Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,211,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Sure a handy man can do it, but legally it requires a licensed, insured, plumber and licensed electrician to complete the wiring; and all of the associated costs that come w/ hiring a licensed professional.

I'm not trying to turn this into a handyman vs. professional argument; simply stating the facts.

Depending on the state, the handyman could be given a cease-and-desist order and possibly fined for installing the disposal.

Professionals have to charge enough to play by the rules.
Yes, they do!!!! In Michigan a person can(and has)go to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,070,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Sure a handy man can do it, but legally it requires a licensed, insured, plumber and licensed electrician to complete the wiring; and all of the associated costs that come w/ hiring a licensed professional.

I'm not trying to turn this into a handyman vs. professional argument; simply stating the facts.

Depending on the state, the handyman could be given a cease-and-desist order and possibly fined for installing the disposal.

Professionals have to charge enough to play by the rules.
If any state has such an idiot rule the people should repeal it or be prepared to pay idiot prices. Do you need a building permit and a licensed electrician to plug in a toaster?

Sheesh. I actually used a licensed plumber when I redid my sink. But he did a much more complex install and got $200.

In Nevada and most of the west a handyman is well qualified to install a garbage disposal and hook up the electric.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,070,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, they do!!!! In Michigan a person can(and has)go to jail.

What do you do with the homeowner who DIYs? Send him up for six months?

That must be why much of MI is moving to NV. Had enough of that silliness.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
What do you do with the homeowner who DIYs? Send him up for six months?

That must be why much of MI is moving to NV. Had enough of that silliness.
Apples and oranges. The home owner always has the right. However, it has to code. This is one example of DIY. By law, his 400 foot 5" bedrock intake water well had to be abandoned. He did some checking and learned it should be done with cement. I would have charged him $1,000/$1,2000.

He had a cement truck back over the hole and fill it. Then he went to the county to document. 1. It has to be PUMPED in never pored. 2. The hole has to have the drop pipe removed and reamed out to the bottom. 3. The NEAT cement is not the same thing. NEAT cement has no gravel in it.

So, we drilled everything out. $20,000 bill. The county still checks the site from time to time.

The cement trucking company also got a fine. They did it without a licence.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,217,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
If any state has such an idiot rule the people should repeal it or be prepared to pay idiot prices. Do you need a building permit and a licensed electrician to plug in a toaster?

speaking of idiots. . . .

in what way can those two things be considered the same at all?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 PM

235 posts, read 1,574,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
I just got a quote of $723, which I think is outrageous. $400 of it was just to install the garbage disposal.

I know plumbing can be expensive, but for a job that should take less than an hour and I have all the parts for is just ridiculous!
Less than an hour, I hear that all the time!!!

First: From the other post:
Quote:
If I had more time without having to watch two kids under 2yrs, I would learn and figure out how to do it myself. But it's been six months without a kitchen while getting it remodeled and I just want everything done.
What happened to the original plumber or was there never one involved in the remodel? Permit??

Second:
Quote:
I would love to do it myself, but I don't know how to do the piping part of it; to correctly lay it out to ensure everything flows correctly. Not too mention it would take me probably all day with multiple trips to Home Depot.
So, what do you think your time is worth?? All Day??Gas??Insurance?? (Workers Comp, Liability,Vehicle)

As far as the Handyman, well that's a chance you risk.
FYI
"
Small to medium-size jobs around the home can be perfect for a handyman who has general all around skills or a contractor willing to take small projects. He´ll fix a screen door, clean gutters, or perform a variety of tasks that you don´t have time for or interest in doing.
However, there are two considerations in hiring a handyman. The first issue is safety. Hire people with solid recommendations and references, who carry insurance, and have a "business presence." Hire someone in whom you have a high level of confidence regarding his professionalism, integrity, and trustworthiness. Even with a handyman, you want to pay for and receive quality workmanship and an individual who will stand behind his work.
A second aspect is knowing what a handyman is legally able to do in your state. Each state has regulations governing the type and extent of work that handymen are allowed to do. Handymen, by definition, are not necessarily licensed contractors, so they may not be regulated by state agencies. The size of project relative to the size or valuation of the home, or the type of work may preclude working with an unlicensed handyman instead of a licensed contractor for specific projects. Generally, if a permit is required for work, then it´s likely that the work must be performed by a licensed contractor. Some work, like electrical or plumbing, is best left to licensed contractors.
Find out what the requirements are for your state. Not only may there be a fine for unlicensed contractors doing unauthorized work, but you, as the home owner, may be subject to a fine as well."

Just so you know:

I don't agree with the $$$ amount for the install. Maybe there is more to it than one thinks such as the waste height off the cabinet base and I don't agree with the millionaire remark. I take a risk and play in people's s*** everyday which as far as I'm concerned is worth more $$$$ than anything. If I had a million, trust me I would not be working.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 AM

71 posts, read 429,102 times
I did this job myself. It's not very hard. Btw, even at 1,000 a job (and pure profit at that) he'd have to do 1,000 jobs to "become a millionaire" and even then he'd have to never spend money and never eat.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 PM

710 posts, read 3,381,168 times
Forgive me, for I read the first page and the last. Tried in the middle but was a little off topic about concrete, wells, DIY, etc. etc.

Another vote for do it yourself. I just finished doing mine. Installed new sink, faucets, strainers (x2) garbage disposal, air gap for dishwasher, reverse osmosis, and plumbed the whole mess. It's not too hard.

You only need plumber's putty, two sink drains, a garbage disposal 'quick attach' and the pipe, which is sold in a kit at lowes/HD as a 'P trap'. I couldn't see paying someone more than 100 bucks for something that took me an afternoon, never having done it before. I could do it in 30 mins now.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
Forgive me, for I read the first page and the last. Tried in the middle but was a little off topic about concrete, wells, DIY, etc. etc.

Another vote for do it yourself. I just finished doing mine. Installed new sink, faucets, strainers (x2) garbage disposal, air gap for dishwasher, reverse osmosis, and plumbed the whole mess. It's not too hard.

You only need plumber's putty, two sink drains, a garbage disposal 'quick attach' and the pipe, which is sold in a kit at lowes/HD as a 'P trap'. I couldn't see paying someone more than 100 bucks for something that took me an afternoon, never having done it before. I could do it in 30 mins now.
The thread was also about how contractors charge. If going a little off topic is a problem to you, just use one of two options. Do not read it, or report it.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,695,551 times
Quote:
What should it cost to have a garbage disposal and sink drain with piping under the sink installed?

I just got a quote of $723, which I think is outrageous. $400 of it was just to install the garbage disposal.

I know plumbing can be expensive, but for a job that should take less than an hour and I have all the parts for is just ridiculous!

Saw your post and had to comment.

I'm a lady and single....and those things shouldn't matter.

All my life I've been taught to 'fear' mechanics, electrical, plumbing, tools, etc. And thus I have been. When I hear a noise in the car I take it to a mechanic. When something breaks around the house, I call a repair man. When a pipe burst, a plumber. When I need something wired up..-you get the point.

Well, no more.

I now change my own brakes.
I just re-piped my own house, yes from the county water main. Dug up the 18 inches to the black pipe all the way from the road to the house. Went to Lowes and purchased the pipes, regulator, clamps. Then got lots of white pipe for cold and cream colored pipe for hot. This purple and orange stuff that glues the pipe together. I just finished putting in new line for the new side-by-side ice maker.

This isn't rocket science. Now electrical-I don't think I'd go and try to wire my house w/ 220 or something...I'd still call an expert. But don't be afraid of plumbing! It's just pipe. And I've discovered half the battle is having the correct tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House