U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 PM
 
Location: US
65 posts, read 158,775 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have recently begun receiving bids for a new roof. I have gone through this in two other houses over the last ten years, and each time I received several bids with wide ranges in the price. I chose whichever one I felt best about, and both times I had received insurance claim money to pay for it. This of course means that I ended up with some money left over for me, as it worked out.

This time however the roofing contractors are bidding me by insurance companies price payout sheets. I.E. they know what State Farm will comp me for 30 year shingles, so they are quoting me what they know the major insurers comp for. So for instance today I got quoted $3600 for shingles (just the shingles) and I know that I can buy them myself for $1500 from Lowes! They are literally just trying to milk me for 2 grand because they know how much ins. companies comp. Every time I talk to a roofer now they say "do you have a claim" and they want to see it. Basically they want to quote me exactly what the ins. company gave me. I booted two guys out of my house yesterday, I was so tired of this new practice.

Two years ago (about 60 miles away) I had a 2900 square foot ranch house roofed for $4500. Today I am getting quotes to roof a house with only 1500 square feet upstairs (the part with a roof) at $8000. Seriously. Talk about mark-up!

So does anybody have ideas on how to get my roof put on by an ethical person who won't try to rip me off? I would do it myself but I am afraid of heights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
 
3,583 posts, read 9,575,865 times
Reputation: 5066
Easiest way I can think of is to have them quote "labor only" and you buy the materials. Personally, I wouldn't show them anything from my insurance company. It is none of their business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Pocono Mts.
9,483 posts, read 10,317,956 times
Reputation: 11351
that is what I was going to suggest, you buy the material, get a labor only quote.


The highest roof cost to one of our clients for a re-roof was $6,800. (about 1500sf) But we were not just replacing shingles, as her roof was done wrong to begin with, & had leakers everywhere and 0 ventilation...so we had to rip off shingles, cut out sheathing & rafters, replace the rafters and sheathing, add a full coverage of ice & water shield and then re-shingle with architectural shingles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Knoxville
4,039 posts, read 18,270,187 times
Reputation: 4538
I looked at this two ways.
1. It's none of their business if you have a claim, and they don't need to see it. I guess that is UNLESS, they are directly paid by the insurance company, then maybe they do.

and
2. Your insurance coverage is to replace your roof. It's not designed to give you a little extra cash.

I guess I would ask for quotes from roofers and tell them that you are not claiming it on your insurance because you don't want your premiums to go up, or get cancelled. Then go with the best value for your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 AM
 
24,852 posts, read 29,209,402 times
Reputation: 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buona sera View Post
Hello everyone. I have recently begun receiving bids for a new roof. I have gone through this in two other houses over the last ten years, and each time I received several bids with wide ranges in the price. I chose whichever one I felt best about, and both times I had received insurance claim money to pay for it. This of course means that I ended up with some money left over for me, as it worked out.

This time however the roofing contractors are bidding me by insurance companies price payout sheets. I.E. they know what State Farm will comp me for 30 year shingles, so they are quoting me what they know the major insurers comp for. So for instance today I got quoted $3600 for shingles (just the shingles) and I know that I can buy them myself for $1500 from Lowes! They are literally just trying to milk me for 2 grand because they know how much ins. companies comp. Every time I talk to a roofer now they say "do you have a claim" and they want to see it. Basically they want to quote me exactly what the ins. company gave me. I booted two guys out of my house yesterday, I was so tired of this new practice.

Two years ago (about 60 miles away) I had a 2900 square foot ranch house roofed for $4500. Today I am getting quotes to roof a house with only 1500 square feet upstairs (the part with a roof) at $8000. Seriously. Talk about mark-up!

So does anybody have ideas on how to get my roof put on by an ethical person who won't try to rip me off? I would do it myself but I am afraid of heights!
There is good chance the insurance company will 1099 them. They have to cover the tax. It is part of the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 41,710,515 times
Reputation: 10254
I see things differently then others. What I see is a homeowner who needs 4 roofing insurance claims in 10 years as suspicious. What are you doing that you need all these roofs in Denver?

