U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2009, 03:06 PM

868 posts, read 1,562,476 times
Default Paint

This is a naive question I am sure but I know very little about this sort of stuff. My builder left some paint behind that was used on the interior walls for touching up etc. It has now become hardened and is no longer effective...do I just bring the big can to Lowes and they will match it? Is is just that simple? Does it take a long time or do I have to come back? Is it costly or like under $20 for a small can?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,195,002 times
Yes. Take it to any paint department and they can match it. It is easier if the forumla is still vivible ont he top. If it is, you cna just bring them the formula. If the formula sticker is not visible, then you need to bring in some of the paint and they have a machine that figures out the formula to match it. That method is less accurate, but no method will result in an exact perfect match. It may be so close you do nto notice the difference, but it will never be exact.

Remember too when you touch up, the paint color looks very very different when it is wet, especially dark colors.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
B4U

3,563 posts, read 3,924,339 times
The paint store will need a dry sample. They can dry a sample or your can. The longer it's left to dry, the truer the color. Depending on the finish - flat, semi, etc. the match will be better. flat matches better. Yes, a quart of paint is about half the cost of a gallon, even though it's 1/4 the quantity.
When applying, you're going to want to feather the application.

My question; why don't you just call the builder/painter and see what he used? The builder should have those details on file.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:50 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,195,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
My question; why don't you just call the builder/painter and see what he used? The builder should have those details on file.

Assuming that they live in a mass produced home rather than an individual home. However the sticker on the top of the can solves the problem entirely. You cna even write down the formula and throw away the can. Once you have the formula, you cna get a nearly perfect match anywhere. Be sure you write down whether it is interior or exterior, water or oil base and the sheen (eggshell, flat, satin, semi-gloss, etc). Brand is not that critical if you have the color formula.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:30 PM
B4U

Not all paint stores can adapt to all brands, and not all measure the same; whole oz., 48th of an oz & 96th of an oz. If they all use universal tints the letters; b=black, V=magenta, AX=1 of 3 different yellows, I= brown oxide, C=Yellow oxide, R= etc., etc. still doesn't quarantee a perfect match. All paint have varying degees of titanium dioxide and titanium white, which makes some bases whiter than some other whites, which get you a closer match, when color matching by formula or paint sample. Some whites actually look gray and that would alter the color from the get go. Even within the same paint company. Take Glidden for instance. They have their Evermore grade which is a whiter white base than their Americas Finest- contractor grade. Open the can, you'll see the Americas Finest starts out looking gray, and will never get as clean/clear color tint as the Evermore. And some of the cheaper brands can't even be tinted to the darkest colors. There bases can't handle it and there's not even enough room in the can for all the tint it would take.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 AM

732 posts, read 1,570,839 times
I was quite surprised the other day at Home Depot to find out that they can bring up formulas from other brands of paint also.

I had a Benjamin Moore paint chip with a color we loved on it, but the BM store was no where near our house. When I brought it in, they didn't even have to scan the color. The paint mixer just pulled up the Benjamin Moore paint formulation in their computer and gave me the exact color. This was using Behr paint, but it's formulated to the BM color, not one of Behr's colors, and it's an exact match.

So just another option to keep in mind. If you have the formula or color name and it's not the store's brand, they should still be able to bring up the exact color; not just the closest Home Depot or Lowes variant, but the exact color.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:27 AM

6,196 posts, read 3,206,460 times
B4U is correct but the only thing not mentioned here is the age of the house. If the walls were painted say 5 yrs ago then you will need to factor that in when matching color, the color will no longer be true because of house hold elements. Then you may be better off taking a sample off the wall, no smaller than a quarter to have it matched. Besure to take it off some where inconspicous and then repair the area.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 AM
B4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
B4U is correct but the only thing not mentioned here is the age of the house. If the walls were painted say 5 yrs ago then you will need to factor that in when matching color, the color will no longer be true because of house hold elements. Then you may be better off taking a sample off the wall, no smaller than a quarter to have it matched. Besure to take it off some where inconspicous and then repair the area.
That's true, and thanks for the add, the painter. The older the paint on the wall, the less likely the match to the can. Try taking a sample from behind an outlet or switch cover, or at the base of a wall, where alittle spackle will hide it.

Also where you store the old can matters, especially in regards to the temperature. It should be store indoors where humidity is the lowest and the temperature varies the least, at between 65-80 degrees for optimum storage.

I always marvel at those who store it in the garage year round and the bottoms and tops get rust, the paint seperates and the original color changes and the owner can't figure out why.

Also, I store my cans upside down. Not only does that keep them airtight, but it's easier to stir "down" to remix, than "up to remix.
I like Behr paint cans though as everything is plastic but the lid.

Also, if you have old paint that needs remixing, you can take those cans to H.D. and they will "shake" them for you. Just make sure to get a colored sticker on them as you enter the door to the store.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM

868 posts, read 1,562,476 times
Thank you all very much...what a lesson you have given me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House