Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times

Advertisements

Our washing machine overflowed onto our kitchen hardwood floors last week. We immediately started to clean up, but the next day we noticed, when walking barefoot on the floor, that the boards are warped. The floor isn't smooth anymore. I would swear that it seems to be getting worse and more wide-spread each day. I've never had wood floors before. Does anyone have any idea if the floors need to be replaced, or if there could be water underneath the boards that is spreading? Thanks!

p.s. If they do need to be replaced, what do you think of wood in the kitchen vs laminate? pros? cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Default Yes, they can be replaced, board by hoard, and probably should be...

Depending on how much water gut dumped on the floor and how long it sat there it sounds like you need to get some work done.

Warped boards can be replaced, one by one, and it is almost always more cost effective and better looking to do that than just give uo on hardwood.

I would recommend NOT having a clothes washing machine in a room without a floor drain or a concrete slab.

Even if you did have the "damp proof" enginereed floors that are supposedly safe in laundry rooms you might still have damage when there is a serious overflow / leak. Heck, even with tile floors on cementious backer board a serious overflow from a washing machine can lead to damaged joists.

If you must have the clothes washing machine in the kitchen please get at least an overflow pan and drain propery installed.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Depending on how much water gut dumped on the floor and how long it sat there it sounds like you need to get some work done.

Warped boards can be replaced, one by one, and it is almost always more cost effective and better looking to do that than just give uo on hardwood.

I would recommend NOT having a clothes washing machine in a room without a floor drain or a concrete slab.

Even if you did have the "damp proof" enginereed floors that are supposedly safe in laundry rooms you might still have damage when there is a serious overflow / leak. Heck, even with tile floors on cementious backer board a serious overflow from a washing machine can lead to damaged joists.

If you must have the clothes washing machine in the kitchen please get at least an overflow pan and drain propery installed.
it's not IN the kitchen. The laundry room with vinyl floor is just off the kitchen. The laundry room is so small it might as well be in the kitchen I guess. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 AM

600 posts, read 3,439,665 times
Put a heavy duty fan on the wood floor to help it dry out before you do anything else. This will also move most of the moisture out of the subfloor as well. Run the fan for several days continuously. You'd be surprised how much the wood floor will re-settle back into place. If this doesn't solve the warping issue, then you can take steps to sand and finish the floor to bring back the look you want. You really shouldn't have to do any board replacement. If you do, it's no big deal. Call a flooring pro, and let them do it.

I think the tray under the washing machine is an excellent idea. It's a $35.00 insurance policy.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

I agree...
the whole thing would have been avoided if the water had somewhere else to go!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 PM

I realize that! That doesn't do me a lot of good now! I live in a 15 year old tract home. There isn't a drain in the laundry room. It wasn't high on our list of priorities when looking for a house.

ETA I just googled washer overflow pan and they are only like an inch deep. Wouldn't have helped. It would have overflowed the pan and we would have seen it as it flooded the kitchen just like we did.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Default The pan is more like a giant shallow funnel, the point is yiu connect it...

...to a floor drain or sump pit.

http://www.driptite.com/images/Dript...l_back_web.jpg

Once the pan is hooked into a drain any overflow is captured and drained away. It is like a very shallow funnel or "shower stall"...

Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM

129 posts, read 411,145 times
forget it...try your homeowners insurance...it shoulkd be covered. you cant unring a bell or unwarp a board

Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 AM

13,253 posts, read 22,650,364 times
Maybe it's just because I live in a state where policies get cancelled on a whim, but I wouldn't go the insurance route for something as minor as flooring in one room of the house. Put in too many claims or the wrong kind of claim, and you'll get dinged in the joint insurers' database and end up spending far more than that small of a claim on increased insurance costs over the years.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Yes, they would need to be replaced.
As a general rule, installers use 15# roofing felt under the hardwood floors when installing over subfloor. Roofing felt is predominantly "waterproof" except for the staple holes and seams. So, it can hold moisture/water for an extended period of time- which prevents it from being absorbed by the subflooring. In turn, it's absorbed by the hardwood (cupping) while also finding the less path of resistance (the spreading effect).

A good flooring contractor can determine the approximate amount of replacement. If it was site finished flooring getting the color and finish to match is almost impossible; but can be done with minimal notice. If it's factory finished- you'll have a similar dilemma; the replacement will be new and the existing will be somewhat scuffed and/or lighter because of light exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House