Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,563,652 times

Advertisements

We're going to paint a rental house within the next 2 weeks.

I've priced out good quality (not cheap crap, but not the ultra-high end stuff) satin latex exterior paints.

I've narrowed it down to 3 paints, all of them being just about the same price.

Behr Ultra

Dutch Boy Dura-Weather

Valspar Ultra Premium

Which of these three would you recommend, and why?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 PM

44,879 posts, read 59,858,372 times
I like Behr followed by Dutch Boy. Never used Valspar.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 AM

3,037 posts, read 8,317,536 times
I use Behr exclusively! It applies nicely, lasts a long time in this Texas heat and sun, is readily available at any Home Depot and they can match colors as well as anyone. I've also had extra sitting for a couple of years been able to stir it up and use it for touch-up almost like it was bought yesterday. The secret to that is put a sheet of cellophane wrap over the top before you put the lid back on. If you are doing large painting jobs with 5 gallon buckets the Behr is less expensive. I've even returned partially used cans that, for whatever reason, did not color match exactly and Home Depot never argued once.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
Graham.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 PM

563 posts, read 1,023,254 times
VALSPAR. Have used it outside and inside. Very happy with the quality and application. By the way, I like that you are using Satin. Where we live now people use Flat exterior. I just cannot imagine using a flat paint outside, especially. We always use Satin. Happy painting!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,563,652 times
Thanks for the advice everyone!

We've got a good share of the "tinted" primer on today. I'm not terribly fond of the color, but I don't have to live in the house.

We'll probably start painting on Saturday, assuming the weather holds.

I'm leaning toward the Valspar paint from Lowes. It's a touch cheaper than the others (about $5.00 for a 5 gallon bucket) and I've read a lot of good reviews on it.

On the other hand, I do think they're all pretty good paints.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,012,643 times
Valspar

Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
Behr is better rated, but they are pretty much the same. They will not last as long as the better brands and will require more coats. I am not sure how much you save in the long run, but even the Home improvement store brands will last for several years.

If you want really good paint that will alst a long time and provide better coverage, you have to go with one of the mosre expensive brands. However if you used cheap primer, it may confer little benefit to put expensive paint over it.

I have been amazed at how long a paint job can last, even withthe cheap paints like Valspar and Behr when the preparation is done properly. We had a Valspar paint job last almost 7 years. A better brand job went 15 years and is still holding up well. I am not sure how long they are supposed to last, but I think that may exceed what they advertise.

No matter waht you use, if you do good prep work, you will ahve a nice looking rresult that should last a long time. Modern paints are remakable. Iwonder if they have gotten to the point where they are as durable as the old lead based paints. I doubt it, but they might have. That would be great.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM

44,879 posts, read 59,858,372 times
Latex paints have really improved over the 10 or 15 years. I live near the water in a house that's mostly wood on the second floor so while not subjected to salt spray directly there is salt impact. I've used Behr the last two times I've painted. The paint will last 10 or 12 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House