Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 AM

4 posts, read 26,782 times

Advertisements

today i just replaced the main bowl(drum) bearings in an electrolux ewf1087 electonic front loader. it took a few hours and 25 aussie dollars
( it cost me a $1000 3 years ago)

i phoned the electrolux parts dealer and he said it was a 600-700 dollar job and best go buy a new washer. he quoted 200 bucks for the bearing and seal.

i took the broken bearings in to my local bearing shop and bought completely sealed replacment bearings and a seal for 25 dollars. much beter quality than factory items

this is a far cry from buying a new washing machine every 3-4 years.

most of us are waterwise and care for the enviroment and have converted to a front loader but to the enviroments peril.

what cost on the enviroment to manufacture new washing machine for every house hold every 3-4 years when our old top loader lasted a dozen years or more.

so if your toploader starts howling and it will only in a mater of time.
give it ago . replace the bearings yourself and smile knowing you saved the enviroment and a blood big hole in your wallet.

remeber when it howls make sure you replace the bearings cause if you ignore it the bowl(drum) chews out the water tight enclosure and you will have to buy a new washer.

electrolux pick up your act and use fully sealed bearings not open case ones like you do. the diffence in cost on the two types of bearings is 2 bloody dollars but i gues you wouldnt sell so many washing machines then would you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Our fridgedare front loader is about ten years and going strong. We replaced the door latch once for about ten bucks

Old 10-02-2009, 08:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I'd have to know how to find the bearings and how to get them out. Then I'd have to learn how to put them back into the machine. Is there a book on that one?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
My old maytag was bought in 1990 and still works fine. A repair man told me those older maytags were the best and to keep it as long as possible because he really could tell me what was the best now days.Mother in law has same that is over 25 years old.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 AM

2 posts, read 25,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroluxedout View Post
today i just replaced the main bowl(drum) bearings in an electrolux ewf1087 electonic front loader. it took a few hours and 25 aussie dollars
( it cost me a $1000 3 years ago)

i phoned the electrolux parts dealer and he said it was a 600-700 dollar job and best go buy a new washer. he quoted 200 bucks for the bearing and seal.

i took the broken bearings in to my local bearing shop and bought completely sealed replacment bearings and a seal for 25 dollars. much beter quality than factory items
I too have an electrolux EWF1087 with noisy spin cycle. Just paid their repair man $95 for him to tell me it needs new bearings at a further $300, which includes 2.5hrs labour and the required parts.
This site has the parts diagrams and the parts but would be cheaper from the bearing shop
BigWarehouse ELECTROLUX WASHING MACHINES EWF1087 Spare Parts, Electronics Parts Supplier

Old 05-23-2010, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 13,112 times
Default bearing replace

Hello
I have the same problem and would appreciate any advice to replace this bearing. any chance you post some instructions on where I start.
Do I have to take the back flywheel off first? Do I have to take both the spin barrell and the outer sheel barrell out of machine completely to replace the bearing. Any advice greatly appreciated

Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 12,995 times
hey, i also have to replace the bearings on mine. How the hell did you get the back screw off of the wheel, and where did you find a bearing shop?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 12,787 times
Just replaced bearings in EWF1087, and found it not too difficult, but it's def. a 2 person job. Be sure to take photos at each stage & use a marker to identify where things connect/attach You need to fully remove outer drum, including inner drum. Firstly, remove belt from motor. Remove all electrical connections to drum & motor. Remove seal from front of machine. Disengage shock absorbers. Support outer drum with blocks, & lever up ( not on motor ) to remove support springs. Remove drum assy from chassis. Holding inner drum, use 6mm Allen key to undo screw holding spider & remove spider. You should now be able to easily remove inner drum. Remove seal & carefully drive or pull out inner & outer bearings. Reassembly is simply the reverse of disassembly. Be very careful however when installing inner drum to not damage seal. I applied some water repellant grease to lip of seal and shaft to achieve this.

total cost of bearings and seal approx $70.
total time approx 3 Hr

Old 08-07-2011, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 25,442 times
I ended up having the repair guy fix mine. For $395 they took it back to their work shop, replaced the bearings and spider arm and dropped it back off.
We had to re-level it on the laundry floor.
Don't use the higher spin cycles (above 500) unless you have it absolutely level.
Don't overload the machine - main cause for bearing failure in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House