Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in here have direct experience with a 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide swimming pool. The normal pools are CH or salt but there is another option that doesnt have the carcinogenic chemicals Chlorine and Bromine. H2O2 is nothing more than water with an extra O atom.

That said I am considering making the switch and wondered if anyone has done so. Do you have any issues with algae? How often do you have to ad H2O2? the literature I see says you don't run the pool very much, just enough to mix... How long?

It appears you convert by placing H2O2 in the pool at 1 cup / 500 gallons, or 3.5 gallons in my case ( 28,000 gal pool) then you maintain the pool from 50-100 ppm and can go up to 1000ppm With a CH pool I have had such issues with keeping the water blue I am concerned about H2O2 keeping it so.

I found H2O2 for $98 / 4 gallons. I know it doesn't have a shelf life of more than 60-90 days. I wonder how much will need to be added. How much do you keep on hand or do you buy it at regular intervals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Does 1-3 ppm of chlorine actually scare you? Keeping the pool clear and blue is easy if you understand how pool chemistry works. Chlorine is pretty cheap. If you use those chlorine tablets then most likely your stabilizer is too high, the CYA.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We use a chlorine generator. You keep the water slightly salty and the machine makes the salt into chlorine. It is nice becuase you can keep the chlorine level lower than you need to with added chlorine. The slightly salty water is easier on your eyes. The best thing is that you never have to do anything with it. Just set it up and go. You do have to adjust the PH from time to time and throw in a bag of salt every now and again.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Chlorine pools use salt also. Calcium Chloride. I used to keep it at 300 ppm. It's one of the major factors in keeping the pool neutralized to slightly acidic on the calcium saturation index.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Does anyone in here have direct experience with a 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide swimming pool. The normal pools are CH or salt but there is another option that doesnt have the carcinogenic chemicals Chlorine and Bromine. H2O2 is nothing more than water with an extra O atom.

That said I am considering making the switch and wondered if anyone has done so. Do you have any issues with algae? How often do you have to ad H2O2? the literature I see says you don't run the pool very much, just enough to mix... How long?

It appears you convert by placing H2O2 in the pool at 1 cup / 500 gallons, or 3.5 gallons in my case ( 28,000 gal pool) then you maintain the pool from 50-100 ppm and can go up to 1000ppm With a CH pool I have had such issues with keeping the water blue I am concerned about H2O2 keeping it so.

I found H2O2 for $98 / 4 gallons. I know it doesn't have a shelf life of more than 60-90 days. I wonder how much will need to be added. How much do you keep on hand or do you buy it at regular intervals?
my husband used h2o2 when we had a pool. He bought the h2o2 in huge 5 gallon buckets. I was always nervous being around that stuff in the shed. He also used silver and copper to help cut down bacteria growth. I thought the h2o2 was hard on my daughter's hair. Her hair turned platinuum blond and styed that way for several years. Also when he first added the h12o2 to the pool, the kids could not get in for a while... it would irritatie the eyes. Now these problems may also be the same for chlorine.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

Just do yourself a favor and use this: The Pool Calculator and follow thinks for explanations. If you have any problems come back and someone here or me will be more than happy to help you.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks Kcam for the response. My questions are indeed abouot H2O2 pools not the CH pools... mine currently is HC but I am considering switching. There isn't any really good news about the qualities of CH So I was looking at alternatives.

I'd appreciate anyones input on the H2O2 pools.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM

If you're on city water you're drinking water that's been treated by chlorine, you're also washing clothes and yourself in it...

Old 09-26-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If you're on city water you're drinking water that's been treated by chlorine, you're also washing clothes and yourself in it...

That doesn't mean it is good for you. I also use filters to remove the CH.

Some locales also add floride which also makes cancer rates rise. I am not one to accept that all the government does is for our highest good. Remember they also approved Aspartame which has more toxic side effects than just about any product ever associated with food. Do we need to mention the FDA approval of Olestra?... yes it really did have the warning label " may cause anal leaking"

Of course the whole purpose of the post is to get people with direct experience with H2O2 pools to provide info. I have done my homework on salt pools and the whole point is to find a healthier alternative to CH.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 12,328 times
What is the latest on Hydrogen Peroxide pools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House