Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 06:59 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,708,012 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy an old 1908 single family house to use as a rental. It's in very good condition, and the price is right, but one thing scares the heck outta me.

The crawl space is very narrow. There is about 12" of space between the dirt and the bottom of the floor joists. It's literally impossible for a normal sized human being to get under there.

To do any plumbing/wiring repair would require ripping up the sub floor to get access, and the house being over 100 years old I'm concerned about the condition of everything down there, even though there is no evidence of problems currently.

Anyone out there been through this? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 07:56 AM

10,049 posts, read 6,329,778 times
That would definitely be a concern for me. My house was built in 1927, and has about a 24" crawlspace, which has been totally conditioned (dehumidifier, liner, french drains, sump pumps, etc.). The plumbers love it! For this area, it's actually kind of high. However, none of the wiring is in there - it all runs in the attic, and there is relatively little plumbing because this is a small house. I often look at old houses (older than mine) in the town close to mine because I'm an old house junkie, but a lot of them have crawl spaces like the one you're describing, or none at all. Is there a way you could consider moving the pipes and wiring to an upper floor one time at a cost that would be commensurate with a rental?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,225,220 times
Find out the cost of lowering the dirt in the crawl space, then reduce your offer on the house by that amount.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:28 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,205,259 times
Since you can't get under it, you can't really tell if there are problems or not. And if there are, then it may be very difficult (and pricy) to resolve them.
All things being equal, I would move on and find a house that will be easier to work on should the need arise.
Since its so low, termite inspections are very limited. Unless it was a steal, I would pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House