Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

I have a wood veneer round table with a 1/8th inch wide crevice around the table that is about 1/4 inch deep.
The wood is dark and the bottom of the crevice is a black .

It is always catching crumbs and is hard to clean so I want to fill in the
crevice with something black.

Should I use grout , caulking or some type of wood filler???

This is not an expensive piece of furniture I am worried about
altering. Just want the crack filled up .

Black seems easier than trying to match the wood color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Sanding dust.............

The best wood filler is to use sanding dust like off a power sander and caught in its bag. Is what I use. I have different storage cans by color. I empty the bag after each sanding on different color / types / species of wood.

This sanding dust can be mixed with white glue and used to fill any wood, the result is real wood that acts and expands at about the same rate, characteristics. By picking the right dust, I can get about any color to match. Sometimes it requires mixing of dust but then you can do a very small test mix to see what the final color will be when dry. Typically it dries to a different color than when wet, true of most fillers. It sands and looks like real wood. Done right you may not have to sand the entire table, fill, wipe with a wet paper towel. Attempt to get a smooth, slightly reset fill.

Barring being able to get sanding dust, you can use them crap commercial wood filters. Most are a type of plastic. Many do not have the same characteristics as real wood, may shrink, crack or whatever.

Do not use grouts or non-wood type fillers on real wood. They will tend to crack and chip out over time. Sure will show a crack at the joint line.

Anybody that does wood work should have plenty of sanding dust. Just ask around who has a power sander with a dust bag.

In a pinch the dust can be stained prior to adding the white glue. Add the stain, mix, add the glue.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The only thin is going to require painting afterwadrs. if so you can clean out the groove and buy a filler that is made for wood that is very simialr to body filler uised with vehcile body wook. The groove down to wood then it easy has sanding after over filling. thei is used to fill things like hinge recesses in door frame and after painting you never know it was there.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
It really depends on how much you care what it looks like after you patch it.
If your only concern is filling the gap so crumbs don't fall in, use a furniture crayon that matches the color (as close as you can get). It will fill the crack, but you will likely be able to see it, and it may stand out. Because it is soft wax like material, it will not crack and fall out for a very long time.

Since you said it was veneer, you don't want to sand the surface very much, or you will likely sand thru the veneer, creating a bigger problem.

You can also just fill the crack with clear epoxy or instant glue. The instant glue has a small tip so you can slowly fill the crack on not have it flow onto the top surface.

Whatever repair you choose, you will probably still see the crack after its filled, unless you use the same type of wood (like Cos said)sawdust/glue combo. Even with that, it still may show because of the grain pattern.

Just read your post again....if this is the gap where the main part of the top meets the edge of the table and runs the entire circumference, then you may want to just fill it with black silicone caulking.

Last edited by Barking Spider; 08-03-2009 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: added last part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House