Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM

230 posts, read 1,215,880 times

Advertisements

Our HOA allows fences "up to, but not on" the property line, and everyone seems to be placing them only a few 2-6 inches in from the property line. So, I guess if you need to stain the outside of your fence you have to do so (and ask permission usually) from your neighbor's property. A little more tricky if they have a fence themselves.

We cannot do double-fencing per the HOA, so we are tying in to the neighbors fence for a small stretch of 20 feet. If we stain our fence, I guess I can ask my neighbor's permission to stain the outside of their fence on that shared portion to make it look uniform. Or just have a 20 foot stretch that doesn't match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i hate verbal agreements. just hate them.
if you give somebody easement you gave it that should be then end of it, but it never is, ever.

this is what usually happens in a verbal fencing agreement.

http://www.cksinfo.com/clipart/sports/fencing/Fencing.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
Yeah, but they still *look* like vinyl

And all vinyl isn't as indestructible as one thinks. Perhaps like all products there are good, better, and best quality vinyl fence products available, but many I've seen over the years end up chalking from UV exposure, staining from the elements, and warping/sagging.

I do agree that that in general they are lower maintenance and somewhat "indestructible" over time though. I don't agree about their "green" status that some manufacturers promote though(versus "toxic" treated lumber). PVC isn't green to manufacture, and it is one of the worst offenders of off gassing VOCs.

Every vinyl fence I've ever seen in person, looked like a vinyl fence, even from a distance If that isn't an issue to the buyer/owner/community, then no big deal. But if one doesn't want their house to look exceedingly "plastic", then vinyl fencing probably isn't the best choice.

It is true that today's treated lumber isn't as durable as days of old, so it can seem that wooden fencing fails far too soon. But the main culprits are the ground contact components, the posts. For an alternative in durability, set commercial grade galvanized posts, and use quality materials for the panels and frame. The cost differential is minimal. An occasional(2-3 years) stain or water repellent will keep the fence panels and frame solid for a very very long time.

Our neighbor has a vinyl picket fence of what seems to be reasonable quality. But it is obviously vinyl and assembled from "components" even from quite a distance. It just looks cheap.

Al
I guess we will have to agree to disagree Al. Many think vinyl looks better than wood...in most circumstances I agree. I think it is a matter of ones own taste. Our previous wood fence got gaps in it within the first year. They even have different colors in the pvc now. I think a lot of people don't want to pay for them. You have to get the good stuff.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 AM

I think vinyl can look good, especially in warmer climates. You see a ton of vinyl fencing down in Miami, etc around pools. Some HOA's in places like that require you use vinyl/PVC due to the moisture problems vs. wood. In climates with cold winters, wood just seems much more natural IMO. It's also really strange to see a neighborhoood with both styles mixed in, and that would typically only be the case in a neighborhood that does not have an HOA.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
We have always offered to help pay (split) the fence - I think offering to do so would be a nice thing to do - just my thought - just a nice thing to do if you planed of fencing anyway - fences are expensive! I do agree - do not double fence - that will look terrible!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
A fence right on the property line is not allowed by zoning ordinances in some of the regions where I live. If your neighbors didn't mention this up front then they most likely didn't check it out first. And City ordinances don't give a rip about HOA (THANK GOD!) so in the event of disputes it becomes a civil matter. At least your realtor checked into it.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
We have always offered to help pay (split) the fence - I think offering to do so would be a nice thing to do - just my thought - just a nice thing to do if you planed of fencing anyway - fences are expensive! I do agree - do not double fence - that will look terrible!
So now that I have the fence up, should I go knock on the neighbor's door and say, "Pay up, sucka!"

Kidding..

Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 AM

2 posts, read 9,969 times
I'm planning to get the davis paint, I'm still checking out other brands but it's inexpensive and very much appealing.

[url]http://www.thehardwarecity.com/?sku=6501258[/url]

Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 9,618 times
Everyone who has lived next door to us has had dogs.I fenced in my back yard to keep the dogs out of my garden.Another renter moved in next door and hookked into my fence in two places without asking and made a dog pen out of one side of my fence.What can I do.The tie in on the back is not chain link like mine but a piece of farm fence.Can I remove this piece from my fence?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
1) She did not ask us to share cost for the fence. Since they've already started building at back of their yard, I could see that it's standard dog ear type wood fence. Should I have offerred to share a part cost of our common property line?
No. Not unless you want a different type of fence. Then you would negotiate by offering to pay a portion.

Quote:
2) If they build the fence right on the property line, would they need permission to come to "our side" to maintain the fence?
These types of questions always annoy me. I can't imagine living next to a neighbor who would require me to ask permission to come onto their property to maintain a fence. What happened to getting along with people?

Quote:
3) Since we had plan to put in our fence next year, but we wanted the white plastic fence instead of regular wood fence. If they put their wood fence right on the property line, we will have no choice but to build our fence either right next to their fence, or have some setback from their fence. What would be the best way?

4) If we put up our white fence right next to their wood fence, would this cause maintenance problem in the future?
It would be crazy to build a fence right next to theirs or even partially set back. You both would need to maintain your fences. Mold will become a problem.

Quote:
5) Should I ask them to consider to move their fence back 6 inches ~ 1 foot from the property line? I would do likewise on my side of fence?
Depends on how far along they are in the construction. You already gave them permission. Just imagine the headache you'll cause if you change your mind.

Quote:
They are nice neighbors and we want to maintain good relationship with them. But just want to make sure that there will be no potential conflict in the future with this issue.
If you want to avoid conflict with your neighbors, you should accept that you agreed to their building a fence where they are building it---without even thinking of asking for details. You have a dog ear wood fence. Learn to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House