Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:44 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times

Advertisements

empty luggage when not in use? basement storage area
- camera and video recording equipment? all closet
- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else? kitchen above the microwave in the cabnets
- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? either on the platter on the kitchen counter or on the hooks where our keys go in the mud room
- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? cedar chest in master / basement in storage
- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc? na
- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc? stored away in containers for easy access in basement storage area
- constant mail/paper that comes into the house? trash all that i can the minute it comes in - file the rest and put TO DO items in platter on counter
- important documents (passports, deeds etc) file cab in office
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc) garage - we built loft storage in our 3 car so we have room for the cars and everything else!
- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room - in the office / gym area
- anything else that comes to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
- empty luggage when not in use? on shelving in the garage
- camera and video recording equipment? cabinets over the built in desk in my kitchen
- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else? things I use daily are in a small side cabinet next to my kitchen sink, others are in a box on the top shelf of my linen closet
- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? cabinets over the built in desk in my kitchen
- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? upper shelves of my clothes closet
- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc? N/A
- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc? gift wrap is under my bed, others are in cabinets in the laundry room and garage.
- constant mail/paper that comes into the house? straight from my mail box to the trash can
- important documents (passports, deeds etc) a fireproof save on the floor of my clothes closet
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc) storage shelves in the garage
- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym the garage
- anything else that comes to mind? when I remodeled my kitchen/family/laundry room I had 2 wall of built in storage and bookshelves installed. I highly recommend it.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
We live in a house with a basement now, which is WONDERFUL and solves most of our storage problems right now. It's unfinished and has deep wooden shelves in the corner, which is where we store the luggage, camping equipment, and seasonal decorations. My mother and grandmother, who live in California with no basements, are jealous.

We rented a large house in California before we moved, and most of our stuff was stored in the bonus room and in the rafters of the garage.

Here are some places we keep or kept things other than a basement, attic, walk-in-closet, or spare room:

- empty luggage when not in use? under the bed, filled with bulky seasonal clothes (coats, sweaters, boots), although you will probably need box spring risers
- camera and video recording equipment? in camera bags on top of my husband's computer hutch, with accessories in a lidded box ($3 at Joann)
- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else? top shelf of kitch cabinet or in master bath cabinet, depending on what it was
- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? on a small desk near the front door, with one of those one one-drawer organizers that keeps all the plugs neat. The desk has two drawers where we keep plain envelopes, a bunch of stamps, some pens, and all the takeout menus
- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? in lidded containers on a shelf in my closet, one for each of us (husband too)
- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc? the guitar and amp are in the corner of the family room, the camera tripod is above the computer hutch with the other equipment, no drums
- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc? wrapping paper and supplies were in a tall, lidded container in the hall closet (now they're in the basement). The lid is also a container that holds ribbons and bows. I make jewelry, and all my supplies are very neatly organized into two totes from Joann (so neatly organized that I am afraid to start beading again and mess them up!). My husband promises to build me a big worktable someday, and it will be in the basement or one of the bedroom after one of the kids leaves. Sewing supplies are in a lidded box on a bookshelf
- constant mail/paper that comes into the house? unfortunately, my computer monitor broke and I have been using my husband's desk, so my desk has become swamped with this clutter ... my Achilles heel
- important documents (passports, deeds etc) in a locked filing cabinet (we had a hidden wall safe in the old house)
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc) in the basement, formerly in the garage rafters (and we have a lot of stuff). We have a trailer (the kind you tow, not the kind you live in), and ultimately, we'd like to have the camping equipment neatly organized and stored in large bins on the trailer so we can hitch up and go with very little prep, but we will have to bump out the garage to make permanent space, and that's not happening soon
- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room we didn't have any before this house because there was nowhere to put it, now it's in the basement
- anything else that comes to mind? you can gain a lot of storage space underneath beds and even sofas, with the right kind of bins (I'm kind of a **** for bins): extra purses, shoes, little-used linens, Christmas lights and ornaments ... [/quote]

Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc) in the basement, formerly in the garage rafters (and we have a lot of stuff). We have a trailer (the kind you tow, not the kind you live in), and ultimately, we'd like to have the camping equipment neatly organized and stored in large bins on the trailer so we can hitch up and go with very little prep, but we will have to bump out the garage to make permanent space, and that's not happening soon
[/quote]

We were set up like this for a while. It was great. We could decide on Friday to go camping for hte weekend buy some food and Ice and go.

