Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,009 times

Advertisements

Is front door facing other people's back yard a problem? The house I am looking at is like that. the opposite side of the street has a house going N-S, but my house is W-E. So its front door is looking at some other people's back yard fence.

Is this a problem when I sell this house? I personally like it because one less pair of eyes looking at me on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times
It is oddly common in my neighborhood where many of the houses have entries to the side. When you factor in jogs or curves in the road and corner lots at least one house on each block comes close to the description. Its fine unless the neighbor keeps a messy yard. And it does not seem to be an issue with resale but maybe its because someone attracted to my neighborhood is fine with that (ie if its a problem they might skip this neighborhood altogether since we have large back yards but small front and side yards.)

Old 08-28-2009, 09:40 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,472 times
There are some houses here that are strangely built behind other houses. They face the same direction, so the house in the back looks out over the other house's backyard. I liked one on realtor.com but crossed it off my list the moment I drove by it. I'd feel like the hired help living in servant's quarters there.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,009 times
This house is looking at someone's back yard side fence from across the street. It feels more secluded which is what i like, but not sure how others would like when i sell.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:53 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,009 times
Default Is your new to be street called a Terrace or Place

Lots of examples of places built looking up somebody else's backsides. But they probably are not "Normal" streets.

They got a lot behind another house. So somebody builds a shack back there. Your street number is a 1/2 number. Like 442 1/2 Weird Street, My Town, USA. Mail man loves it if he has to walk behind another house. Lots of folks will never find your house.

The other way it happens, there is an entire lil street back there. Might have a street sign, might not, might be called a Private Way. It gets named some sort of Terrace or Place. Again the joys of folks trying to find it. After a while you figure out those type streets means it is in back looking up the other guys back side. Lots of them won't be in the book of maps for a city or the electronic nagivator will go nuts trying to find a new one, maybe even a old one with only a few houses. It can get lonely back there. Snow plow never comes, the World never knows you exist. Some big time cons maybe hiding out back there. The milkman can't even find it. Forget the UPS guy, he leaves all your packages with somebody else.

Yeah, it might affect your resale potential in today's status concerned World. You could always try for a resale to a proctologist. Rumor has it they enjoy that type of view from the backside of life.

I've looked for more than my share of Terraces or Places, some of them I never found either.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
There are some houses here that are strangely built behind other houses. They face the same direction, so the house in the back looks out over the other house's backyard.
We had those in Connecticut when I lived there - they were called "flag lots" because the lot consisted of a long skinny driveway from the road and then an acre or two lot sitting behind the lot directly on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House