Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,513,345 times

Advertisements

It apears that under our kitchen sink, where all of the pipes converge from the drain from our sink, garbage disposal and diswasher, there is a standing pipe vent (again under the sink). I am assuming that they vented this there, because above the sink is a pass-through (no wall, which could house the normal standing pipe that would normally vent at the roof). The problem is that recently (we've owned the home for three years) we are now getting a garbage smell from under the sink. Any suggestions? We've tried pouring bleach down the drain, but the smell returns.

Thanks for any help....

Last edited by 2goldens; 08-01-2009 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Moved frm Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,277,786 times
Baking soda then lemon?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,989,954 times
That's a tough one, if the above suggestion doesn't work (baking soda then lemon) you might try flushing it all out real good with one of those "Liquid Plumber" foam action cleaners?? I know that's for clogs but there may be something trapped in there that's too small to clog but big enough to cause a smell. If all that doesn't work, you may have to call a plumber.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
Lightbulb .

The venting would normally take place in the nearest wall to the sink, however that are shouldn’t be a problem. What you need to look at is if there’s “water” in the drain trap under the sink. The drain of the disposal should go into a drain trap that would contain a level of water to prevent sewer odors from escaping.

If the odor is directly related to the disposal there are several things to try. Put ice cubes into the drain with pieces of cut lemon. Turn the disposal one for short periods of time of several seconds. This will help get food particles out of any area that might have been trapped and the lemon will provide a better smell. I think the lemon juice will also kill off some bacteria that may cause the odor.

You can also try putting some baking soda into the disposal and then add some vinegar to cause a reaction that helps clean the disposal.

There are commercial disposal cleaners that you can buy however I’ve never had much luck with them. A good cleaner would have enzymes that attack and clean the pipes, so if you apply it to the disposal allow as much time as possible for the enzymes to do their job before running water into the sink again. Apply this at a time to allow overnight action to take place.

Last,,,, did you notice any water under the sink? If there were a leak you would notice that but didn’t mention that as part of the problem. You DON’T want any moister to build up under the sink area because of mold that could occur.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,289,425 times
Is this an open vent under the sink or does it vent outside? if it's open under the sink I would route it outside.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:51 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,680,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Is this an open vent under the sink or does it vent outside? if it's open under the sink I would route it outside.
yes i agree if it's a vent it should be rerouted outside. or it will be a constant maintenance problem.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Can a mod move this to the House forum? I think it is a better place for good answers. Not to belittle the excellent responses given here.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,488 posts, read 7,153,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
It apears that under our kitchen sink, where all of the pipes converge from the drain from our sink, garbage disposal and diswasher, there is a standing pipe vent (again under the sink). I am assuming that they vented this there, because above the sink is a pass-through (no wall, which could house the normal standing pipe that would normally vent at the roof). The problem is that recently (we've owned the home for three years) we are now getting a garbage smell from under the sink. Any suggestions? We've tried pouring bleach down the drain, but the smell returns.

Thanks for any help....
Should be a rather simple fix I would suspect. I can't believe by code that the vent pipe you speak of is for that purpose. It sounds like a older pre-existing drain for a washer?
Have you put your face / nose at that pipe and over your drain? Providing all your plumbing is in tact and there are absolutely no leaks anywhere your odor is either at that (vent pipe) or at your drain. Again providing no leaks you are talking a sealed environment. I would start by capping that (Vent pipe) it serves no purpose. That would cost you nothing basically, you could put a plastic bag and a wire wrap or tie around that to hold and seal off that opening. that would only leave your drain as a source.
This is all providing that a small field mouse or rat has not climbed in your wall and died.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,867,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
This is all providing that a small field mouse or rat has not climbed in your wall and died.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I had that happen when I lived in a rural area and it was one nasty smell. I was mortified!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To the OP:
Here is a good suggestion from a professional:

Quote:
The most basic solution is the one most neglected by many people. The odor problem caused by garbage disposal units, stems from food residue that hasn't been washed down properly. To solve this dilemma, always keep the water running, so the tiny bits of garbage will still go down properly. Even after the disposal has finished it's job and turned off, allow the water to run for at least 30 seconds more. Continue doing this, and you'll soon realize the smell is nothing but a thing of the past. Here's another running water tactic you can try: every month, fill the sink's disposer with hot water, along with 1/8 cup of grease-cutting dishwashing liquid. When the sink is full, release the stopper, and turn the disposal on while allowing the hot water to continue running. This method will clean away the grime and grease, as well as clean the pipes out.
from this site:
How to Get Rid of Garbage Disposal Smell - HowToGetRidofStuff.com

Glad I read this. I'm going to take advantage of the advice BEFORE any smell may occur.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
I may be wrong but I don’t believe I’d cap any vent pipe! There is a reason for a vent and it shouldn’t be venting under the sink. I’ve never seen a vent pipe open under a sink. If there is a pass-though near the sink, then the vent pipe would normally be running horizontal inside the wall where it then could be turned and go up and outside.

As crazy as it sounds the look on the outside of the house in the area of the pass-through and see if the vent appears outside on the wall or best at the roofline of the house. I can’t imagine venting a sewer line to the outside near a pass-through but who knows what the builder was thinking of.

If your comment about a “standing pipe vent (under the sink) is troubling. Is it possible that this is an “access” for clean out instead of a “vent”? All sinks should have a “cleanout access” in case the drain line becomes plugged or stopped up. The “cleanout access” should have a threaded fitting on it to prevent sewer fumes from venting or coming out under the sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House