U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Imagine you are currently house-hunting. Would you buy a home that has an in-ground swimming pool?
Definitely! It's much better if the pool is already there. 29 41.43%
Absolutely not! I either don't like them or don't want one for other reasons. 31 44.29%
It doesn't matter to me whether the house has a pool or not. 10 14.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:20 PM

192 posts, read 623,836 times

Advertisements

I'm truly puzzled about the preponderance of swimming pools in listings. I could understand it if the region I'm house-hunting in was located somewhere that doesn't experience much cold weather..... but, the Northeast????

Realtors always duck the question of whether adding an in-ground pool will increase the resale value of a home, and rightly so because it's such a subjective thing. So I thought I'd do an impromptu poll about it here.

The question applies to in-ground swimming pools only, because above-ground pools are easy to remove and don't increase property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 06:04 PM

2,813 posts, read 9,432,915 times
I didn't answer the poll because it would depend where in the country I lived. I had a 30ftX15ft inground pool in Las Vegas and it was heaven. I had a pool guy come every week ($80/month) and it always sparkled, had nice refreshing water, and it was surrounded in it's own fenced off area by a white iron 6ft tall vertical fence to keep kids out. But... that's Nevada.
In Missouri a couple of homes I looked at had inground pools, but it's so hard to winterize them and maintain them....and...when is it really warm enough to swim in? Plus, had I had a pool in Missouri, I'd probably have had to shell out thousands of dollars in repair costs after the January ice storm and the April freeze....too much trouble and cost outside the southwest.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 5,032,752 times
I know when we were looking about 10 years ago, I wouldn't even consider a house with a pool because of having small kids. But this time around I would of looked at them even though it would be a pain in the but to keep it up. Especially since you can only use them a few months out of the year.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,200,243 times
We are moving to a town in southern Indiana that I swear every house has a pool! Fortunately, we found one that doesn't!!! I don't want the hassle or stress of worrying about my kids (3 under 7), or other people's kids or the increased insurance premiums ... not to mention that in Indiana, you'll get what ... maybe 4 months of use out of it?

Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 PM

192 posts, read 623,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I didn't answer the poll because it would depend where in the country I lived.
Whoops, I guess I should have specified that the imaginary house-hunting would be taking place in the same state, at least, as where one now lives. So sorry about that.

Although, I really don't know how much "usage months per year" affects the buy-or-won't-buy decision when househunting. I do think that in the warm-weather states, even MORE homes would already have some sort of swimming pool simply because of the climate. It's similar to those who own boats; it's much easier to justify owning one in, say, Florida where it can be used year-round rather than in Massachusetts where the weather is only conducive to it for half the year (unless it's an iceboat! ). But boats are portable and fairly easily disposed of; in-ground swimming pools are neither of those things.

I think that if someone really wants or likes having a swimming pool, they may want it regardless of how many months per year it can be used; the theory being that four or five months of having the pool usable, is better than not owning one at all?

Old 04-20-2007, 10:14 PM

323 posts, read 1,418,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Whoops, I guess I should have specified that the imaginary house-hunting would be taking place in the same state, at least, as where one now lives. So sorry about that.
That would make a difference! In ground pool in Western Washington? Not unless it's an indoor pool In ground pool in Arizona? You bet!

Quote:
I think that if someone really wants or likes having a swimming pool, they may want it regardless of how many months per year it can be used; the theory being that four or five months of having the pool usable, is better than not owning one at all?
Maybe for some people. Then agian, in Western Washington I can't imagine many people using it for four months. July and August I can see, but the rest of the year it would be a waste.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 PM

2,833 posts, read 8,955,262 times
We have an inground pool and I, too, didn't vote because it depends on where you live. When I lived in the northeast I didn't want a pool and used the one at the gym.

In south Florida we enjoy our pool - I would like to heat it (yes, you heard right). We use to have a pool service; however after the fourth company, we gave up and started sservicing the pool ourselves. If I had known it would be this easy we would have done away with the pool companies years ago.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 PM

8,409 posts, read 14,337,714 times
I voted for the pool but it would make a difference where the home was located. If I had a pool, I would want to be able to use it MOST of the year.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:47 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,992,950 times
Our pool is about 45 years old now, we have lived here 13 years. I always look forward to opening it in the spring, and by fall I am glad to close it up. If we were looking to buy a house, I would prefer it have a hot tub rather than a pool, because we could use it year-round. I have to say, the day-to-day maintenance is easy, and we close and open it ourselves so our cost is pretty low except for the electricity for the pump. However, we DO need to put a couple thousand dollars into resurfacing and painting the concrete, and replacing the tiles that have popped loose. With a solar cover, we swim from early June to September. Its a great way to host a family or neighborhood get-together and get your excercise. Not to mention those late night private swims....

Old 04-21-2007, 06:53 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
No, I would not buy a house that has a pool but being in MN they have such limited use that they are considered a negative when house hunting. There is one house in our town that has a pool that I would buy just because I love the house so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House