Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan08 View Post
- empty luggage when not in use? Closet
- camera and video recording equipment? Closet
- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else? Bathroom
- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? Backpack that I take with me to work every day
- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? Closet
- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc? Closet
- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc? Closet
- constant mail/paper that comes into the house? Trash can
- important documents (passports, deeds etc) Fireproof box in the closet
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc) Garage
- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room Closet
- anything else that comes to mind? Closet
My answers in orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
- empty luggage when not in use?
We're on-bag travelers (soft sided carry-on), they sit on a shelf in a closet, but I've hung them from hooks in a closet in the past. Been a couple decades since we had more than fancy backpacks.

- camera and video recording equipment?
I have a shelf/bookcase in my "guest" room that holds all electronics, cameras, lenses, batter chargers, wireless router, modem, soldering iron, wire, etc... also has documents (owners manuals), printer and spare paper, envelopes, stapler, etc.

- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else?
No kids, most medicine is in a bathroom in-wall cabinet. Ice packs in freezer, we also have a TENS unit and ultrasound machine, they live on the shelf described above.

- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go?
In a bowl next to the door. Cell-phones are unused inside the house (guests too, house rules).

- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years?
All of that is decoration, so all over the house.

- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc?
Depends on the hobby and importance. I don't have any hobbies with large indoor stuff. Well, I guess my homebrew beer, I have a kegerator in the kitchen.

- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc?
All decorations are under my bed. Sewing is in the bedroom that's used for exercise and crafts, which is also the room we enter/leave through.

- constant mail/paper that comes into the house?
I stop this from coming into the house. Recycling bin is by the back door for most of that, any important mail is dealt with the day it comes in and then filed, shredded or recycled.

- important documents (passports, deeds etc)
Safe bolted to the floor in the bedroom closed

- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc)
Garage (lions share), or the guest room closet (fabric things)

- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room
We have a dedicated room, but if ew didn't have the room we do, we would simply have our adjustable dumbbells set against a wall, out of the way. Don't need anything else except a little space.

The rule in our house is that Everything must have a dedicated space. Since there's only so much space in our house, that means anything New that comes in displaces something else. We don't keep duplicates, don't store things that go unused for more than a year, and don't allow "clutter" to even start. This is taken to a point where we don't even have a "junk drawer" anywhere in the house.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
empty luggage when not in use? in my master bedroom walk-in closet. One large w/the other 2 stored inside, so only one piece takes up room.
- camera and video recording equipment? in the office desk drawer near the printer and photo paper.
- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else? master bath, away from visitors
- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? in my purse or a totebag
- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? on display-"use it or lose it"
- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc? na
- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc? designated area-craft room/office/library combo
- constant mail/paper that comes into the house? junk mail-trash or stack to look at, bills-bill holder slot, letters-letter slot to reply to
- important documents (passports, deeds etc) in the cardboard "safety deposit box" in my master bedroom closet
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc) garage
- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room -I use my community's clubhouse
- anything else that comes to mind?
Batteries, lightbulbs, candles and candle burners (electric), garden flags and window clings: I have a decorative 4 drawer chest in my foyer that holds these items all together so that they are easy to find when wanted/needed. It is so easy to decorate when all like things are together in the same drawer. And my motto is: "use it or lose it".

Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
And where would you store these if you do NOT have an option to have a basement?

I don’t have a basement. I do have a walkout den/family room, which we run a home business from.

Where is the "ideal" place to store....

- empty luggage when not in use? Spare bedroom closet.
- camera and video recording equipment? Cupboard in office nook
- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else? No kids. In bathroom closet. I could put a lock on it if I had kids.
- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? Chargers in multiple places in the house. Phones typically on bedside table.
- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? Throughout house. On shelves, hanging on walls.
- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc?spouse uses one spare bedroom. I use the garage.
- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc? Don’t own gift wrap. Sewing/crafts is synonymous with hobbies, so spare room or garage.
- constant mail/paper that comes into the house?office nook, then trash/recycle/file
- important documents (passports, deeds etc)office nook
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc) back deck or garden shed
- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym roomwe Goto a gym

Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
As to empty luggage - I live in a small apartment, and don't travel often, and decided to ditch luggage. When I take a trip, I just use soft-sided bags that just fold up flat in my closet. If I ever take another trip on a plane where I need real luggage, what I've done in the past, is just go to a thrift store and buy some cheap. The last time I flew out of the country to Canada, I needed more luggage to bring stuff back home, so I went to a thrift store in Canada and bought cheap used luggage to fly back home with.

Then, I just donate it back to another thrift store. I just got tired of it taking up space for the rare times I needed it. And i don't care what my luggage looks like, so it makes more sense for me to basically use disposable luggage and not store it.

The last time I went on a trip with a friend, we met at an AirBnB that we both drove to, and I brought my soft bags full of stuff, and a folding crate on wheels that folds up to the size of a briefcase that I use for hauling my groceries, etc., and I just put my soft bags into that and used it as my wheeled luggage. I just use a bungee cord to hold stuff on the cart, if necessary. I keep one wrapped around the handle of the cart.

