

Lots of peeps probably have the same problem. Move this thing 6 inches over that way or bring it back 13 feet to the North. Maybe not too late, maybe you wind up putting rocks around them like most other folks. We don't have a clue. Maybe they want them in the middle of the yard so some clown driving up on the sidewalk don't hit them. Must be a logic somewhere.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,749,549 times
I'm assuming underground utilities? Your best bet: Rock it, fake rocks, polyurethane rocks, fiberglass rocks, foam rocks, Imitation Rock, Artificial Rock, Manufactured Rock, Faux Rocks, Landscaping Rocks,* Mock Rock, Faux Rockcover it, Mock Rocks, vent pipe, sewers, back flow preventer, home landscap A lot cheaper than what the utilities would charge you to dig up the yard to move the boxes (if they would even do it). Plus they won't fix the landscaping, so your yard would be torn up, and you'd have a huge bill, but the boxes would be moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House