U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 AM

4 posts, read 15,359 times

Advertisements

I have an older apartment building (built in 1910) that I remodeled and installed 8 ft electric baseboards in each 13'x13' room.

Here it gets very cold in the winters, last winter it was 9 degrees. I have applied for weatherization, but am still waiting on that to happen.

So..... my question is will the 2000 watts per room be enough to keep my tenants happy (at least until they get their electric bill), or do I need to keep a couple of space heaters on hand just in case??
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 03:27 AM

2,178 posts, read 7,799,309 times
When you heat a metal element with electricity enough to produce heat, the little wheel on the electric meter goes zoom, zoom, zoom.
They might keep the rooms warm. But I sure wouldn't want to pay the bill. And in an old building the insulation might not be the best. Hope for a mild winter.
I have gas heat but I use the oil filled electric radiator type heaters to supplement heating certain rooms to save on the gas bill. The oil filled ones are probably the safest and most efficient to use as space heaters. The oil stays warm even when the heaters electric heat cycle isn't on.
I've used them for years and been happy with how well they heat for the money it costs to operate them.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:29 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,777,332 times
As you know when doing your research, a rule of thumb, assume the heater to be sized at 10 watts per square foot of room being heated.

So a 13x13 room is 169 sq ft. @10 watts per...that is 1690 watts you need per room. So as far as watts are concerned- you are good to go.

If you find the room to still be cooler, ensure proper placement of your thermostat.

But then take a look at how many windows you have in the room....two/three? You could get smaller heaters and break up the 1690 by that many heaters. The electric use will be the same but heating will be more even.

I have just under 800 sq ft home w/ 2 bedrooms....I'm splitting one bedroom and living room into two heaters each. But one bedroom only has one window and the kitchen only has one window that has free space under it.

Do you know what the difference between hydronic baseboards and standard is? Lowes sells these oil filled (no water connection needed) but they are 6-7x more expensive.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,285,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Do you know what the difference between hydronic baseboards and standard is? Lowes sells these oil filled (no water connection needed) but they are 6-7x more expensive.
The difference is you get a more even heat. They will heat up slower and dissipate slower. It's much better sytem when used with boiler because you already have the heat stored in the boiler, just a matter of pumping it to the area so you get the benefit of instant on as you do with electric and the slow dissipation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
The oil filled ones are probably the safest and most efficient.
They aren't more efficient, electric heat whether the element is heating a liquid or directly heating the air is 100% efficient, you put X amount of electricity in and you get X amount of heat out of them. The difference as you have suggested is instead of lot of immediate heat that almost immediately goes off you have some heat stored in the liquid that will continue to heat the room. It also take longer to warm it up.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:57 PM

13,391 posts, read 42,724,996 times
What's your electric rate? If you are in, say, Idaho, you are probably OK, although I would not over-charge these guys for rent, the electric bills will be high. If you are in the Northeast somewhere, I have my doubts.

I'm assuming your electric system has been modernized and upgraded. Keep in mind that probably all the heaters will be on simultaneously and probably 80-90% duty cycle in the coldest part of winter, is the system rated for that?

Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 PM

3,728 posts, read 8,505,039 times
Electric heat is very expensive. I have family in New England and they pay over $500/month just to heat a living room, kitchen, and 1 bedroom in their house.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,777,332 times
OUCH! Ansky, when our heating oil got up to 400 dollars monthly just for a small home like that...I moved. Couldn't afford it.

In my part of NC, I pay 120 monthly during winter for 4 plug in heaters going constantly....the oil filled radiator kind.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 PM

13,391 posts, read 42,724,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Electric heat is very expensive. I have family in New England and they pay over $500/month just to heat a living room, kitchen, and 1 bedroom in their house.
Well, electric rates are high in New England. Around here in Eastern WA, they are pretty reasonable. Likewise Idaho, anywhere there is a good bit of hydropower generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or