Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 04:35 PM

550 posts, read 2,824,937 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the steps for this? We did get the info. sheet from the city but it is in architect lingo.

We are turning our car port into a room. From what I can gather from the info. we need to draw up a before and after photo (we have a program to do that on) but what else?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 06:05 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
Does anyone know the steps for this? We did get the info. sheet from the city but it is in architect lingo.

We are turning our car port into a room. From what I can gather from the info. we need to draw up a before and after photo (we have a program to do that on) but what else?

Are you doing this yourself? We're converting the top half of our two story foyer into a bedroom, and the contractors we hired drew up the plans, obtained and filled out the permits. All we need to do is sign (which we're doing friday). If you are having someone else do the work, I'd negotiate with them to do it if you don't have the experience. If not, I'd go to your municipal bldg and ask for help - I'm sure they'd be glad to.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default We have no clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post

It will vary widely place to place.

Sounds like they are not very strict and want only a basic idea of what you are going to do. It can be all over the lot, from a word description which is mostly what is used in the small town near me, to a set of professional plans. Some crazy places require a site survey and new plot map for just about anything.

Like stated go to the building dept and ask them to explain exactly what is required. Any inspections, permits, paperwork and details that must be known prior to starting.

Most places you can get what are known as walk in permits for small type projects, maybe like yours. Other projects you must make an application which must be approved, that can lead to a permit, you stick up on the site, then work can begin, usually followed by some type of inspections.

I think you are in Canada, Lord knows how they do it up there. Ask the locals for a dummy guide to getting a permit.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Are you doing this yourself? We're converting the top half of our two story foyer into a bedroom, and the contractors we hired drew up the plans, obtained and filled out the permits. All we need to do is sign (which we're doing friday). If you are having someone else do the work, I'd negotiate with them to do it if you don't have the experience. If not, I'd go to your municipal bldg and ask for help - I'm sure they'd be glad to.
Yes we are building it ourselves. We have a friend who works as a foreman for Vancouver buildings so he is going to walk us through the building process. I would ask him but don't want to make him do everything! I guess I could ask him though.

"I think you are in Canada, Lord knows how they do it up there. Ask the locals for a dummy guide to getting a permit."

Is that a builders expression? Dummy guide?

After reading this it sounds like I should ask my friend for help. I was hoping there would be a list of what to do.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:06 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
I am not certain about the laws in Canada. Generally the city/county requires us to get an architect to at least sign off on the drawings before we can get approval even if it is a simple project.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Wow, that sound complicated. Wouldn't ya know, nothing ever comes easy! I guess I will have to phone the city tomorrow and have them translate the info. sheet they gave me.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:25 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
[quote=skoe;660064]
Is that a builders expression? Dummy guide?

QUOTE]

I think Cosmic is referring to all the "Dummy" books out there "Dummies guide to taxes", "Dummies guide to Computers"..."Dummies guide to obtaining permits", lol. I think no offense meant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House