Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:32 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

I lived in a neighborhood full of 'em in Cincinnati, built from 1925-1929. Very working class, mixed in age and ethnicity. Nobody in that neighborhoods makes close to $100,000 a year, and I'd be willing to bet that only about a third of the residents in the neighborhood were college graduates. Most of the houses sell for less than $100,000.

I bought my 1.5 story, 1100 square foot house in 1992 from the original owner, who raised three kids in a house with three bedrooms, three meager closets, and one teeny bathroom. The couple across the street raised six kids in theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,635 times
Almost by definition, bungalows(not bungaloids - which are often larger scaled "craftsman" or "bungalow" inspired homes) were designed specifically for the middle-class and are typically small to mid-size in scale. Thousands were built across the nation, and today one can still find them in everything from challenged urban neighborhoods to spendy gentrified communities.

It is true that during the housing bubble that many older "historic" urban neighborhoods enjoyed revitalization, and associated valuation increases. But many bungalows(and related styles) in these older neighborhoods remain affordable and decidedly middle-class.

Another component of "trends" that tend to burn out are overexposure and lack honest execution. So knock-offs of any true style can be at risk of becoming yesterday's trend, but the originals rarely do. With that in mind, although any style can go through periods of waning and waxing popularity, the originals never seem to completely go out of style.

I will agree that in the last 10 or so years that "bungalows" did have a bit of a renaissance, and I think that demographic is starting to shift a bit to "the next thing" which seems to be mid-century. If one were investing, mid-century may be the next architectural bubble on the horizon, but I think bungalows, colonials, tudor revivals, etc will still have their own niche and remain popular.

Al

Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Bungalow architecture has been popular for many, many years. A true bungalow is 1 1/2 stories...you see them with two - but those are later additions. I lived in Long Beach, CA for much of my life and bungalows there could be very pricey, designated historic and desirable. Bungalow architecture is not unique to the United States....bungalow style homes were built in many countries throughout the world - even Russia! Some were sold with all the furniture included - even dinnerware and bed linens were included. There was even a bungalow song.....here is a website with lots of great bungalow homes that are for sale.

http://www.calbungalow.com/index.html

Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM

I think one will find many debated definitions of what constitutes a "real" bungalow, but I think most definitions limit a pure bungalow to a single story, where 1.5 story "bungaloids" like ours were considered to adaptations of the style that had many of the key craftsman/bungalow features, but were larger structures. Although many single story bungalows had gable or shed dormer windows, most were decorative and tied to the attic space. That being said, there are also many bungalow designs that do have a small bedroom or heated space in the attic area that some would still define as a "bungalow".

All one has to do is read forum posts at any number of "old house" or "bungalow" forums, not to mention many of the books on the subject, to see that this topic clearly has many interpretations

Bungalow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California Bungalow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bungalow Styles - House Style Pictures - Bungalow Houses

But like many things, "you know one when you see it" and even if a particular house only has some of the major features, or has a departure or two, it can certainly still be a bungalow. Given the variety of plans available for decades, it is hard to set hard rules.

Al

Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
I received my definition of bungalow from a Professor of Historic Arcitecture whose speciality was bungalow architecture....no debate as far as I am concerned - a true bungalow is 1 1/2 stories....anyone can put anything on Wikipedia....and few are degreed experts on the bungalow.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I think the definition is regional, too. The house I lived in was not called a bungalow in Cincinnati; it was called a Cape Cod. In Cleveland, however, every story and a half house is a bungalow, no matter its style or era.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Lightbulb Definitions still vary....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I think the definition is regional, too. The house I lived in was not called a bungalow in Cincinnati; it was called a Cape Cod. In Cleveland, however, every story and a half house is a bungalow, no matter its style or era.
Yes, indeed it is absolutely true that there are regional styles of bungalows, and even regional/colloquial definitions of what a structure must characteristically include to be a bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I received my definition of bungalow from a Professor of Historic Arcitecture whose speciality was bungalow architecture....no debate as far as I am concerned - a true bungalow is 1 1/2 stories....anyone can put anything on Wikipedia....and few are degreed experts on the bungalow.

Cattknap, I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative ...but your response exemplifies the point I was trying to make.... that opinions on an absolute authoritative definition of what constitutes, or doesn't constitute a bunglow can vary

I don't doubt that your source is very educated, knowledgeable, and may be a recognized expert on the subject; but then again while I am not a degreed researcher on the subject, I have a lifelong interest in historic architecture, am the vice chair of our city's HPC, have lived in and restored bungalows, and have researched them and other historic styles extensively myself.

