U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 81,516 times

Advertisements

Has anybody tried un-installing a sargent door knob (probably 15 years old). I can't get the model number. I have been able to unscrew the plates but the central core is still fastened to the handles on both sides. I have tried many different thing and none seem to work. Any ideas?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM

7,774 posts, read 11,048,783 times
I am not familiar with the brand. But I have recently removed several door knobs and the first step is to find the small slot/hole called the Detent. Insert a thin screwdriver into it and push while using your other hand to pull the door knob. It should detach at that point. Then you unscrew any screws. Might take a couple of attempts.

Read this first:

Removing Interior Doorknobs

Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,859,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsharman View Post
Has anybody tried un-installing a sargent door knob (probably 15 years old). I can't get the model number. I have been able to unscrew the plates but the central core is still fastened to the handles on both sides. I have tried many different thing and none seem to work. Any ideas?
Thanks
Got any pictures?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,741,395 times
Default Pipe wrench...............

Some of those plates do not pop off, some are threaded on.

Even if they pop off, lots of times are stuck in the paint / finish of the door like glue.

The solution when you don't know what to do is get a pipe wrench or something like it that with teeth that can grip into it. Try turning it, to the left or counterclockwise, they should have standard type threads.

Whatever the cause, it will either turn off as in threaded or if pop off, come off as you turn. The amount of force needed can surprise you.

Need to use care, tricky to grab the plate with the wrench without marking door. Open door so you can stand by edge, turn a wee bit at first with force to break it lose and give an indication of threaded or pop off.

Tougher to describe than do.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Some of those plates do not pop off, some are threaded on.

Even if they pop off, lots of times are stuck in the paint / finish of the door like glue.

The solution when you don't know what to do is get a pipe wrench or something like it that with teeth that can grip into it. Try turning it, to the left or counterclockwise, they should have standard type threads.

Whatever the cause, it will either turn off as in threaded or if pop off, come off as you turn. The amount of force needed can surprise you.

Need to use care, tricky to grab the plate with the wrench without marking door. Open door so you can stand by edge, turn a wee bit at first with force to break it lose and give an indication of threaded or pop off.

Tougher to describe than do.

I just took off a Sargent Door Knob after 2 hours of wrangling with it. At one point I consider sawing it off until I realize it would take days. Anyways, to restate points already made, it was an older lock probably installed 1980s. One side is key entry and the other a push button lock.

The first step was to pry off the face plate on the same side as the push button lock. This revealed 2 phillips screws which I loosed. The latch part actually fell off at this point, but I couldn't get the door knobs off. With newer locks often you just pull the 2 knobs apart, but I couldn't. The key was to identify a small hole on the same side as the push button lock (on the cylindrical part of the knob leading up to the actual door knob). I initially pushed in with a paperclip, but it didn't work, because you need a larger surface area. I finally just eyebrow tweezers and pushed the the pin in and that side of the knob slips off.

Basically the way the locking works is that the knob has a cut out small hole. On the cylinder side, there is a pin that is popped up all the time, but can be pushed in. when the knob slides on the cylinder, it will depress the pin and then the pin popped up through the hole, stabilizing the 2 parts together, until you press the pin part back again and slide it out of the cut out hole on the knob side.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-05-2011 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: Remove new member link

Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 PM

43,453 posts, read 47,411,979 times
I thni that is the lock I once removed to repalce on friends house. i had no problem finding the dent to remove the knobs but center bolt unit I never figured out. I just used a saw-zaw to cut the unit part in minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House