U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 PM

554 posts, read 855,412 times
Default What to do instead of shutters on exterior?

My husband and I will soon be signing to custom build a 2000 sq ft ranch. We plan on doing mostly all brick (in a gray tone) with some vinyl cedar shakes at the gables for interest.

The thing is I REALLY hate vinyl shutters. Is there any other alternative--or should I just do nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:24 PM

855 posts, read 1,492,638 times
Do you hate shutters period, or just vinyl shutters? If it's just vinyl, you could go with real wood.

Beyond that, you could emphasize the trim around the window or, since you're using brick, use a different shade of brick around the window to frame or accent it. I've seen brick houses built with a staggered pattern that switches to a continuous pattern around the window and looks nice. Some even have a contrasting keystone on top.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 PM

3,689 posts, read 6,754,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
My husband and I will soon be signing to custom build a 2000 sq ft ranch. We plan on doing mostly all brick (in a gray tone) with some vinyl cedar shakes at the gables for interest.

The thing is I REALLY hate vinyl shutters. Is there any other alternative--or should I just do nothing?
you could use wood shutters. if you have any arched windows make sure that the builder knows to build the shutters with the same radius as the arch window. That drives me NUTS as a designer when I see that. The other thing you can do is emphasis the row lock and soldier course over the header and sill by pulling the brick out a little bit so it is not as flush as the surrounding brick. For the gable ends, you could always try a herring bone pattern instead of the shake, although I love shake shingle.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:30 AM

14,097 posts, read 13,910,183 times
You could do metal window awnings. They provide shade for the windows to help lower utility bills. Some models can be retracted for storm protection for your windows. Metal awnings cost more than fabric awnings but they last longer.
Metal Awnings - Window, Door & Patio Awnings

Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 AM

41,636 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Mteal awnings were popular in teh 50's and frankly i hated the look. Only a nice fabiric awning on a coastal cottage looks really good with them IMO;no brick on these tho.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 AM

14,097 posts, read 13,910,183 times
There's a particular model I liked and would like for my home. It has metal louvers and is mounted on a flat panel that can be lowered flush with the window. When lifted up from window, you can see through the louver slats. When lowered flush with window, you can't see outside but the window is protected from storm damage. That's handy here in hurricane country. Personally, I prefer real working shutters that you can open and close when needed.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 AM

16,545 posts, read 19,145,661 times
Some styles do not lend themselves to shutters anyway. If you're ranch is contemporary, they might not be appropriate. My pet peeve is incorrectly sized shutters-like skinny shutters next to a picture window. We sent to a company in CT to have our wood shutters made, so they would be correctly sized for the windows. This makes a huge difference in how the shutters look.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM

554 posts, read 855,412 times
I like the idea of decorative brick or stone--does anyone know where I could find inspiration for these ideas?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM

855 posts, read 1,492,638 times
This brick manufacturer has a full gallery of examples, although the majority are fairly grandiose.

Belden Brick - Photo Gallery - RESIDENTIAL HOMES - www.beldenrick.com - Your Brick, Paver and Special Shapes Resource

This is a link to a local stone supplier. If you mouse over the words "Brick, Natural Stone, Manufactured Stone", a menu drops down with links to manufacturers. Some of them have galleries as well. These are just examples but you may find something similar in your area.

masonry.jpg

You could also do a Google image search for say, "brick window trim".

Talk to your contractor and/or architect and they could probably float some options by you as well.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:21 AM

8,378 posts, read 12,023,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My pet peeve is incorrectly sized shutters-like skinny shutters next to a picture window.
Mine is shutters hung upside down, which about 90% of modern "shutters" are. (Shutters were designed to shed rain away from the house when closed, which determines the orientation of the louvers.)

Another suggestion is to consider panel shutters instead of louvered ones (if a more historic look is appropriate to the style of your house).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House