And, I'd have to respectfully disagree that the definitions do vary among laymen and "experts". The term "bungalow" is really more of a catch-all for an architectural style that can incorporate many key characteristics, other styles, and depending on who one asks, and depending on their conservative or liberal interpretation of their definition... the classification of a particular structure as a "pure" bungalow can be interpreted to subjectively include any number of these "key" characteristics.

But what is usually interesting that while one could nit-pick individual characteristics, taken as a whole most experts or layman usually do know a typical bungalow form when they see it as a whole. It may or may not fulfill every characteristic that is considered "key" and it may have regional variations such as stucco or even very low or near flat gabled roof-lines such as seen in oriental or "airplane" bungalows. But considered as a whole it may yet constitute the spirit of a bungalow for some, for others, perhaps not.

Here is such an example that definitely wouldn't fulfill the 1.5 story characteristic, nor the tall gable(front or cross) that many associate with the bungalow form:

http://tampafloridarealestatefinder....alow_front.jpg

And I don't think this is a bad thing, this subjectivity, as we do have sub-genre specific regional styles starting to be recognized, and it really is typical. In architecture one very rarely finds high-style or architecturally pure examples, the few that are usually are museums. Most real-world structures are hybrids such as tudor-bungalows, colonial-four-square, etc. So practically speaking it is often more reasonable to identify the type of structure style(e.g. Four Square) and architectural style(e.g. Craftsman, Tudor) that a given structure could fit into.

It is true that I cited Wikipedia, and often include a disclaimer similar as you point out(although Wikipedia is actually a fairly reliable source), but all one has to do is ask several "experts", read forums like those at previously mentioned "American Bungalow Magazine", or peruse numerous books on the subject and it becomes clear that the fundamental cues of a bungalow styled structure are fairly uniform in definition(although again can be regionally influenced) but some characteristics such as size and number of stories seems be loosely defined. For example, some "airplane" bungalows could possibly be considered 2 story with their "pop up" secondary structure.

One thing seems to be clear though, most architectural historians & architects do find that many structures with 2 true stories or more is not a true bungalow, and is more of a craftsman(perhaps with other characteristics shared by bungalows and/or hybridized such as Four Square or other structural features).

And it also may be that part of the issue with these sorts of debates is "semantics". I see this all the time with appraisals and historic district surveys, where one describes a home as "2 stories" and another as "1.5 stories". And sometimes these definitions get mis-applied.

It is absolutely true that all typical bungalows are a single occupied story(ground floor) with a high gable roof, which may or may not include living space on that second attic floor. To some this would be defined as a single story, others a 1.5 story regardless. However, to really be a 1.5 story, the structure would have to have livable/heated space up in that gable "attic" space, and certainly many bungalows do exhibit this characteristic and because that livable space was directly enclosed within the roof slope, that makes it a 1.5 story versus 2 story. This is the configuration of our home for example.

You can see that 1.5 story scenario with our home here:

http://www.isenhourhouse.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/318_Summett_210.jpg (broken link)

But conversely I'd argue a significant percentage of bungalows do not have livable space up in the attic originally even if they could have accommodated it although they may even have purely ornamental gable roof vent or window dormer in the attic. So for those, they would be a single story structure as the "story" refers to livable/heated space, not attic space.

Here are some interesting discussions/definitions on the subject:

Definition of two story home- Ask an Appraiser - Appraisers Forum

Webster Architects

WikiAnswers - What is the definition of a half story of a house and can the half story be on the ground floor

Again though, regionally one may find more "bungalows" being 1.5 story than single story, and vice versa. In the regions I've lived where I lived in or was in close proximity to bungalow "belts" in Louisiana, Texas, and California, the single story bungalow where there was no finished/livable/heated space in that attic 1/2 story seemed more common.

