Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 PM

15 posts, read 60,140 times

Advertisements

I have a HUGE (2-3 ft wide) birds nest in my attic. I just moved in, and don't know the history, but it appears that the attic vent screen was recently replaced in order to prevent birds from entering in the future - however no one removed the nests. I know the nest definitely should be removed because it is a health hazard, but I am trying to determine if it is necessary to also remove all of the insulation and replace it. I have a bid to do this for $5000. This is the first time I've been in a home with an attic, and I also want to know if I am breathing the air from the attic? Is this circulated through my house? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
You are being ripped off big time!!!!!! Go into the attic with a large black trash bag and a mask and remove the nest. If it appears that the insulation has bird droppings on it, don gloves and remove that part of the insulation that is dirty. Replace the bad insulation and that's the end.
What the $5000 include? That's like way too much.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
What Shane said!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
yep. I completely agree with ShaneSA,do what he suggested $5000 is total hogwash.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM

15 posts, read 60,140 times
ShaneSA was right. Another company just removed the nest for $125. It was contained within the screen so the insulation was fine. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
If someone tried to tell me an estimate like that, I would have said "Hold on sec..."

*run upstairs, into attic, grab nest, run back down* then SHOVE that nest up his arse and told him the fee to remove it from his posterior is $10,000.

Last edited by Threerun; 10-20-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-24-2011, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 11,293 times
curious why you ask if your house has the same air as your attic? I have an attic and find the air is'nt clear in the house. I think its infested as there are lots of tiny round black or red specks everywhere. Confused what I should do, I constantly vaccum and clean but cant get rid of these or know what they are, so good you got shot of that pesky nest it could have led to a nightmare what im having. good luck in your new home.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Where do you live?? For $5000 I will drive over and do it, LOL.

I would just take some boxes (easier than trash bags) and put on a mask like painters wear, put on gloves and throw the crap into the boxes.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,398 times
We commonly encounter large bird nests in attics, and can tell you first hand, I wouldn't suggest removing the nesting yourself, unless very small, and if you seek help, get several estimates. Now, I do not know about your particular situation or how bad it is. I can help try to bring some clarification as to what should be followed. Birds are relatively easy to remove from a attic, followed closely with repairing the openings where they are entering to achieve a solution. Birds do not chew to make openings like other critters, making sealing them out, easy. What requires more than a DIY nest removal in your attic, is understanding the dangers. Droppings, which includes bird droppings, in a attic, do not breakdown as if they were outside exposed to the elements. Where the problem becomes hazardous, is when droppings and nesting is disturbed either by someone removing the nest, or by birds continually moving over the area. There are around 25-60+ human communicable bird diseases depending on species of the bird causing the problem. These can range from zoonotic disease, viruses, pathogens, parasites, and fungal and bacterial diseases, often effecting people who have exposed themselves to that environment or with a weakened immune system. There is very little studies done on this subject, which is why you will unlikely find much information on the topic. As bird droppings dry and are disturbed, this can cause fungal spores or fecal particulates to become airborne in the attic atmosphere. In a attic, trying to remove a nest, and unprofessionally protected, can be a huge danger.
Bird damage in the attic can range from severe to minor, depending on the number of birds that have been entering the attic, and how long the problem has been occurring. The best thing to do when you notice a bird problem, is seek professional assistance immediately. Prolonged problems never get better on their own, and will only get worse. Nesting and droppings from birds can quickly accumulate, creating a hazardous environment. Bird droppings are linked to upper respiratory infections, like histoplasmosis, or other illnesses from inhalation, ingestion, or contact with droppings, especially when droppings accumulate. Dangers happen when bird droppings dry out in a attic. In addition to dropping risks, accumulation of nesting is another problem, with nest sizes reaching several feet in height and width. The presence of bird mites and other parasites can also be a risk, as professional assistance is often required, as damage and contamination can reach into the insulation and in some cases into the interior of the home.

Last edited by Animal Pros; 04-14-2016 at 04:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House