Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 AM

58 posts, read 235,366 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am in the process of putting down some clear vinyl carpet runners over some carpet that I installed. Here is a picture:

Clear Vinyl Runner Mats are Vinyl Runner Mats by American Floor Mats

I take care of an elderly woman and she had a fall on her hardwood floor, so we put down carpet but she is unable to "shuffle" across it the way she did on the hardwood floor. So I decided to put down these vinyl runners but the problem is that they don't cut it any wider than 4 feet, and I really would like to have it 12 feet wide. This means that I will have to lay it 3 times across to get complete coverage. My question is what is the best way to make sure that it stays down at the part where one runner ends and the other begins? I know that it has studs that grip the carpet but I want to be extra sure that there is no chance for her to trip over the part where one ends and the other begins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 10:22 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
The seams sound dangerous to someone who 'shuffles'.

I think I would try to use a heavy duty clear plastic or vinyl tarp before I'd use runners.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I doubt it will be easier to shuffle across the runners over carpet, and multiple seams will create places where she can trip.

You have multiple problems to consider.

Carpeting only protects elderly from hip fractures after falling.

However, elderly who shuffle are more likely to fall when shuffling on carpeting.

You should consider taking out the carpeting and installing a cork floor instead.

Cork flooring is soft enough that it will cushion a fall, but it's flat enough to allow elderly to easily shuffle which will reduce the chances of falling.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:07 AM

I don't think we can do that. She lives in a rental, she does not own her residence.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The seams sound dangerous to someone who 'shuffles'.

I think I would try to use a heavy duty clear plastic or vinyl tarp before I'd use runners.
Would you mind posting a link to the exact products you are talking about? I came across this but this does not seem like it is made for floors:

Clear Tarps - Clear Poly Tarp

Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelSmoothie View Post
I don't think we can do that. She lives in a rental, she does not own her residence.
You should check into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelSmoothie View Post
Would you mind posting a link to the exact products you are talking about? I came across this but this does not seem like it is made for floors:

Clear Tarps - Clear Poly Tarp
It doesn't need to be made for floors. But I would buy something thick like clear upholstery plastic, not that poly tarp you found.

You just need a heavy duty plastic that is wide enough to cover the entire area. Piecing together runners will be a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM

What you need is plastic sheeting.

Plastic Sheeting Supply - Plastic Sheeting Supply

The mil will determine thickness and durability. The higher the mil number, the thicker the sheeting.

Roll widths range from 3 feet to 100 feet wide in certain thicknesses.

For example, 6 mil comes in 40' x 100' sheets.

http://www.plasticsheetingsupply.com...r-c-36_42.html

If I were you, I would buy a sheet large enough to do the entire room.

And I would hire a carpet installer to install it over the carpeting so it's professionally pulled flat and taunt just like carpeting is installed.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 AM

Excellent! So what you are saying is that this plastic might be smooth enough to shuffle but not too smooth and slick to cause a fall, correct?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Hope beat me to it, but the first thing that popped into my head was a very heavy-duty painter's tarp.

Or something like that :-)

Old 02-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks. So how often would I have to replace this? Is this plastic sheeting built to withstand walking? I guess when I think plastic, I think rips and tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House