Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,587,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
desertsun needs to get out of the sun and go out to some plumbing supply houses. :-)
While cast iron pipe is rarely used in horizontal runs, I have seen it used many times in new construction (high end homes) for the vent pipes, and vertical runs (as texdav said).
I honestly have not seen it in the south west and the north east nor on the east coast. I will only say though I have been in plumbing supply stores, I never walked into where they stock the pipes. Where the hell are they still using cast iron? How does cost effectiveness, time consuming and degree of difficulty does using cast iron rate on the stupid scale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM

212 posts, read 698,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Really? Strange that in my last 30 years in new home construction I have never seen cast iron pipe used. Probably because it has not been used since about 1959. It has not even been available to purchase for more then 20 years. Plastic is not noisy.

Nothing wrong with cast iron? You mean it ain't too heavy to work with? Perhaps you should ask a Plumbers opinion on that one. I really dont think he will agree with you at all.

In 1959 you would be talking about bell and spigot cast iron with poured lead joints.It was replaced with "no hub" cast iron.I am a plumber for 30+ years and foolishly used all pvc when i gutted and redid my whole house..The horizontals on pvc are fine.The verticals are noisy.Yes i insulated the pipe and walls.I can hear a toilet flush on the first floor when it comes down the drop to the basement.
Allways use cast iron no hub on the stacks(verticals)and you can use no hub clamps to continue with pvc on all the waste piping that runs horizontally.I am embarrassed with myself for saving $50 in materials and hearing the shower running or toilet flushing for the last 10 tears.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM

212 posts, read 698,682 times
Default Stupid Scale?time to get on scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I honestly have not seen it in the south west and the north east nor on the east coast. I will only say though I have been in plumbing supply stores, I never walked into where they stock the pipes. Where the hell are they still using cast iron? How does cost effectiveness, time consuming and degree of difficulty does using cast iron rate on the stupid scale?
Pvc pipe is illegal in 3 stories and above.Main reason is the poisonous fumes given off in a fire.If your above the fire your dead before any fire or smoke that you can see gets there.Any fire departments that have to respond above 3 stories have made it illegal for the safety(ability to live)of the firemen and they also like the ability to carry out victims who have a chance to be alive.Isn't that stoopid?
If one isn't a plumber you would be surprised what behind the counter that you can't see.
In one story houses in the northeast i have seen pvc in the basement with woodstoves.By the time there is a little fire starting and the pvc starts melting and smoldering the occupants are dead before the call goes into the house.So pvc has obvious risks including unnecessary loss of life.I myself installed recessed sprinkler heads in my home.Completely unnecessary according to code.Oh,...and sprinklers can sometimes go off and damage your stuff.But i'm going off topic,...my bad.
Did i mention no hub is quiet?You can even have a stoopid person flush the toilet and not hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House