Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:45 PM

250 posts, read 1,112,860 times

Advertisements

What should it cost to have a garbage disposal and sink drain with piping under the sink installed?

I just got a quote of $723, which I think is outrageous. $400 of it was just to install the garbage disposal.

I know plumbing can be expensive, but for a job that should take less than an hour and I have all the parts for is just ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
What should it cost to have a garbage disposal and sink drain with piping under the sink installed?
This sounds like a task that a licensed handyman could legally perform, as compared to a licensed plummer. Craigslist

Old 08-08-2009, 05:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,790 times
It's a crappy job so it ought to pay well!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post

I just got a quote of $723, which I think is outrageous. $400 of it was just to install the garbage disposal.

I know plumbing can be expensive, but for a job that should take less than an hour and I have all the parts for is just ridiculous!
Get some more quotes. I would think under $200. If you are anywhere in the north or NW DM me and I will recommend a handyman.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:17 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
Just do it yourself, I installed one for about $150 in parts.. it wasn't that hard to do. Just sucks getting under the sink.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 PM

250 posts, read 1,112,860 times
I would love to do it myself, but I don't know how to do the piping part of it; to correctly lay it out to ensure everything flows correctly. Not too mention it would take me probably all day with multiple trips to Home Depot.

I got another plumber coming with a quote, we'll see how outrageous his is.

I will most likely go with a handy man. Thanks for the referral offer Olecapt, I am in the NW but I already have a handy man that I have used in the past.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,093 times
In defense of plumbers:
1) It is a hard job;
2) It requires a licensing procedure;
3) It requires close tolerances;
4) Plumbers are bombarded by heavy metal ions, poisonous flux from soldering and dangerous acids and other chemicals. The intake of heavy metal ions causes depression and it manifests itself by the increased incidence of alcoholism and drug addiction. Any vocation that deals with metals and soldering has the same dangers.

Okay, flame away.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Check angie's list

Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
In defense of plumbers:

4) Plumbers are bombarded by heavy metal ions, poisonous flux from soldering and dangerous acids and other chemicals. The intake of heavy metal ions causes depression and it manifests itself by the increased incidence of alcoholism and drug addiction. Any vocation that deals with metals and soldering has the same dangers.
There are pipe joining technologies that do not require soldering and are far more efficient than the traditional welding. They have been doing it in Europe for years.

Also, there are protective masks and the like that can protect welders from the fumes and other hazards on the job.

Personally, I have NO problems with what plumbers charge. However, I am NOT going to use someone who is not licensed nor will I use someone without the proper liability and Workers compensation insurance.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are pipe joining technologies that do not require soldering and are far more efficient than the traditional welding. They have been doing it in Europe for years.

Also, there are protective masks and the like that can protect welders from the fumes and other hazards on the job.

Personally, I have NO problems with what plumbers charge. However, I am NOT going to use someone who is not licensed nor will I use someone without the proper liability and Workers compensation insurance.
That task does not require a plumber. And 872 is outrageous.

And plumber do not use much precision and when they do it is generally factory provided. In fact the pipe thread spec is designed to require minimal precision. Being licensed requires little skill. See RE Agents. And the exposure of the general plumber to toxics is limited. I suspect the radio repairmen actually gets more.

But good plumbers deserve fair pay. The is not more than $60 or $70 an hour.

I am reasonably good at this stuff and I don't know how to determine who has "proper liability insurance". I would susect that to find out whether a garbage disposal installer had the right credentials would cost far more than the install...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House