Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,022,572 times

Advertisements

Hello...

Going to install hurrricane impact windows and am going with horizontal roller type windows that slide open horizontally. Someone told me that these type of windows are easily pried open from the track...similar to a sliding glass patio door. Is this true or not ? If this is the case, I may go with single hung windows.

Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 12:57 AM

589 posts, read 7,639,798 times
Default Horizontal roller type?

Alright, I'm the first to admit that the construction component terminology used in Florida is going to be somewhat different than it is here on the west coast of Canada. So if we end up discussing two entirely different Batmobiles...feel free to laugh at me.

I'm hoping you are referring to the window style I know as "horizontal sliders" or XO sliders (X depicting a moveable vent window and O depicting a fixed O-lite). Modern day extrusion designs (c.1980 and newer) are virtually impossible to "pop off" their track when in the closed or partially open position due to lock tabs (sometimes known as "set dogs"). These tabs are placed in the top guide track of the window extrusion directly above where the vent window sits while in the open/part open position and effectively lock it into the track. The slider simply cannot be removed from the track without breaking it and, in the process, making enough noise to wake the dead. We install a great many of these windows in residences as upgrades and no customer has ever mentioned the design as a security issue on our 2 year follow-ups. So to answer your question: No, what you were told is not true.

To carry this a bit further though, there ARE a couple of disadvantages to vertical sliders and single/double hung units. The main one revolves around their thermal efficiency, while it is good it isn't as good as a fixed window (O-lite). Something to consider when taking A/C costs into consideration. Of course the fixed unit doesn't allow you the option of opening the window. Probably the best type to consider is an awning or casement window which, by virtue of its design, allows you to open it for ventilation yet provides a total perimeter thermal seal when closed. There is less chance of rain penetration with an awning/casement unit as well.

The cost of both awnings and casements is a few dollars more than that of vertical sliders and the price of the screens, which require wickets, will add a couple of dollars more to that. However you will probably find that the savings on your heating & A/C tab will more than make up for it in short order.

(Not that heating is going to be a big issue in Florida like it is here in BC)

Ron

Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,022,572 times
Thank you very much Ron for that excellent answer. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House