Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 AM

191 posts, read 236,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The young professionals are going to be fighting the retiring baby boomers for those ranches. We hope to find a mid century ourselves to remodel. LOL
...and there you have it, "midcentury modern."

Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
Smile thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
It's amazing how things are viewed different regionally. Where I am (CT) vinyl is common, even on houses over $500k. I've never heard of it being considered 'low end'. You see it on ranches, colonials, contemporaries, you name it.

When we sold our home in '05, the first thing the buyers did was vinyl side it. And I'm currently living in one of these mid-century ranches you're talking about : ) that is also vinyl sided (a rental).

Nynraleigh, your new house is looking nice, congratulations! It should be easy to maintain for years to come.

thank you, I am looking forward to moving day... 56 days, but who is counting...haha

Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
You don't consider those 1960s, 1000sq ft houses, haven't been updated since then, to be an actual alternative do you? Sure you can find them, but you'd have to put in scores of time and money to actually have a nice home.

Hmmm, we just bought one. The brick exterior is still in great shape. The house does need some modernizing but has all hardwood floors and is in a great location on a good size lot. (And our mid-century thrift store furniture fits right in...)

Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
Wow. hardwoods, brick, an actual yard? Sign me up!!

Congrats on your purchase, Alice!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I've owned (and updated) two 30-year old houses. I didn't do any of the work myself though - the challenge is finding good contractors. I wouldn't shy away from buying an older house that needs a little work as long as the location and lot were nice. I don't think I'd mess with major renovations or additions, but new cabinets and flooring in a kitchen isn't hard to get done at all. Wallpaper can be a nightmare though, as well as panelling that's glued to the wall instead of nailed (what a mess!).

Old 05-01-2007, 10:35 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
Thanks, cooperwx. We really lucked into our house: in a good area of Chapel Hill for well under <$200K. I haven't seen anything remotely close for less than $220K. Thank goodness for the menancing dog in the MLS photo who scared everyone else away!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Default updating houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I've owned (and updated) two 30-year old houses. I didn't do any of the work myself though - the challenge is finding good contractors. I wouldn't shy away from buying an older house that needs a little work as long as the location and lot were nice. I don't think I'd mess with major renovations or additions, but new cabinets and flooring in a kitchen isn't hard to get done at all. Wallpaper can be a nightmare though, as well as panelling that's glued to the wall instead of nailed (what a mess!).
We've done everything you've mentioned ourselves. I've stripped cork off walls and wallpaper. DH removed panelling himself, but I don't remember if it was glued or nailed. We haven't attempted drywall yet. I've seen so many horror stories in my hood with contractors, it's not worth the aggravation if you can do it. Recently, DH designed and is almost finished with our Trex deck. We are going to try and purchase an 1800 - 2000 sqft ranch in RDU - plenty big enough for the two of us. Not all mid centuries are only 1,000 sqft. We won't buy with a two-story behind us. Our fear is having someone add a second level to a ranch and destroy our backyard privacy. The only solution I guess is to get a really large lot. LOL

Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Yeah, if I had a husband (or could kidnap my dad for a year!) I'd do the work myself. I had good luck finding people in Virginia, no idea how it is down here. You'd remember if the panelling was glued on - because the paper on your drywall would have been ruined (ugh). The worst task I attempted myself was removing ~120 12"x12" mirror tiles from a dining room wall (yay 70's!). Either that or putting 3 or 4 coats of Killz on a cigarette smoke stained swirled plaster ceiling! There are definitely some things I know to stay far, far away from in the future!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 PM

133 posts, read 710,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
...In my opinion, the biggest negative about vinyl siding is that it cannot be painted so you're stuck with the same colors for a long long time. But then again, that's the biggest attraction, too!
We painted our first house, including the vinyl siding, before selling. It looked great! The house definitely looked newer.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:40 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,408 times
I don't understand why people drive cheap compact cars like Toyota Echos or Saturn Ions. Have you taken a look at what those cars look like after 20 years? They're falling apart!!!
In my opinion, I think BMWs are much better. I don't know why everyone doesn't drive them. And they're only about $200/month more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House