And to that point, here is an example/article defining the type of "southern" bungalow I have spent most of my life around that is a 1 story form:

Old-House Journal

(Note interesting links to other styles from the page above too )

For example, the following bungalows are clearly a bungalow, but it appears to only have livable space on one story, although the attic/gable space obviously has the room to accommodate living space. And from an appraisal and architectural definition, it is a single story:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...bungalow01.jpg

http://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/image...muncie0002.jpg

Conversely, similarly styled bungalows as seen in the photos below are clearly 1.5 story where that under-roof gable space does have living space:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/California_bungalow.jpg (broken link)

http://z.about.com/d/architecture/1/...89afbd6c68.jpg

Here is another definition of a "bungalow" and interestingly it doesn't mention size/stories at all as a requirement:

Cal Bungalow: California Bungalow Architecture Styles and Features

It also has an interesting reference at the bottom of the article above to the "craftsman revival" the original poster more-or-less seems to be referring to, and I touch upon in my first post. I again believe that indeed the last 10-20 years of renewed interest in bungalows(and craftsman) architecture certainly could wane, but I don't think it will ever become unfashionable. Trends are interesting social phenomena, and in architecture particularly so. One can take just about any style that had wide-spread popularity and track its "meteoric" rise over a decade or two, then note its fall from fashion and likely even disdain, but then note that after some period of time the style has a renaissance in appreciation and after that point(which may have been decades) are cherished as architectural milestones... especially the housing stock that is now left after so many were left to be demolished or otherwise lost.

This has happened with many styles we all agree today are worth appreciating like Victorians which at one point not too long ago weren't appreciated at all, and today we see the mid-century homes starting to come into their own after decades of public derision. It is always interesting to see that progression.

Anyway, there are so many definitions of what can be a bungalow, and so many regional styles that it really is hard to nail down exactly "pure" examples. But to me, with regard to number of stories, a true bungalow is a single story, or if the bungalow has a high gable roof, an engaged 1.5 story where the windows are either piercing the gable end or within small dormers(typically shed type). One a structure starts to exhibit what in reality appears to be a "2 story" structure with distinct second story vertical exterior walls, that "bungalow" classification becomes questionable as the whole spirit of a ground hugging, low, and space efficient design starts to erode.

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 09-02-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Holy &*#t Al, you really take the whole bungalow definition thing seriously!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
I live near Buffalo NY. The area has tons of bungalows! They are in the city and all the older suburbs. If my husband had not bought this ranch before we married, I'd have looked for a bungalow..... if we hit the lottery someday, I would like to get one and renovate it. They are wonderful sturdy homes, a bit short on storage sometimes, and the kitchens are a bit odd ( often with a place for an icebox and pantry set off from the kitchen). One thing to look for: a solid basement. Many look great, but basements were often built cheaply -- many of these were actually kit homes. ( Sears sold them)

Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times
These are formally known as Arts & Crafts Style Homes that was popular from 1900 - 1929. They are of different forms in different parts of the country. One notices the one and one half story in CA to the full large two story w/ attic and full basements in the Northeast and Midwest, but they are formally known as Arts & Crafts Homes.

In their original condition they are superb examples of quality built homes. The have 2 floors with beds and bath above on 2nd floor. They usually have at least one Fireplace with matching leaded glass windows on either side over built in bookcases below. Many have pocket type doors that separate one room from another but open up for expansive purposes. There are separate eat in kitchens and dining rooms usually with oak wood paneled walls.

They have mission style light fixtures and much of the interior wood is normally Tiger Oak, even the doors. There are usually built in breakfast nooks with built in benches and table, as well as bookcases, and shelving / china cabinets in the kitchen. Baths are normally tiled on the floors with the small black & white inch squares. The tiles on the wall were almost always white, with a bull nose black capped tile above, to match the porcelain enameled fixtures. The main floors are always exclusively hardwood, normally oak in 2 inch wide tongue and groove strips. Of course wooden steps and hardwood railings and ballisters.

Since they were built in the early 20th century, they often contain lead pipes and asbestoes covered heating pipes leading up to radiators. Most homes built in the cooler climates all had forced hot water systems. They usually have some attic space and full basements. They usually have some sort of front porch. Many are built with exterior stucco walls trimed with wood.

They have that distictive look and one can pick them out quite easily. If you have an opportunity to buy one that hasn't been wrecked by the modern hand, you are fortunate, but you will have to replace the orignal lead water pipes for obvious health reasons. I wouldn't touch the asbestoes covered pipes unless they are in such disrepair they are falling away from the pipes. You will then need a certified HM removal service to deal with this type problem.

Electric is usually knob and tube type and also needs to be converted into modern circuit breakers at 220 amps. When converting, one must get a electrician who is experienced in this type of work or an inexperienced one will kill your walls and ceilings that are made from horsehair plaster and wood laff. It's worth the money to do it correctly.

If you have an opportunity to buy one that has been loving restored to its original condition, they are a rare treat and I would recommend buying it for the quality of the construction and the beauty of the style.

Last edited by brien51; 06-15-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House