We encountered three problems:

1. Be sure that you replenish any supplies immediately when you get home from a trip. Otherwise you will forget and discover that you forgot to buy a lighter, get some more stove gas, or add some firewood to your trailer when you get to the campgrounds - oops.

2. Remember to remove all food items. Be really careful about this. You can find some really gross bugs and mold otherwise.

3. Check the trialer over before you go. We tended to just hook up and go without looking at it. It was stored in our driveway. One time some vandals has loosened the lug nuts ont he wheel. IN Los Angles rush hour traffic moving at 55 mph (a rare thing to do in rush hour traffic) we were taken by surprise when the wheel of our trailer went bouncing past us, bounced all over the freeway and came to reast five lanes away in the car pool lane that was five crammed packed lanes of traffic away. amazingly the tire did nto hit any cars and when a police woman picked up the tire for us, we were able to pull two lugs from the other side and go on our way.

Another time we did not realize that the trailer lights had been smashed by a tree on the way home from the last trip and we got a ticket.

The lesson. Check everything out carefully before you go.

One other thing. Do not buy a gian ice chest that will hold all of your food. WIth ice and food in it, it is too heavy. Just get two normal sized large ice chests. Also put the ice chests at the back of the trailer near the door so that you can get to them to fill them as you are leaving.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I always sort the mail as soon as I walk in the house, standing over the recycle bin. I get most of our bills through the computer now, so most of it's junk or personal mail. Bills that do have to be kept go straight in a desk drawer. Once they're paid (always online via bill pay) I toss them into the ashcan next to the fireplace... we don't shred, we burn.

I'm a big sewing/crafting person. I have shelves with matching, labeled, plastic shoeboxes on them to hold some of it, more is in a large scrapbooking cabinet along with our 25+ board games, and even more is in abeautiful antique dresser I bought on CL for $40. I have another large dresser I bought at a yard sale for $5 that contains craft stuff too. I mounted a tool/screw organizer on the wall above my sewing machine table to hold all the little stuff... needles, seam rippers, buttons, magnets, velcro, pins, etc. The top drawer of that dresser holds wrapping and tissue paper, ribbons, greeting cards, tape, scissors, etc.

We haven't flown in years (we take roadtrips instead) so we just have a couple overnight bags, stored within each other (I pack in laundry baskets and canvas grocery bags when we travel) up high in the closet.

Seasonal clothing is in plastic under the bed storage boxes. Baby things and kids stuff I can't bear to part with is in clear plastic storage boxes on high closet shelves.

Medicines are in clear plastic storage boxes under the master bathroom sink. Stuff we use most often (aspirin, vitamins) are on top of the frig.

Important documents are in a firesafe box under my desk.

Cell phone chargers on plugged into the same power strip as the computer. Camera is in the bag, in a desk drawer. Videos/equipment are stored inside the entertainment center.

My dh & I have "mini dressers" rather than nightstands for our underclothes. We use white wire drawers in our closet for shorts & PJs and hang everything else on hangers. Our kids each have a large dresser thoughin their rooms. I bought a German shrunk from CL for $15 (beautiful!) for their jackets, shoes, backpacks, etc. We keep it by the front door. It has drawers for their hats, mittens, etc.

Other than our bikes, the only other exercise equipment we have are hand weights. Those are in a small wooden trunk in the family room that I bought from Michaels and finished to match our other furniture.

