Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 PM

424 posts, read 2,334,144 times

Advertisements

This is a photo of the view from my kitchen The doorknob you see on the left goes to our spare bathroom, and to the right of the photo is a doorway to an entryway with a coat closet, door to the garage and door to the master bedroom. Needless to say, we walk thru and look at this area a LOT. Not to mention I have 3 kids and use the laundry machine a lot too.

The water heater needs replaced, it is too small and also noisy/weird. The laundry machines also could stand to be replaced, obviously.

We've heard mixed things about tankless water heaters but have been curious about them just for the space issue... could we mount it up higher or put it elsewhere, then use the space the tank is taking up to put a normal washer and dryer set up there side by side? I actually already have machines for this, so the $$ we spend on a tankless set up, we'd save on buying a W/D set

OR.... we replace the water heater with a normal one and enclose it somehow? (need ideas for that) and spend some good $$ on a stackable front loader W/D set.

Water heater is natural gas, btw

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Need some space ideas for laundry and water heater...-img_1592.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 05:50 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,812,870 times
Do you have space to take the wall on the right into the garage or entry space? Open the walll and make the room bigger. A bigger water heater will take more space and leave no room for a stack washer/dryer in the space you have avaiable.. Move the washer/dryer to the garage? It may be cheaper and easier to add a water outlet and drain in the garage. I don't know enough about tankless water heaters, except they are expensive. maybe someone else has the info on the tankless.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Do you have space to take the wall on the right into the garage or entry space? Open the walll and make the room bigger. A bigger water heater will take more space and leave no room for a stack washer/dryer in the space you have avaiable.. Move the washer/dryer to the garage? It may be cheaper and easier to add a water outlet and drain in the garage. I don't know enough about tankless water heaters, except they are expensive. maybe someone else has the info on the tankless.

No, we don't have room for that. Plus there is a cement footing at the base of the wall, probalby hard to move anyway. The entryway is the size of the doors on each end prettymuch.

And the "garage" is actually merely a carport so I can't put the washer and dryer out there. our freezer is already out there because there's no room for it in the house.

Our only other hope is maybe getting a hot-water-heat setup where the boiler would also be the water heater, and putting that in a closet or the attic or something. Not probably cheap or easy, but we don't have a lot to work with here, we need to be creative and purposeful....

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 PM

11,054 posts, read 10,607,948 times
Tankless. Tankless. Tankless.

As you can see, I like the idea of the tankless water heater

Unfortunately, unless it is just because of the angle of the pic, I don't think you'll have enough room for a washer/dryer side by side in that area. Measure it, if it's over 60 inches wall to wall a conventional w/d set should fit. If it's under, they probably won't.

You can set the tankless water heater up higher if the space is wide enough for the w/d, there won't be any problem with it being higher.

As for price, be prepared to pay more for a tankless than you would for a conventional water heater. Quite a bit more... On the plus side, the natural gas used by the tankless is far less than what is used by a conventional trying to keep 40+ gallons at 120 degrees plus.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,573,053 times
Quote:
Tankless. Tankless. Tankless.

As you can see, I like the idea of the tankless water heater

Unfortunately, unless it is just because of the angle of the pic, I don't think you'll have enough room for a washer/dryer side by side in that area. Measure it, if it's over 60 inches wall to wall a conventional w/d set should fit. If it's under, they probably won't.

You can set the tankless water heater up higher if the space is wide enough for the w/d, there won't be any problem with it being higher.

As for price, be prepared to pay more for a tankless than you would for a conventional water heater. Quite a bit more... On the plus side, the natural gas used by the tankless is far less than what is used by a conventional trying to keep 40+ gallons at 120 degrees plus.
I agree. Also the vent pipe on the rear of the w/d should be solid. It should go straight up and then right angle to the hole. I'd probably frame it and install a bi-fold door (sorry for that width its custom).

Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
What I would suggest is that you pour a slab on the outside for a closest to house the water heater and maybe a freezer or other things. then repipe the waterlines to it. Because eventaully your going to have a water problem having the waterheater in the house.I helped a friend build a 4X 8 closet just for that propose on the back of his house and he was gld a few eyars later when he came home and the heater tank had busted and the water had drained onto the concrete slab and out the door onto the ground.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
The space is obviously not 65" or wider. So, side-by-side units aren't going to help.
You can get a larger W/H that will fit the space- they are referred to as "tall units". You can get a 50gal. that has a footprint of about 22". Which is probably about the same size as the current one.
Other things to note- don't store/place items on top of the W/H, especially close to the vent- they could melt or burn. In a conditioned space, like this laundry room- the vent pipe should be completely double wall, and there should be an eschusion at the ceiling. As mentioned above about the dryer vent- yes, it should be solid pipe. The longer the flex hose the more resistance for air flow- the greater the chance for a clogged vent. But try not to use right angles- they add 5 feet to the total run. Try and keep angles less than 45degrees.The overflow for the TPRV (temperture,pressure, relief valve)needs to be routed outside. The new unit should be placed inside a drip pan, and the pan should have a drain line attached and routed outside also. And depending on the local code you maybe required to have an expansion tank- I recommend one regardless. It will extend the life of the supply system.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks everybody, this is all very interesting. Guess I wished I knew all this before I bought the house

the space is 58", but there's a little cement thing at the bottom that knocks it down another couple inches. So maybe I have to buy a new washer/dryer set up after all? Then I probably can't afford the tankless water heater too. Someone told us we can repair our current tank pretty easy, so maybe we'll just do that instead of replacing it. But we still need to make some sort of closet or door to cover it somehow. Plus redo the dryer vent like you're saying.....

Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
The only possible scenario I see is a set of bi-fold doors. You can get a set for a 5' (60") opening- but you'd have to rip a 1/2" off each side of each door to get to 58".
But I don't know if that will work because of the light switch. And why is it behind the door?

The only other option maybe some type of curtain- like light cotton duck with just a pocket on a spring rod.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Well I checked and the regular washer I have is 25.5 inches wide. I can get a dryer that's 27 inches. Won't those fit side by side in there?

K'ledge--- the lightswitch is going to be moved if possible. I don't know why it's behind the door. It's very annoying and we've already had an electrician out to give us an estimate for moving it. I don't know if curtains are allowed near water heaters because of the pilot light. And I'd prefer something more permanent looking anyway. We'll know more tomorrow, when the plumber comes, because....

In case you hadn't seen from my other posts, this issue is now immediate in nature instead of a later project. The water heater died on us this weekend. Set the CO monitor off. It needs something, and since we wanted to replace it anyway (it's 12 years old and sounds like there's rocks in it and doesn't keep up with our water usage), well I guess now we have our chance to do that, a tad sooner than we were ready to. Any input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House