Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,717,822 times

Advertisements

It's only 672 sq. ft. and I want to get an idea as far as expansion options there might be.

I was thinking of adding a one car garage, attached or not, and/or an extension out the back. Right now the kitchen and one of the two bedrooms is as the back of the house. It is a pier and beam construction and there looks to be no major deficiencies that I could see. Also there is an alleyway at the back. The only reason this is being contemplated at all is the value of the land which is about three times that of the home.
Attached Thumbnails
What could I do with this 1966 cottage?-1404-garden-e.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,739,043 times
You say the value of the house is 1/3 the value of the land? That makes me think you are in a tear down neighborhood. If everyone else is tearing them down and building new for the land value, then think long and hard about what its worth doing to that house. You will never improve the house enough to sell the house, not the land. If you are ok with that, then go ahead.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:30 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,704,339 times
Default We don't have a clue.........

Well does have a nice sidewalk. Cabin in the sun, only with them trees might have to wait for winter. Least the leaves will not be filling up the gutters, hey no gutters. The forest up close and personal.

Just the typical lil bungalow in a big chain link fence selling for what, maybe $999K.

We have no clue what is doing on, where it is, or who lives next door. What are those monkey bars in front? Could this be CA???

They love those type bargains out there. Baby would probably rent for $3000 a month what a deal. That amount of land you probably can build a fast food drive up joint in the back. Happy dazes are here again.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,113,437 times
Judging by the poster's history, that's either Central Austin or East Austin. Those neighborhoods can go either way: lots of renovated older homes mixed in with brand new bungalows and McMansions on their teeny tiny lots. I wouldn't add a garage if that was my house; I'd rather use that space for an addition to increase the house size if the pier and beam structure is still good.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,618,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
It's only 672 sq. ft. and I want to get an idea as far as expansion options there might be.

I was thinking of adding a one car garage, attached or not, and/or an extension out the back. Right now the kitchen and one of the two bedrooms is as the back of the house. It is a pier and beam construction and there looks to be no major deficiencies that I could see. Also there is an alleyway at the back. The only reason this is being contemplated at all is the value of the land which is about three times that of the home.
There are answers you need to provide for us...

First of all, do you own this home, or are you thinking of buying it?
If you own it, do you live in it, or is it an investment property?
If you live in it, do you need more space, or is it just something you want?
Also, are you going to be doing any and all updates/renovations/additions yourself, or hire them done?

All these things play a major role in the "what to do with it?" aspect of this house.

If it is an investment property and you are intending to rent it out, I'd simply fix all the cosmetics to be as appealing as possible, and rent it out as a small, inexpensive house. Pouring tons of money into a rental house is not a good investment.

If it is the house you live in, and you want/need more space, I'd put an addition on the back (assuming the back of the structure is as the front).

I'd add a perpendicular addition, making either a T or L roofline. I'd work with a 24' span (4/12 pitch rafters of that span are inexpensive). Go straight back as far as you need for living space (24' back would add 576 sqf and give you a total of about 1250 sqf), then go another 20' further back and have a 2-car garage under the same roofline.

I believe that would be the single most economical way of adding living space and a garage.

That said, it'd be VERY helpful to have more information.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM

Yes Calel it is in East Austin in the Holly Street area, which is probably about 80% gentrified by now.

I am thinking about buying this home and living in it, possibly long term since I plan on being with the same employer and in Austin for awhile.

Right now I have 1070 sq. ft. so when I move into this one I might feel claustrophobic, hence the idea for adding on. It would be nice to have just a one car garage and workspace and be able to move the washer/dryer out of the kitchen into it.

The perpendicular addition sounds promising. I've seen at least one other home in this area with this type.
I would hire someone to do the updates minus stuff like painting and flooring.

As far as why am I consider this particular house. Well the home in other areas of C. Austin are way more expensive. Older homes in this area need tons of work and this one doesn't.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:01 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,618,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Yes Calel it is in East Austin in the Holly Street area, which is probably about 80% gentrified by now.

I am thinking about buying this home and living in it, possibly long term since I plan on being with the same employer and in Austin for awhile.

Right now I have 1070 sq. ft. so when I move into this one I might feel claustrophobic, hence the idea for adding on. It would be nice to have just a one car garage and workspace and be able to move the washer/dryer out of the kitchen into it.

The perpendicular addition sounds promising. I've seen at least one other home in this area with this type.
I would hire someone to do the updates minus stuff like painting and flooring.

As far as why am I consider this particular house. Well the home in other areas of C. Austin are way more expensive. Older homes in this area need tons of work and this one doesn't.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

I do all my own work - including building a couple additions on an acreage house we lived in years ago - so I'm not sure what construction prices are going to be.

But from what I can tell, new construction is probably going to cost you about $150 per square foot. Some people claim as low as $80 per sqf, and some claim as high as $200 per sqf.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,095,578 times
Thanks to the OP for coming back and clarifying.

It's cute.

600+ sq ft. would be considered downright spacious in some parts of NYC.

You might also want to do some research into the small or tiny house movement. You might pick up some great ideas for storage and/or making a small place more liveable.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/small-house-society

TinyHouses

Good luck and have fun!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,701,973 times
East Austin is "probably about 80% gentrified by now".

Ya think?

Why are you guessing? I assume you've been there? East Austin has always been and will always be, a low income minority neighborhood. IMO this house is a shack. Worthy of tear down and in a rundown neighborhood that certainly should not be described as *gentrified*.

Walk away. Before the roaches carry the house away (have you had a pest inspection? )

Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
East Austin is "probably about 80% gentrified by now".

Ya think?

Why are you guessing? I assume you've been there? East Austin has always been and will always be, a low income minority neighborhood. IMO this house is a shack. Worthy of tear down and in a rundown neighborhood that certainly should not be described as *gentrified*.

Walk away. Before the roaches carry the house away (have you had a pest inspection? )
You misquoted me. I said the Holly St. area of East Austin is probably 80% gentrified by now. If you go east of there things get progressively worse. I have made crime reports for this neighborhood from the City of Austin Police Department's GIS viewer so I'm not going into this blind.

BTW the house across the street, 1405 Garden, is appraised by the county at $718,000. Maybe you should refamiliarize yourself with the east side instead of going by outdated stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House