U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 AM

11,493 posts, read 25,992,256 times
Most of the time, the problem is with the crew of the truck. Around here, a lot of folks have little fenced in areas by the street, and the cans go in that area. Zoning probably prevents that in a lot of areas.

For our garbage can out back, an old log end lives in the bottom of it to prevent the wind or animals from tipping it.

A small section of 3" PVC pipe recessed vertically into the ground, could have a 6" long peg that slips into it. The peg would be attached to side of the can, and then the only problem is tipping the tipping guys enough that they replace the can with the peg in the hole.

Another thought is to just tie the can handle to a rope or retractable dog leash about 30' long. That is long enough for the guys to empty the can, but short enough to keep it in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:14 PM

41,643 posts, read 44,854,191 times
You can make a treated wooden box that fits the bottom of the can about 2-3 foot high that is staked into the ground.It also keeps the automated pickup driver from just dumping your can most time also.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,159,751 times
You can build a simple frame or rack to hold 1 or 2 cans out of 2X4s, sort of like a firewood rack, if you are out in the country that will work, otherwise it might not be practical.

The "leash" idea is a good one as well, if you have a way to fasten the leash to something.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 AM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,147,425 times
You could possibly glue or rivet a plastic type base of sufficient weight around the bottom side edge of the can that is square (assuming it is round). That way it won't roll if it falls over. If your collection uses a robot arm, then it will lift the can over the height of the garbage truck, so if you tether it will have to allow this movement (it even may not be allowed if a mechanical arm is used).

Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM

8 posts, read 15,039 times
Cosmic....that was pretty funny. I guess stenciling the side might keep it from getting stolen. The brick wasn't something I'd thought about. Well, I bought 2 red bricks and I used the gorilla glue to glue them into the bottom of the can, so we'll see what happens tomorrow. I'll let you know if I have success. :-)

Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 AM

3,682 posts, read 7,461,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can make a treated wooden box that fits the bottom of the can about 2-3 foot high that is staked into the ground.It also keeps the automated pickup driver from just dumping your can most time also.

I have a metal garbage can rack in back. It does two things, it keeps the trashcan from rolling down the alley and it keeps stray dogs from ripping open the trashbags and scattering trash all over the alley.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,404 times
HIGH VALUE TRASH CAN RACK

Online searches for "trash can rack" using Google returned this forum, but no website for a 'trash can rack" suitable for an alley in my residential neighborhood. I called the city sanitation department and they referred me to Elliott's Hardware in Dallas, Texas, 214-634-9900, and in nearby cities, which reportedly carries more than twice the inventory items of retail big-box hardware stores, including many hard-to-find items.

Elliott's Hardware offers a 2-can "Trash Can Rack" for $130 and a 3-can "Trash Can Rack" for $150 made of highly durable, light-weight, welded, tubular steel, with no handles and no wheels. The fully assembled 2-can racks are about 20" wide x 40" long x 30" tall, and the fully assembled 3-can racks are about 20" wide x 60" long x 30" tall. No assembly is required, and there are no bolts or screws, just welded joints. The Trash Can Racks can be transported in an SUV or a pickup truck.

If desired, Elliott's Hardware will provide and deliver a complete package consisting of:
(1) two or three Rubbermaid "Roughneck" 32-gallon plastic trash cans with detachable lids ($15.48 each),
(2) two or three five-foot lengths of small-link "Jack Chain" ($2.70 each) to connect each of the trash can lids to the trash can rack, using holes that come predrilled in the handles of the Rubbermaid trash cans from the factory, and
(3) the Trash Can Rack itself.

Feature: The proprietary rack with no label or identifying information holds the trash cans above ground for easy access and keeps the cans from tipping over and rolling away.
Feature: The chains keep the lids from blowing away.
Feature: The Rubbermaid "Roughneck" lid snaps into a locking position to maintain a tight fit on the trash can, thus preventing animals from opening the trash can.
Feature: The Trash Can Rack with cans is relatively costly at the front-end installation, but it will last many years, probably a lifetime, so the effective annual cost is very small. The two-can rack used for 65 years results in an annual cost of $2 per year, or $1 per can per year, and the three-can rack is cheaper per can per year.

The Elliot's Hardware website is currently a work in progress with no listing for any Trash Can Rack, and there appears to be no other way to find this outstanding product online. I highly recommend this product, and as many as seven out of ten houses in my city use it.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,503,848 times
Go to the dump yourself. I live in a town where the recycling center is open on Friday from 1-4 pm and all day Sat. The town sells large bags for $2 each and we take one once weekly and throw them into the compactor. We can also haul in tree branches, stumps, and other foliage and dump them over in another area. We have a container just for metal. We also have a "bulky waste" container to throw in couches, furniture, and any othe non hazardous material waste. We just need to weigh in and weigh out to know how much to pay at 7 cents per pound. Lastly, we have a shed for reusable things like electronics, light fixtures and anything that may still be useful for our neighbors. No curb pick up works for us.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,089,077 times
Put 6" of Quickcrete in the bottom and let it dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House