Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,691,020 times

Advertisements

I rarely drink it but managed to spill a half bottle onto a white carpet last night.
I used a odor and stain removal product that i had around ... got it at the health food store some time ago.
It doesn't work.
This is a rental (otherwise i wouldn't care as much).
It doesn't seem to be staining too badly but i want to get rid of that spilled beer smell that will turn into the spilled stale beer smell.
Any non-toxic "remedies" to remove the odor?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM

93 posts, read 224,962 times
Add a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar and about a tablespoon of dish washing liquid to a couple of cups of warm water. I would use a white towel or old white t-shirt and dip it in the solution and then dab in into the stain. Then blot it up with a dry towel/t-shirt. I would then blot it with some plain water to make sure all of the soap was out of it and blot it dry again. Remember to blot, don't rub!

The vinegar should get rid of the beer smell and the vinegar smell will dissipate in a few days. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:47 PM

681 posts, read 2,349,049 times
Rent a carpet shampooer like Rug Doctor. They have them at Lowes, Home Depot, most grocery stores, etc. Cleaning by extraction is much more effective than spraying on chemicals and blotting the excess moisture away.

We own a Bissell Little Green and it gets out pretty much everything! Most of our house is hardwood....but Murphy's Law means that the cat decides to vomit on our area rugs. A little Formula 409, some hot water and suction and the evidence is gone.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post
Add a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar and about a tablespoon of dish washing liquid to a couple of cups of warm water. I would use a white towel or old white t-shirt and dip it in the solution and then dab in into the stain. Then blot it up with a dry towel/t-shirt. I would then blot it with some plain water to make sure all of the soap was out of it and blot it dry again. Remember to blot, don't rub!

The vinegar should get rid of the beer smell and the vinegar smell will dissipate in a few days. Good luck!
That sounds good.
I left home today before reading replies so i just picked up a box of baking soda and though may help?
If not, i'll use your method although i'm someone who loathes the smell of vinegar but if it really dissipates in a few days, i guess i can take it.
Thank you.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
Rent a carpet shampooer like Rug Doctor. They have them at Lowes, Home Depot, most grocery stores, etc. Cleaning by extraction is much more effective than spraying on chemicals and blotting the excess moisture away.

We own a Bissell Little Green and it gets out pretty much everything! Most of our house is hardwood....but Murphy's Law means that the cat decides to vomit on our area rugs. A little Formula 409, some hot water and suction and the evidence is gone.
That sounds good too.
I was trying to find a way to do it that wouldn't cost me much at all.
Also, the carpet in the place is already trashed (by their son who i'm subletting from) so they'll probably need to replace it anyway.
I just wanted to get rid of that beer smell.
Thank you.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,999,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I rarely drink it but managed to spill a half bottle onto a white carpet last night.
I used a odor and stain removal product that i had around ... got it at the health food store some time ago.
It doesn't work.
This is a rental (otherwise i wouldn't care as much).
It doesn't seem to be staining too badly but i want to get rid of that spilled beer smell that will turn into the spilled stale beer smell.
Any non-toxic "remedies" to remove the odor?
Thank you.
Mop it up as well as you can and shake some baking soda on it. It will absorb the remainder and kill the smell.

I wish I had a nickel for every beer I've spilled on the carpet. (I am pretty clumsy). LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM

23,510 posts, read 69,899,087 times
Vinegar is acid and can damage some carpet fibers. If you use that, it should be real dilute, and maybe followed up with a chaser of baking soda the next day. It can do well on a lot of smells though.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Mop it up as well as you can and shake some baking soda on it. It will absorb the remainder and kill the smell.

I wish I had a nickel for every beer I've spilled on the carpet. (I am pretty clumsy). LOL

20yrsinBranson
i did that last night but it still smells.
maybe i need to vaccuum it up and put down some more.
thank you.
and thanks chickpea .... i was concerned about the vinegar because the smell of it is almost intolerable to me and this carpet, though it isn't new and has some previous stains, is an expensive natural fiber one and i don't want to add to the stains / discoloring.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,814,091 times
Spilling a half bottle of beer is alchohol abuse. You need to go into therapy before cleaning it up. If it had been me, I would have thrown myself onto the carpet and sucked it out while it was still wet.
Since that didn't happen, extraction is the best way to get the residue out and the smell with it.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,009,882 times
Baking soda and lots of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House