I bought two matching wooden cabinets that flank the fireplace. One holds all my GS supplies and the other we use as a linen closet, as this house doesn't have one.

Things I would have to kill my children if they broke are stored in boxes up high in my closet. When they are old enough to understand how much my great grandmother's things mean to me, they will be displayed on the fireplace mantel.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Thanks for the tips, Coldjensen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I always sort the mail as soon as I walk in the house, standing over the recycle bin. I get most of our bills through the computer now, so most of it's junk or personal mail. Bills that do have to be kept go straight in a desk drawer. Once they're paid (always online via bill pay) I toss them into the ashcan next to the fireplace... we don't shred, we burn.
This is great advice, sskkc. I shred everything that has our name and address on it, and we do get a lot of junk mail. We don't take a newspaper, so other than the little city paper that shows up from time to time, we don't have a lot of firestarting paper. Most of the weekly circular stuff has a waxy coating, so we don't burn that. Keeping a stash of paper junk mail is a good idea. Thanks!

Last edited by JustJulia; 10-16-2009 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 694 times
Leather things should be kept very carefully because they can easily be damaged.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
There is no "ideal place. It will depend on your preferences and configuration of your house. For us:

- empty luggage when not in use? 1. Attic. 2. Basement closet. 3. Top shelf of master bedroom closet. 4. Corner of guest bedroom closet. 5. On the bedroom floor of whatever kid most recently used the luggage.

- camera and video recording equipment? A big drawer in the closet under the stairs. We never bother using it anymroe, cell phones have replaced all of that.

- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else? Medicine cabinets in each bathroom. Upper shelf in a kitchen cabinet. One of the toolboxes or hidden compartments in my truck.

- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? Phones are generally charged next to their owner's bed. We have a charging are in the kitchen for other items. Each person has a place for their wallet r purse in their room, except my wife just leaves everything in her car.

- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? 1. Trash can. 2.Drawer in the closet under the stairs (above the out of date cameras and video equipment). 3. Bottom drawers of the desk. 4. various shelves mantels, etc.

- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc?
I wish we could come up with a good place to store my sons trumpet's and mutes. Right now it is wherever he last played them or on the mudroom floor where i will trip over them when I run to the bathroom in desperation while sick. Photography equipment - already covered where the cell phones go. My atlatl darts and throwers go in a corner of the mudroom or in the garage. Throwing axes have a pace on the top shelf of the mudroom closet. My daughter's knitting stuff is usually strewn from one end of the house to the other. My sons collection of car parts form his victories and defeats with various cars are on display on the built in cabinet outside his room (much to my chagrin A cylinder head from a Chevy LT is not a pretty decoration). Same son's rowing medals are on display all over his walls, around the upstairs hallway, laying all over the place. Our hose looks like a medal factory exploded inside. Why do they have so many medals anyway? I tired to get him to ditch all the ones except national and state championship medals and the few form international competitions and trash the rest, so far I have not been sufficiently persuasive.

- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc?
Wrapping paper is in the attic with the Christmas stuff. We just use Christmas paper for everyhitng (birthdays, weddings, graduations etc. We think it is a waster of money and space, and having to keep differnt types on hand is a super waste of moeny. Sometimes we just use newspaper. Sewing and craft junk is pretty much one of the daughter's it is either in the game room int he basement or strewn all over the house, as mentioned. Sometimes I get fed up and toss it all out onto the front lawn. Then she puts it in a trunk int he basement where it is supposed to go.

- constant mail/paper that comes into the house? Straight into the trash.

- important documents (passports, deeds etc)
Desk or safe. depends on how important.

- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc)
We have a storage area under the stairs to the upper part of the carriage house for most of that. coolers for now, go into the entry room to the carraige house. Not sure whay you call it. It is a little room that you enter to go upstairs. When we finish that room we will have to relocate the coolers. Hopefully we will have fewer of them by then.

- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room
Some of it is no the game room in the basement. Weights are in a former bedroom of a daughter who moved away. Rowing machine moves around between the parlors and sometimes in the game room in the basement, sometimes it is out on the porch. He uses it several times a day, and likes to put it in different places.

- anything else that comes to mind?

Kitty litter boxes have been a big problem for us. For a time, some unnamed woman insisted we have one or more on each floor so Kitty did not have to walk too far. For a long time, one sat in the main floor bathroom shower. We rarely used the shower. Now our shower cannot be used, so we moved kitty's box to the mudroom, but if we leave the door open, she will go in and poop in the shower on the floor. Kitty is really old but refuses to die, so this is an ongoing problem that will only be resolved by death.

Dog food storage has been another problem. Some of it is stored in a bin under the kitchen sink. Sometimes a bag turns up in the pantry. Sometimes it ends up under the table in the kitchen nook. A couple of times it has been left out on the back porch for me to carry in because it is heavy and then was re-distributed around the yard by coyotes and raccoons.

Towels have been a storage issue as well. I think we used to have over 100 of them. There is a huge linen closet just outside the basement bathroom where we woudl stockpile them. Then each of the other three bathrooms woudl hold a dozen or so. At any given time, a number of them would be on the floor of a bathroom or bedroom, in the dirty clothes bins, laying out by the pool, anywhere in the back yard, in someone's car, in the dogs room, hanging from a tree . . ..

Sheets and bedding were also a storage issue. We finally put some large plastic shelves in the laundry room and filled them with sheets, blankets, mattress covers, sleeping bags comforters and the like. We had 9 mattresses, plus bedding for another 5 airbeds. When the kids were all home we frequently had a lot of guests, plus we went camping often.

Dirty clothes were another storage issue. As were summer/winter clothes. At an auction we bought two huger rolling bins made of heavy canvass. One of them holds off season clothing while the other is for dirty clothing. They reside in the laundry room.

Ferret cage. We no longer have ferrets, why are we keeping this stupid cage I have no idea but there is no good place to put it.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 07-16-2018 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-17-2018, 03:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan08 View Post
I wanted to start a thread to get an idea list from people who are planning homes or living in homes where they have thought of great storage solutions. Most homes have closets - and we all know where things like dishes or clothes go. But where is the best place to store these items - where do you store them now, and where WOULD you store them, in an ideal home if you were planning a home from scratch with all these things taken into account, to avoid clutter and have a great place for all these?

And where would you store these if you do NOT have an option to have a basement?

Where is the "ideal" place to store....
- empty luggage when not in use?--bedroom closet

- camera and video recording equipment?--it gets stored in a drawer in the for two primary reasons. First, when I go out to festivals, I have had problems of finding it all so I am trying to get centralized. Secondly, given the nature of the ranch, binoculars are kept near windows of observation and the camera with its telephoto lens is kept in a ready location.

- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids).
Quote:
Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else?
Well, there are no kids at my place but I will get to that in a moment. In my bathroom, there is a drawer of bandages and first aid kits. Secondly, there is probably a knapsack of them in a storage closet or in a car. If kids were a concern, then said primary location would be in the arms vault.

- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? I have two cell phones, a smart and a Razor. The Razor goes to its charge point. The Smart goes around the house as needed but eventually goes to its charge point to serve as my alarm clock.

- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? EVERYWHERE

- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc? Drums go into the costume closet, along with my belly dancing affairs. Photography as already covered.

- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc?-costume closed in the dance room.

- constant mail/paper that comes into the house?-into a box to be recycled or into the box to be used for kitty litter.

- important documents (passports, deeds etc)-file cabinets, vaults

- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc)-garage

- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room-dance room

- anything else that comes to mind?-the F-250's bed often serves to store things until the F-250 needs to leave the garage. Then those items in the bed takes its place in the garage.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan08 View Post
- camera and video recording equipment?

This should be in a closet along with the media it recorded to. You do not want to expose it to abnormal cold/heat /humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House