Obviously, I have no shame lol. But, why store some big hunky thing, if you don't have the space?

Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
I wanted to start a thread to get an idea list from people who are planning homes or living in homes where they have thought of great storage solutions. Most homes have closets - and we all know where things like dishes or clothes go. But where is the best place to store these items - where do you store them now, and where WOULD you store them, in an ideal home if you were planning a home from scratch with all these things taken into account, to avoid clutter and have a great place for all these?

And where would you store these if you do NOT have an option to have a basement?

- empty luggage when not in use?
- camera and video recording equipment?
- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else?
- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go?
- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years?
- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc?
- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc?
- constant mail/paper that comes into the house?
- important documents (passports, deeds etc)
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc)
- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room
- anything else that comes to mind?
Luggage goes into large cupboards in garage.
We keep daily meds in the kitchen, and medical suplies in a bathroom
My sewing machine is in a large office type room, as is our computer
My wrapping paper is stored with craft supplies in my sewing area
We sort through mail and deal with it, usually on the kitchen counter
Important docs are in a locked, fireproof file cabinet
We keep some beach blankets in cabinets in our laundry room, and beach chairs hanging in the garage

Additionally, I turned a closet into a cleaning closet for vacuum, broom, mop, cleaning supplies abd equipment and rags,

We store paoer towels, other paper goods, water pitcher filters, and Christmas decor in our pantry. Christmas tree and ornaments are stored in garage cupboards.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:45 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Luggage goes into large cupboards in garage.
We keep daily meds in the kitchen, and medical suplies in a bathroom
My sewing machine is in a large office type room, as is our computer
My wrapping paper is stored with craft supplies in my sewing area
We sort through mail and deal with it, usually on the kitchen counter
Important docs are in a locked, fireproof file cabinet
We keep some beach blankets in cabinets in our laundry room, and beach chairs hanging in the garage

Additionally, I turned a closet into a cleaning closet for vacuum, broom, mop, cleaning supplies abd equipment and rags,

We store paoer towels, other paper goods, water pitcher filters, and Christmas decor in our pantry. Christmas tree and ornaments are stored in garage cupboards.
^^^Sounds just like our set up.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
You notice almost everybody (everybody?) keeps meds just where we're told not to because of humidity?
Yup, so do I

Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
........This is taken to a point where we don't even have a "junk drawer" anywhere in the house.

Not a junk drawer but two drawers of the house are the emergency drawers of batteries, tester, flashlights, pocket or buck or old dive knives, light sticks, candles, matches, short wave antennae for the weather radio, and the like. Everything that would be useful in the dark to know where it is in the dark. It is something that Mom taught me.

On camping gear, there are aspects of it around here that are used often and then that only used on expeditions. REI does well by me and I bought a lot of their duffel bags and one of the bigger ones is used as the tent bag. All the tents in active use (and not those I inherited) are kept in it and then said bag is slung up on a level in the garage or kept in the pick up truck bed. The sleeping bag is more often in use and it is stored in the vault room, slung up atop a safe because........pets have thought in the past it is a great thing to pee on.

Camping kitchen "irons" seem to be items that are constantly acquired mostly because when it comes to gathering gear for the trip, they can't be found. So one of the drawers in the kitchen have been dedicated to holding such things.

There is a shelf in the kitchen dedicated to old travel mugs and camping mugs. One or two for an individual is one thing, trying to keep up supplies for a whole crew, being green mind you, that changes season to season is another. So old travel mugs, hard plastic novelties, things like that, go up there to be gathered in a box when going out to the field.

My REI vacuum thermoses are fantastic. As I write this, I am drinking the coffee made Tuesday night and it was still warm today (did need a nuke). They are an additional camp item but in the last 2 weeks, they have once again moved to the front line. My office went non green (the K cup) in coffee, so I am bringing mine in from home.They get a corner on the counter .

Most difficult store item about camping? The 5 gallon water coolers of which I have 4 but after our last camp out, I think we need at least 6 in the field. In the house, they aren't a problem. They get a corner in the garage and are used to emergency water storage.

It is finding room in the truck that is already loaded with coolers, camping gear, field kitchen, dive gear, and the like!

Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:

- empty luggage when not in use? -attic or garage upper storage area
- camera and video recording equipment? - Freecycle. You have a phone.
- medicine/medical supplies (especially in a house with little kids). Do you keep it in the kitchen? Somewhere else? - bathroom as wife's prescription medicine is not dangerous nor interesting
- cell phones and other gadgets you need often/on the go? - my desk
- memorabilia/sentimental items you collect over the years? - trash
- large hobby items like music instruments (guitars/drums) or photography equipment, etc? - trash
- gift wrapping materials/sewing/crafts etc? - basement closet
- constant mail/paper that comes into the house? - trash
- important documents (passports, deeds etc) - safe
- outdoor recreational items (blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc) - garage
- exercise equipment, esp if you do not have a dedicated gym room - NA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House