Lets just say you are ligit. Do you have a problem with contractors making a profit or is it just that by your own admit that you wish for them to make less so you can make some too.

If the shingles cost $1500 and they want to charge you $3500, I do not see that as out of line. Maybe on the high side in the middle of this economic depression but not stupid high. If you think it's too much then call others. Those who are more hungry for work will bid less and less. If the shingles cost $1500 I think you are looking for some one to charge $1600 total so you can pocket the rest. When you find some one to work that cheap then just know that your neighbors will call the Immigration Authorities on you.

I am no fan of insurance companies. I know first hand while working with them in the Hurricane IKE aftermath. But I hate human greed even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: US
65 posts, read 158,775 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I looked at this two ways.

2. Your insurance coverage is to replace your roof. It's not designed to give you a little extra cash.
Yes but if get bids that leave extra money, shouldn't I be the one who gets it? That's what I am saying, it seems like now the roofers think they should get that leftover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Location: US
65 posts, read 158,775 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I see things differently then others. What I see is a homeowner who needs 4 roofing insurance claims in 10 years as suspicious. What are you doing that you need all these roofs in Denver?

Lets just say you are ligit. Do you have a problem with contractors making a profit or is it just that by your own admit that you wish for them to make less so you can make some too.

If the shingles cost $1500 and they want to charge you $3500, I do not see that as out of line. Maybe on the high side in the middle of this economic depression but not stupid high. If you think it's too much then call others. Those who are more hungry for work will bid less and less. If the shingles cost $1500 I think you are looking for some one to charge $1600 total so you can pocket the rest. When you find some one to work that cheap then just know that your neighbors will call the Immigration Authorities on you.

I am no fan of insurance companies. I know first hand while working with them in the Hurricane IKE aftermath. But I hate human greed even more.
OMG. Denver has more hail than anywhere, there is nothing suspicious about. Judging from the other posts I have read of yours I will not respond to any more from you, you just live to be rude. Bye.

And learn how to count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 10:10 AM
 
24,852 posts, read 29,209,402 times
Reputation: 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buona sera View Post
Yes but if get bids that leave extra money, shouldn't I be the one who gets it? That's what I am saying, it seems like now the roofers think they should get that leftover.
I do a lot of insurance work. I cover the deductible for the home owner. It is a win/win for the insured and myself. I do all the dealing with the insurance company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 AM
 
1,492 posts, read 6,478,864 times
Reputation: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buona sera View Post
Hello everyone. I have recently begun receiving bids for a new roof. I have gone through this in two other houses over the last ten years, and each time I received several bids with wide ranges in the price. I chose whichever one I felt best about, and both times I had received insurance claim money to pay for it. This of course means that I ended up with some money left over for me, as it worked out.

This time however the roofing contractors are bidding me by insurance companies price payout sheets. I.E. they know what State Farm will comp me for 30 year shingles, so they are quoting me what they know the major insurers comp for. So for instance today I got quoted $3600 for shingles (just the shingles) and I know that I can buy them myself for $1500 from Lowes! They are literally just trying to milk me for 2 grand because they know how much ins. companies comp. Every time I talk to a roofer now they say "do you have a claim" and they want to see it. Basically they want to quote me exactly what the ins. company gave me. I booted two guys out of my house yesterday, I was so tired of this new practice.

Two years ago (about 60 miles away) I had a 2900 square foot ranch house roofed for $4500. Today I am getting quotes to roof a house with only 1500 square feet upstairs (the part with a roof) at $8000. Seriously. Talk about mark-up!

So does anybody have ideas on how to get my roof put on by an ethical person who won't try to rip me off? I would do it myself but I am afraid of heights!
That must be what has happened to me! I need a new roof for my 700 sq ft home and quotes I've received are like yours! 700 sq ft for $3200 labor...says it will take him a minimum of 80 hours. That's 2 full workweeks!

I went to lowes, have researched how to do it....am doing it myself! (along with a contractor from church who will assist me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top