Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,591,995 times

Advertisements

Is it making any other noise? Does it click on and then the compressor just does not come on? If so, it could be a motor issue.

I don't suppose it's new enough to be under warranty?

If they're just replacing a motor, it could be a couple hundred dollars, or to replace the compressor ... maybe $1500 plus labor.

Whole new unit = $6,000+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 18,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is it making any other noise? Does it click on and then the compressor just does not come on? If so, it could be a motor issue.

I don't suppose it's new enough to be under warranty?

If they're just replacing a motor, it could be a couple hundred dollars, or to replace the compressor ... maybe $1500 plus labor.

Whole new unit = $6,000+
Just a humming; the compressor apparently doesn't cycle but as I said, was pretty warm. Should the fan be on as soon as the unit is called upon or does the compressor have to engage prior to the fan motor powering up? I guess I'm asking if the fan should still be spinning regardless of whether the compressor is good or not?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 PM

The outdoor fan should only spin when the unit is called on and actively cooling. There can be a moment between the time when you hear it click on and the compressor comes on, but just a few seconds.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 18,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The outdoor fan should only spin when the unit is called on and actively cooling. There can be a moment between the time when you hear it click on and the compressor comes on, but just a few seconds.
So if I call for A/C from the house thermostat and the relay in the condenser unit pulls in and sends the 230V through it, then I should see the fan spinning regardless of the compressor (which should also be working but isn't)? Because it sure doesn't spin. That said, I can stick a screwdriver through the screen and spin it freely by hand. Should the outdoor fan be on or not? Sorry, I'm a little confused. TIA.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 PM

17,415 posts, read 65,584,777 times
We can all speculate, pontificate, and explain one rationale after another- and for what?

Call a HVAC tech to inspect-
To me it just sounds like the condenser fan motor is shot or the relay isn't working properly.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 AM

I'm not sure what you mean "regardless of the compressor."

The fan should spin when the unit is on.

Get a tech to come out. Tell him you want to know what the problem is and you want a quote. You don't have to do the repairs and can get a second opinion on the price if you want, but you will probably have to pay a charge for the service call.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,315,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
So if I call for A/C from the house thermostat and the relay in the condenser unit pulls in and sends the 230V through it, then I should see the fan spinning regardless of the compressor (which should also be working but isn't)? Because it sure doesn't spin. That said, I can stick a screwdriver through the screen and spin it freely by hand. Should the outdoor fan be on or not? Sorry, I'm a little confused. TIA.
Have you tried Google or Youtube?

How do you know the compressor is not working? From your description you state it's warm and humming. That tells me it's working.

No fan = refrigerant doesn't get cooled in the condenser and therefore is not cooling when expanded in the evaporator. The fan (aka condenser motor) is most likely the cause of the "no cool" complaint.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:24 PM

106 posts, read 397,517 times
Just to give a 2013 update to the original question that generated this thread:

I had a 3.5 ton 13 Seer Goodman/Copeland compressor replaced on Monday for $2700 total installed price. That's in Madison, MS. And that price is after I negotiated a $250 price reduction from the original quote.

I've seen the same compressor advertised online for $1000, but that didn't include installing, installation parts, charging with R-22 freon, and labor. Also the installer's warranty.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,674 times
Default Finally happened

Hello, I would like some knowledgeable advise:

Scenario: We've lived in our house for approximate 10 yrs. It has a "split" system A/C system (two compressor units). Yesterday no.2 system (upstairs) stopped working. I had a tech come out to investigate. The culprit is a faulty/failed compressor--he said it is grounded (How does that destroy a compressor?). The model of system is Payne model PA10. Here's the good part....$2850 to replace the old compressor with a new 13 SEER r-22 compressor unit. The tech said I should do it now b/c it will be difficult to get the exact replacement model and if I wait to long I'll have to upgrade to a more expensive system because the freon in my old unit is being phased out for a newer type (and the new type will cost around $6000...for ONE.).

Question: Why the heck can't I just find a replacement compressor on my own and swap it out with the malfunctioning one?? I watched the tech open the back of the compressor/fan housing to check for grounds and look at the capacitor. It does not look all that daunting, I guess because I'm not an HVAC tech, I feel like I'm about to be taken to the cleaners. I'm currently unemployed and these days its really bleak out there.I very mechanically inclined (stripped,rebuilt auto engines,etc) so I know how to handle tools. I can't afford to cough up thousands of dollars at a time esp. if I can get away with 8 or $900 dollar repair if I do it myself.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,640 times
I was told that I need a new compressor and I have had bids from $1300 to $2000 for the same job. I have had one guy tell me for a few Hundred more he could replace the whole condensing unit and it comes with a 5 year warranty. Sounds like a no brainer, would you do this ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House