Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times

Advertisements

At least not the $129 one they sell at Lowes/etc. Course you could and probably not have these problems, but FYI (and why risk it)......

First I had to return one because these cheap plastic "screws" (glorified push pins) they inexplicably use for just a few holes broke off. No, I wasn't forcing anything.

Then, admittedly, I made the mistake of thinking "it's just one of those things, seems like a nice enough grill at a good price, just give me another one....." d'oh

No, the plastic things didn't break again. But I built it, hooked it up to the tank....and it doesn't work. No gas coming out. Double-checked valves, connections, everything. Even had a neighbor who had the same grill look at it and he didn't see why either. And yes it's a full (new) tank. Course not helping probably is that some rocket scientist decided to put a REALLY short hose that goes from the grill to the tank (which sits besides the grill vs under it, so needing MORE line not less) But it's not like the line is pinched or anything.

I could go on about the instructions not written very well in places and a few other things that make you go "why the hell didn't they do this it way" but you get the gist. Anyway, FWIW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I have used those cheap grills with no problems. You got a bad one its seems and Lowes will take them back. To get a better frill expect to pay about $300.00 but even then it will wearout. The top grills are pretty expensive.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Thx and me too. But I don't want frills - if I did I would have bought a more expensive one. I just want one that works.

Neighbor is coming back over and we'll triple-check and take apart what we can (without possibly violating the warranty of course) - if that doesn't turn up something, it's another trip to Lowes - and no exchange this time, I'll want my money back.

My needs are simple, I just want to do a little grilling, is that asking so much?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM

320 posts, read 1,069,980 times
I've had one for over 4 years now, and no issues. But, I did talk the store into selling me the floor model, so I had no issues with putting it together.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Just a thought, but I wanted to be certain that you are aware of the safety features of modern propane tanks.

I apologize if this is patronizing, but I see a lot of people confounded by this. If you open the main valve on the propane tank to an open valve at the grill, the propane tank will shut itself off.

Be certain that the flame-control valves are completely closed before you open the propane tank.

Otherwise... Dunno...

Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Just a thought, but I wanted to be certain that you are aware of the safety features of modern propane tanks.

I apologize if this is patronizing, but I see a lot of people confounded by this. If you open the main valve on the propane tank to an open valve at the grill, the propane tank will shut itself off.

Be certain that the flame-control valves are completely closed before you open the propane tank.

Otherwise... Dunno...
That's exactly what I was going to say. Sometimes you may even have to disconnect, and reconnect the bottle.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,800 times
Quote:

Otherwise... Dunno...

Agreed, I've done this with mine a few times as well to see how it works. You can sometimes hear the valve click on the regulator right off the tank when this happens. When the safety valve closes, it will completely cut off the gas or restrict it to a tiny trickle that isn't enough to harm anything.

I've had my Charbroil for a few months now, and (knock-on-wood) it's been doing great for me. I've got a medium sized infrared model and I love it - the infrared grates are hard to clean, but most stuff burns away. I made some ribs yesterday that were heavenly with it.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
We have had a charboil grill now for 5 years and we LOVE it! Yes we have replaced the grates once, but we have never had any issues with it. I love charcoal grills, gas is just not the same.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,437 times
My husband bought one, and it didn't work after we got it home.... went back to the Weber.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:

Otherwise... Dunno...
yknow I am not sure how this was set but we took apart the valve assemblies, etc, checked the hose, re-connected, and it worked. Maybe a valve was open, maybe it was just one of those things where something wasn't quite lined up or whatever, I just know it works now.

So they're OK I guess. We'll see. Made a helluva burger on first try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House