U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 AM

25 posts, read 65,150 times
Question Help! How to remove joint compound?

We hired a contractor to re-do our bathroom 4-5 years ago. At that time, we wanted to replace the old medicine cabinet with a mirror. He filled the void in the wall with joint compound, a lot of joint compound. We would like to put another medicine cabinet up. Regardless of whether we get one that is flush with the wall, or inset, we want to remove the joint compound. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:28 AM

20,701 posts, read 16,053,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geegirl View Post
We hired a contractor to re-do our bathroom 4-5 years ago. At that time, we wanted to replace the old medicine cabinet with a mirror. He filled the void in the wall with joint compound, a lot of joint compound. We would like to put another medicine cabinet up. Regardless of whether we get one that is flush with the wall, or inset, we want to remove the joint compound. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
There is some stuff call Goo-gone. Ooops. And I have use nail polish remover. Occupational hazard for me. I have fake nails and use joint compoud.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 AM

6,196 posts, read 3,208,236 times
Are you saying he packed the hole from an inset style cabinet, the whole area between the studs???

Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM

The void in the wall that is filled with joint compound is probably 12" by 24". It's really deep, several inches ( like a medicine cabinet ). I'm concerned that it will have to be chipped away. The other side of the wall is my kitchen, and there is a tile backsplash in my kitchen directly opposite the bathroom wall with the joint compound issue. I want make sure that I'm not doing something that might loosen the mortar/grout in the kitchen. I hope that makes it clearer?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Are you saying he packed the hole from an inset style cabinet, the whole area between the studs???

Yes! Can you believe it??!!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM

6,654 posts, read 8,530,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geegirl View Post
Yes! Can you believe it??!!
No.

It would take extraordinary stupidity and determination to fill a hole that size with joint compound. If it's true, chipping it out might be as easy as any other way.

Nope, can't believe it.

Get a drill and drill a couple inches into the area. I just can't believe anyone would fill a wall with joint compound.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:45 AM

3,471 posts, read 8,792,881 times
The 12x24 inch cavity should have been covered with a piece of sheetrock and taped with joint compound. Extra wood (2x4) blocking could be added in the 12x24 inch cavity so that your new mirror and/or medicine cabinet can be screwed into something solid.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:10 PM

10,427 posts, read 28,689,604 times
Now I think I have seen everything.

Can anyone venture to guess how many buckets of compound that idiot used to fill that hole? Not to mention how it cracks when it's too thick and one would have to go over and over and over and over it again to keep on filling the drying cracks. Then you gob a blob in there and it would keep falling down under it's own weight.

Humbbolt is right, a simple piece of drywall and tape the perimeter with compound. Geez.....

Now I heard it all.

Can you show us a pic of this?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM

I drilled a few holes and it seems to be drywall with an inch of joint compound over it. No tape and no extra wood blocking. It's coming out a lot easier than I expected though. The cavity is actually in good shape, I may just get a medicine cabinet that will fit into it. I really appreciate all of your help! Thank you!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Oh, just saw the other post. The finished job looked sloppy. Not smooth at all. This same contractor did both my bathroom and kitchen and there are a few things that I have to re-do/replace. This was just one of the small things.....
Attached Thumbnails
Help! How to remove joint compound?-canon-eos-digital-rebel-xt-picture  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House